Southern foods you like

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll admit; i love some real collard greens with either bacon or some smoked ham hock meat and pepper as a side. Grits I love. Mom and stepdad makes a hot pickled okra with slices of jalapenos and hot bana pepper slices. Everyone loves cornbread too I think
wink.gif

What southern foods do you folks like. YES, its OK if you like real southern made sweet tea also
wink.gif

Last edited:
Yes, i often make black eye peas, spinach and some fire roasted tomatoes and some wild brown rice. Delicious!

Smoked turkey and chicken.

Cube steak and gravy. Grits. Brains an eggs( although i hardly eat that anymore). Country cured ham. Green beans, lima beans, pinto beans.

Yes cornbread too, not sweet like cake.

Real brewed ice tea without anything fruity added.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JHZR2
Most all. Fried oysters I'll leave...
for 4WD right after a dozen in the half shell …

Pimento and Cheese sandwiches. Had them in Kentucky and fell in love with it. Sooooo good but sooooo bad for you.

Quality Biscuits and Gravy

Fried Chicken done properly.

Last edited:
Where do I start? I live down South and get southern cooking all the time. Fried catfish is a favorite, served with coleslaw, cheese grits, hush puppies, bread & butter pickles and sliced onions.

I remember helping my mom and dad pick wild growing creasy greens during the recession. It's hard to remember how my mom made them, but I think she just blanched them with hot bacon grease. Dang they were so good.

I can't go too long without making a pot of butter beans with salt pork/streaked meat or sliced ham hock.

I love grits with salt and butter the best, but I do like some redeye gravy on them too for a change.

Got to have some fried livermush every now and then. I liked it fried extra crispy.

Fried Chicken Gizzards and Picked/Fried Green Tomatoes
Collard and Turnip greens are good too
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC

Quality Biscuits and Gravy

Fried Chicken done properly.

Mmmmmmm good!

We make gumbo (well our version...well my wife's version) every fortnight or so...when I get time I go through the whole process "properly"

Should do more cornbread with a celiac family.

I have seen people clean chitluns on TV shows, and I don't want any. Intestines is not my thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back