Sonic Deer Warning Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been putting a lot of miles in driving through an area here that is lousy with deer, and judging by the sheer number of carcasses I'm having to dodge while watching out for the live ones, they are just as likely to run out in front of a moving car as they are to run away from it (something which is no doubt forced to some extent by the ultra-tall game fences used along many stretches of the roads here).

So in a moment of "can't hurt, might just help", I grabbed a set of those deer whistlers or whatever they're called to affix to the front of my car. I had tried them in the past, but it was so long ago I can't remember if they made any difference, not to mention I rarely drove in areas where they might be useful. This latest set was inexpensive to say the least ($6), but seemed to be more intelligently designed than their relatively low cost would intimate. There was a drivers side (straight thru design) and a passenger side (not straight thru), although the instructions did not indicate what would happen if installed in swapped-sides fashion.

Anyway, after about 4 hours worth of travel back and forth thru the dangerous areas, I can report that the devices do appear to "work" as deer warning devices. It is clear that the deer are aware I am coming at them before I can see them, but their response to that fact is still very much unpredictable.

There are some deer who appear not to care about cars speeding by as they munch grass in the bar ditch, and for those deer, these sonic devices really don't change things very much. I was unlikely to hit any of those deer before, and I'm still unlikely to hit them now.

Then there are other deer who will take off running at the first sign of humans or their cars, and for those deer these devices do scare them into running before I have the opportunity to surprise them into running out in front of me. Although this does not include the skittish ones that may be grazing just in the other side of a small hill. They obviously cannot hear me coming even now until I crest the rise and the sound waves have a chance to hit them. By then it can be too late, thereby rendering the sonic devices just as ineffective as not having them.

So the bottom line, for me, is that these devices do fall under the category of "can't hurt, might just help." They certainly are not a panacea of deer collision prevention, but there are scenarios in which they can be helpful in preventing a collision with some deer.

Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, they do NOT appear to have any effect on skunks. Speaking of which, I need to go find a car wash now so I can try to deskunkify the undercarriage of The Bacon Hauler.

The issue with these devices is they are made to warn the deer of your presence (think of a train blowing a whistle as it's coming down a track). Deer usually respond to a disturbance with "flight", and in many cases flee towards the road/vehicle. Driving quietly past them seems to yield better results.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
The issue with these devices is they are made to warn the deer of your presence (think of a train blowing a whistle as it's coming down a track). Deer usually respond to a disturbance with "flight", and in many cases flee towards the road/vehicle. Driving quietly past them seems to yield better results.

They flee away from the perceived threat unless it's unclear from which direction the threat is coming. Surprising them while simultaneously blinding them with bright lights can surely result in them running into the roadway rather than away from it. Giving them some warning as to which direction the threat is coming from while switching to low beams has thus far yielded no collisions for me.

Although I have only passed a few dozen since installation, I'm satisfied the devices have certainly not made driving any more dangerous.

Originally Posted by NO2
Slow down at dusk and dawn.

YES this is the most cost effective method. Sonic Devices work as well as wishing away an accident.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by NO2

YES this is the most cost effective method. Sonic Devices work as well as wishing away an accident.

Does it work as well as vague and generic blanket statements?

Let's say I couldn't afford the $6, then what speed do I need to slow down to?

55 mph?

50 mph?

Already tried that. Only appreciable effect I could discern was adding 15 min to my round trip.

In the 12 years we owned it, my experience with a 2007 Nissan Versa was that when I saw a deer, I would lay on the horn and the deer
would always run away from me. It may have been the sound of the horn as other cars that I have driven
do not have that affect.

My current 2016 Subaru Forester is a deer magnet. I say this having hit 3 deer in 2 years. Laying on the horn with this car does nothing.
I never hit a deer until the Forester.

Originally Posted by The_Nuke
Originally Posted by NO2

55 mph?

50 mph?

Already tried that. Only appreciable effect I could discern was adding 15 min to my round trip.

Your car your wreck do what ever you want. I driven in a lot of deer country in my days and never came close.
But wise people always know more.

