Sopus response on PP and QSUD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I emailed Sopus about the PP and QSUD that is sold at my local Walmart to see if they would give me any info between the two products. Here is my original message followed by their response..

------

My local store offers Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 in 5qt jugs, as well as another SOPUS Product. Quaker State Ultimate Durability. Both oils are available in the 0w20 weight I am looking for. There is a slight difference in pricing though. I was wondering if it would be possible to tell me how these two SOPUS products compare with each other?

Thank you for your Inquiry. In regards to your question, our Pennzoil
platinum 0W 20 and Quaker state Ultimate Durability 0W 20 are both
full synthetic oils and they both offer the same performance in terms
of antiwear, oxidation control, sludge deposits, active cleansing
agents, improve gas mileage, Enhanced emission system etc.

If you have any questions please contact us on 1-800-237-8645, option

Regards

Technical Services - U.O

---

Very informative lol. To me this can be interpreted as: These are two synthetic oils that perform in some way or another. Not sure if the performance is good or bad, simply that it is the same. This could also be interpreted that they are the same or very similar oils.

Just thought I'd share this in case anyone wants to know the companies opinion on the two products.

They are currently the same product. You can thank the Dexos spec for that. SOPUS saved money on the original Dexos license by getting a formula approved, then bottling it for both brands. That way they didn't have to pay for two licenses.

Originally Posted By: salv
They are currently the same product. You can thank the Dexos spec for that. SOPUS saved money on the original Dexos license by getting a formula approved, then bottling it for both brands. That way they didn't have to pay for two licenses.

Then I would see no reason not to save a couple of dollars on the QS. Plus they are running a $20.00 MIR, which makes the total cost of a 5qt WM Jug @ $1.49 when all is said in done. Sounds like a steal to me!

How do you know this?? Is the dexos1 license the same # on both products??

Last edited:
Even if they were exactly the same product they'd never tell you. Here's a case where you'll just have to go with your gut. Or buy a qt. of each and get a VOA and see if anything shows that might give you additional clues. Keep in mind a VOA could come in the same and the products still be different, don't expect them to back engineer the products for $25, or whatever the cost of the VOA is.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
They are not going to tell you anything that could impact the sales of each product.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Even if they were exactly the same product they'd never tell you.
^^^what they said^^^

You'd have to own way more lawyers than they do to get any large company to tell you anything of value.

Originally Posted By: Gabe
Take a look at the VOAs: http://www.pqiamerica.com/March2013PCMO/consolidatedpagefinl.html
I am confident that the person responding to your email is not in charge of marketing or formulations. What did you expect them to say??

They could say 'I don't know' or 'I can't tell you' but that's not really an acceptable answer. It's obvious from the PQIA report they are similar but definitely not the same product.

Last edited:
They are not going to tell you anything that could impact the sales of each product. Thats all there is to it.

I don't see the harm is stating something like: This is our flagship oil, that oil is second best, and so on. Price reflects the good-better-best approach.

Originally Posted By: Johnny248
They are not going to tell you anything that could impact the sales of each product. Thats all there is to it.

I don't see the harm is stating something like: This is our flagship oil, that oil is second best, and so on. Price reflects the good-better-best approach.

I think the approach they've taken might be annoying to some, but from a business standpoint is just fine. Let each product sell on its own merit, with the current marketing strategy. I'm sure they've done their homework and know a thing or two about marketing their products.

Originally Posted By: martinq
It's obvious from the PQIA report they are similar but definitely not the same product.

Not necessarily. The differences in TBN and additive concentrations are fairly close - close enough to chalk it up to blending variations IMO. OR perhaps they start out the same and then the Pennzoil batch gets more detergents. It really depends on the actual chemistry they are using in their DI packs.

I would be willing to bet that they aren't blended in the same facility, and so there could be lots of reasons for the variations. Even if the official "recipe" was identical.

My understanding was that GM got a nickel or so for every bottle sold with the Dexos logo as part of the licensing. So it would not matter if SOPUS puts it on one or multiple brands as the money structure is per bottle sold and not an across the board blanket one time license fee.

I'd speculate that throughout the Pennzoil-Quaker State merger and then the Shell acquisition that the business value of brand recognition and brand loyalty warranted keeping both alive. Then it's just a matter of fill the bottles, pick a price point, pick the marketing angle.

Maybe they're the same, maybe they're slight variations, but they're both fine oils at affordable prices. It seems like a good position for SOPUS to be in straddling 2 price points like that.

Us oil geeks that scrutinize UOA's and VOA's and the regular guys who buy what their daddy did, or the cheapest, or the bottle they like best are all served well.

Originally Posted By: otis24
I would use QSUD if it were available in an OW/x variation in my area.

The 5 Walmarts in my radius carry it. Bummer they don't have it would by you
frown.gif

They are most assuredly NOT the same oils. Your SOPUS rep has beeen misinformed---just look at the color difference of the virgin oils--one is traditional amber, the other is [censored] yellow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back