Songs that give you goosebumps.

^ I don't want to derail the thread, but can you see why I say that?

The resulting sound in the Sting song sounds so Irish and Celtic or Gaelic to me. And I'm at least a quarter that...

The resulting sound in the Sting song sounds so Irish and Celtic or Gaelic to me. And I'm at least a quarter that...

Nope...just nope.

I do like and appreciate the bagpipes, and in some songs they can be quite lovely. There is no chance in heck that is what you are hearing in that song by Sting...that is either a poorly recorded violin (or other stringed instrument) or a synthesized string instrument.

I can also say that would be in my top 100 songs, and one I have listened to several hundred times (Sting - "Fields of Gold")

This song because 1. It sounds like the Lonestar hit to me and also 2. It's a lot like my life. 3. Its pretty.

I agree DriveHard, definitely a synthesized/computer generated sound.

Guys. This has been bugging me, "I hear wind instrument"
So I dug a little.

Remember.. 1993 ? Synthesizers, YES (Moog;) CGI, not so much.

This is a 3.5 minute ballad with very little crescendo, filled with sound. The instrumentation includes intermixing classical guitars, steady bass, soft shaker, atmospheric synth strings, and elegiac solos by Northumbrian small pipes (says Wikipedia) and harmonica. The guitar pattern that undulates within the later verses is maybe my favorite touch, conjuring an impression not just of memory but the feeling of memory.

Sooo...

Northumbrian small pipes ?

Source: https://jonquijano.com/365-songs/2017/5/31/94-fields-of-gold-by-sting

^ Just because I brought it up and yes I really do want to know, not guess at .

Another reason I think WIND INSTRUMENT is there isn't any bread between the notes, I *want* to say unlike a violin...

I've played clarinet before, not violin.

The synthesizer thing is a stretch to me.. Someone told me "That is not real pipe organ in the beginning of U2 'Where The Streets Have No Name, it synthesizer." That would be easier for me to believe...

Never heard of a Northumbrian Short Pipe before but now I have to know.

"Ri-cola!"...

And yes, this intro may just be what greets me when I die and go upstairs. It's that beautiful. Then transitions into very Oirish (Irish) guitar lol.. Edge..

Last edited:
This song because 1. It sounds like the Lonestar hit to me and also 2. It's a lot like my life. 3. Its pretty.

My bride and I don't officially have "a song" but this is one of our favorites...we both took very hard and broken roads, but 12 years later we have found a way to keep going together, happier than ever.

...and for me it qualifies...can't listen to it right now without tears ;-)

My bride and I don't officially have "a song" but this is one of our favorites...we both took very hard and broken roads, but 12 years later we have found a way to keep going together, happier than ever.

We Are equally passionate about music. :)

Do you like song by Keith Urban "Making Memories Of Us?"

Guys. This has been bugging me, "I hear wind instrument"
So I dug a little.

Remember.. 1993 ? Synthesizers, YES (Moog;) CGI, not so much.

Sooo...

Northumbrian small pipes ?

Source: https://jonquijano.com/365-songs/2017/5/31/94-fields-of-gold-by-sting

I have to hold to my thoughts...synth strings...this is from your own link you shared

"The instrumentation includes intermixing classical guitars, steady bass, soft shaker, atmospheric synth strings, and elegiac solos by Northumbrian small pipes (says Wikipedia) and harmonica"

I don't know how you did it, but you put the Sting song in the quotes.

So here's the beautiful song.. Heard first in my 240SX. LOVE.

:)

I LOVE good piano 🎹 in a song. Just good "music" as well.

I have to hold to my thoughts...synth strings...this is from your own link you shared

"The instrumentation includes intermixing classical guitars, steady bass, soft shaker, atmospheric synth strings, and elegiac solos by Northumbrian small pipes (says Wikipedia) and harmonica"

I'm hearing the synth at the end, I think I hear a lyre in the beginning? ... unless the funky part is part harmonica??

It sounds like an "Elegaic solo from a Northumbrian small pipe." I can place the classical guitars (a lyre?,) the soft shake,.. that leaves two.. ;)

I know we mentioned "poorly recorded violin." I'm not sure anything in a Sting song would be poorly recorded?

You could very well be right, I just need to hear the other instrument now lol.

For synthesizer magic, I go to (at this moment) Moody Blues 'In Your Wildest Dreams'...

^^^ hmmm...

Submitted:

(This one doesn't sound 100% the same but I only heard 4 seconds)

This song gives me goosebumps.

Simply because.. its so simple, sung so well, and so nice.

A distinct second, though OK, is this one.

They both can sing, and the Mariah song edges out the Boyz II Men duet "One sweet day" as her best. Sad songs.

Baby I lied. Deborah Allen.

Real easy on the eyes, too!

1611846622716.png

Had to learn this the hard way. Every word is true.

File Under "Educational.."

This song is just so cool. And VERY well put together.

It's like 8 songs in one.

I geek out to it...

Back