Where I live it is deer strike central. I have used the passive deer alerts/whistles and many others I know have used them. They either don't work at all or they are only minimally effective. I did hit a deer with them installed.
What I have now gone with is an active Hopkins 27512VA nVISION Trailblazer Electronic Deer Alert and it does appear to work. https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-27512VA-nVISION-Trailblazer-Electronic/dp/B0000DYV3N/
I can see the deer's reaction to it and I haven't even had any close calls since installing it. When they hear me coming they look right at me and freeze, or turn the other way and run the opposite direction (rather than across my path).
There is also the Hornet Electronic Deer Avoidance System, https://www.amazon.com/Hornet-Electronic-Avoidance-System-Black/dp/B018R6AZY4. Some motorcycle riders swear by this one. I can't endorse it because I haven't used it, and it is expensive.

My avoidance routine is simply to not ride in a vehicle with my sister. Deer and birds seem to enjoy hitting her car.........from the side, while she's driving.

21.gif

Originally Posted by NO2

55 mph?

50 mph?

Your car your wreck do what ever you want. I driven in a lot of deer country in my days and never came close.

Facetious observations notwithstanding, creating this thread has affirmed something that occurred to me long ago: starting a thread on BITOG that describes personal experiences and then participating in its subsequent discussion is a lot like pleasuring oneself with a cheese grater - amusing at first but mostly just painful in the end.

I guess the deer by me in NY are ignorant. Southern NY we have a lot of em but not as many big ones as more upstate or in NE. I put on a lot of miles; about 34k a year personal car and who knows how many as a patrol sergeant. My experience is deer do not do the same thing every time. I once shot one in a group of 4 to fill a doe tag for a soup kitchen donation. The group was less than 30ft wide. It was a cold winter and they found food. The one I shot dropped and the other 3 looked alarmed but never moved and kept on eating. The shot was about 95 yards, 6.8SPC from a 18" AR. Not very quiet form that distance.

I agree with reduced speed at night. I am usually a 75-85mph guy but at night during fall and winter more 70-75 due to the deer.

Last edited:
Stupid me, I mounted a set of these on my back bumper : I had deer chasing my car for miles !

Originally Posted by N3OO
Stupid me, I mounted a set of these on my back bumper : I had deer chasing my car for miles !

Im not sure you can tie that behavior to that mounting location so quickly. Go ahead and mount them on the front bumper but turned around backwards, and if the deer then start running toward you as you drive along, I think you're original conclusion is sound.
thumbsup2.gif

Facetious observations notwithstanding, creating this thread has affirmed something that occurred to me long ago: starting a thread on BITOG that describes personal experiences and then participating in its subsequent discussion is a lot like pleasuring oneself with a cheese grater - amusing at first but mostly just painful in the end.

I'm stealing this expression
crackmeup2.gif

That being said... I'm getting some for both my cars. Had some on my parents minivan and everything seemingly ran out of the road way quicker than without them.

Deer are crepuscular. Best to avoid driving during twilight. Slow down and be extra vigilant.

I've had a deer sonic device on my scooter for years and haven't yet encountered any furry critters. Doesn't prove a thing.
OTOH snakes crossing the road seem oblivious to my sonic devices.

[Linked Image]

NO2 said:

55 mph?

50 mph?

No magic slowing down does any real good at times or in all circumstances...

Circumatances #1 I had a deer running full tilt from the left side of my car from the woods... No slowing down would help that... When the posted speed limit is 55 mph... Hit two deer with the right front of two cars and this exact thing happened. In a circumstance where a deer is on a dead sprint from the woods... There is nothing you can do... Just not swerve off the road and hit a tree.

Deer behavior is important... Circumstance #2 If the deer is chilling and eating on the side of the road especially if a distance from the road or in a wide median.. That deer is in all likelihood not going to do anything stupid.

Circumstance #3 A deer that is standing perpendicular to the road... Is going to come put across the road at any moment... Stupidity soon to follow...

Circumstance #4 A deer with another deer on the other side of the road equalling one deer one each side of the road... Those deer are travelling... One or both deer are going to do something stupid...

The last two circumstances I do slow down or come to a complete stop... That is a appropriate action given everything I have seen with deer behavior.

Again... A deer on a full sprint from the woods... Nothing you can do...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back