Mobile licence plate reader

They don't need access to do that. They do know my VIN and they can send that to the state and then the state can cross-reference the VIN to my plate #.
So then what's the point? You are worried they have access to your plate when they already have access to your plate via another means? It's not personal information, it's public and they don't need your permission.

For a reality check, go to one of the many services that will look up a car by license plate. Even many auto parts chains can look up cars by license plates - Oreilly's being one.

My Mazda dealership does that, it's quite cool except 8 months into ownership, it was still showing my old car on their service drive screen.

In fairness, at that point you kind of are. If you can't make your payments for legitimate reasons you would turn your vehicle in rather than hiding it. Then you could take whatever out you wanted ahead of time.

I also imagine those choosing repo as their profession likely aren't the sharpest tools in the shed either.
Paint with a broad brush much? Lumping non payment and failure to turn in a car does not necessarily equal common criminal. I've never been down that road, but there's little doubt that some of those who don't immediately turn it in may be doing so because they can't or haven't made other arrangements to get to work, to continue paying (or catch up). Some have fallen on hard times or made simple mistakes and may be doing their darndest to rectify the situation.. And to CKN's point, they effectively hold other property that isnt related to the debt hostage, which is entirely wrong.

What privacy ? Driving down the street ? You can't go many places where you aren't already on somebody's camera . And the Courts have already ruled that you have no expectation of privacy while out in public .
I was a broadcasting major in college. We studied so many legal aspects of what you can and can’t say, and more to point, what you can and cant take a picture of with your camera. basically, if the camera and/or subject is located in a public place, it’s fair game. Even with personal things… if I take a picture of you in your living room and I’m standing in your yard, that’s not allowable. But if I’m standing on a public sidewalk and take the picture, it’s allowable because any person could see that without trespass. Therefore, if the camera is capturing things in a public place, on a public road, where anyone can see, it’s fair game. Edit - my data is old, so if there’s new info, know I’m out of date.

Back