Nanny Auto Devices

No there isn't, but with the average new car price increasing every year and now is ~$37k, I think most recently new cars have some or all of these systems, and every year more old cars get scrapped.
So my assumption that each year the US car fleet in general is safer than the previous is probably correct, no? And yet traffic fatalities are going up?

My guess is that these nanny systems allow more distracted driving which is the real problem. A set of human eyes attached to a reasonably attentive brain, with some training, and many hundreds of hours experience is still much more capable to avoid an accident than a computer. The trick is to keep the human watching the road and driving with good habits.

I'm sure eventually full self driving cars will be as safe as human piloted airline travel, but probably will require real time communications between vehicles and a virtual "slot car" system.
I still stand by the comment that the rise in fatalities in the last 2 years is due to COVID weirdness not distracted driving/related to car nannies...it had been tracking down except for the tick up in 2015 and I'm going with smart phones being the norm then and people texting and driving like crazy. I hardly see folks driving with their phones like I did back then. Data from wikipedia.

Capture.JPG

I like that high tech starter pedal there.

Millions of people lost their teef and fractured their skulls on those steering wheels. Ah the good old days.
I forgot about a collapsible steering column - a good, welcome, driver "transparent" design change and serious injury preventer.

I do like large diameter, skinny-rimmed, finger-ribbed tillers. Particularly the nice, sticky ABS plastic ones from 60's and 70's or the Eastman Tenite from the 40's and 50's.

I would need to add seatbelts. I don't feel safe without them and they keep me square in the seat if I doze off.

Almost forgot, Turn signal lamps too, it gets chilly putting the arm out to signal a turn when its sleeting out and 33 degrees.

Reactions: CKN
Never mind. Not worth the effort.

Funny, I was thinking the same. No hard feelings. I do understand there are more "medicated" folks on the road today, both legally and illegally. I just think that distracted driving seems to be a much more common and dangerous occurrence today.

Funny, I was thinking the same. No hard feelings. I do understand there are more "medicated" folks on the road today, both legally and illegally. I just think that distracted driving seems to be a much more common and dangerous occurrence today.
I am told by many insurance agents one of the primary reasons for the escalation in insurance rates is distracted driving......not "car nanny's" But then again-we have "insurance experts" on here as well....it seems.

I’m pretty sure the nanny saved me from wrecking the nice Camaro I rented and proceed to accelerate hard on an entrance ramp. Back end came loose and started to go sideways. Not sure if I lifted fast enough, or traction control kicked in, but it stayed on the road.

Either way, the lesson there is don’t buy a rental Camaro…..

I’m pretty sure the nanny saved me from wrecking the nice Camaro I rented and proceed to accelerate hard on an entrance ramp. Back end came loose and started to go sideways. Not sure if I lifted fast enough, or traction control kicked in, but it stayed on the road.

Either way, the lesson there is don’t buy a rental Camaro…..
Was it a V8? They have way too much power! I would want one with a stick to control the power application. But at over 500 gross HP and 6785 lb-ft torque at the rear wheels in first gear, no Average Joe consumer without some seat time behind the wheel can drive that safely - especially if he thinks he can womp on it at will.

But how was it otherwise?

I am told by many insurance agents one of the primary reasons for the escalation in insurance rates is distracted driving......not "car nanny's" But then again-we have "insurance experts" on here as well....it seems.
It absolutely is distracted driving.

Distracted driving is at the top, while intoxicated (alcohol or other substances) driving is still surprisingly close behind. The sad part is the car nannies don't help as much as some would believe. I've watched people hit stuff while I can hear the beeping from inside their car.

It absolutely is distracted driving.

Distracted driving is at the top, while intoxicated (alcohol or other substances) driving is still surprisingly close behind. The sad part is the car nannies don't help as much as some would believe. I've watched people hit stuff while I can hear the beeping from inside their car.
I would agree that if you are totally "out to lunch" behind the wheel nothing will help.

Was it a V8? They have way too much power! I would want one with a stick to control the power application. But at over 500 gross HP and 6785 lb-ft torque at the rear wheels in first gear, no Average Joe consumer without some seat time behind the wheel can drive that safely - especially if he thinks he can womp on it at will.

But how was it otherwise?
Yup. I think it was called a ZL-1? I’m not a Chevy guy, but I loved that car. Like the Challenger, it’s hard to see out of the back, but man was that car fun once I calibrated my foot. It was very comfortable and a nice driver on the highway.

However, I was thankful I was still alive to turn it in, and happily handed the keys back to the rental company. A car with that much power was like a drug to me. I turned 18 and out of control again, and wasn’t sure much tire would be left when I turned it in, or I wrecked it. My inability to have discipline behind a high horsepower car is why I drive a 4 cyl. Manual Jeep instead of the Challenger I would like to own.

IF it wasn’t for nanny controls, more people would die behind the wheel of Hellcats, Shelby’s, and ZL1’s.

Don't even get me started on my wife's 22' Subaru Outback. There is so much sh*t going on with that car. I just want to DRIVE the car without beeps, warnings, suggestions, notifications, updates, etc going off all the time. The God d*mn car WATCHES my face when I drive. Electrical tape solved that. There are more manuals for this car then there were for my M1A1 main battle tank in the Army. The feature I loved the best is the "auto" sensor rear lift gate. NEVER worked with our hands, as it is suppose to, but it certainly worked when the garage door came down. As soon as the door passed that sensor, the lift gate opened into the closing garage door. Thanks Subaru. You can turn off the feature, but Subaru should send it out with the default of the sensor being off! The only thing more irritating then this car is a lot of the people on one of the more popular Outback sites. It's like a cult and Subaru can do no wrong. Actually worse then Harley worshipers.

No power windows. No cruise. Manual trans. And a v10 ford truck. I want no lane assist or drive modes. My truck just works

No power windows. No cruise. Manual trans. And a v10 ford truck. I want no lane assist or drive modes. My truck just works
My 17 Frontier pickup does have power windows, and cruise control, and A/C, and maybe (I'm not sure) ABS, but non of those nanny things. So far, as that is the newest vehicle I have had I have never had any of the nanny stuff.

Back