Something wrong with Quaker State?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JT1
Originally Posted By: rewote500
Originally Posted By: Johnny
What a shame, two more misinformed children.

More like two kids that will not have to deal with sludged up engines.....
33.gif

Sludge anyone?

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37317

The link you provided had no background info on the engine that was pictured. Forget it.

Does anyone actually believe that QS causes sludge besides rewote?

Last edited:
Any oil can cause issues when left in too long. When you're the #1 seller, Pennzoil, or the #2 seller, Quaker, that just means there are more people that use it, and more people that will leave it in too long and spread a bad reputation.

That Bronco link is ridiculous.

They are assuming that because its got a Penz filter that it must be Pennzoil oil too. Anybody can walk into Kragen and buy that filter and any oil they want.

That thread has no merit since theres no proof of the oil used and how often it was changed.

SLUDGE??? C'mon rewote500!! I wish we could all go back to the 1970's and 1980's too. Life was better than, IMO. However, motor oils have improved over the years. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY name brand oil.( with proper OCI). I've used all the name brand dino 5w20's, plus Amsoil 0w20, Mobil 1 5w20 EP, and regular M1 5w20 oils in my 2004 Honda Civic, Right now I have Quaker State GB 5w20 in it. It's never ran this smooth and quiet.Does that mean anything? I don't know, but my Buttometer likes it.

So Shell can't make a quality oil for the Quaker State line??
This is silly.
I'm using the green bottle 5/20 QS on my wife's Lincoln right now. No worries at all

Quaker State was the oil I used in my first car, a 1973 Olds 98 with a 455 V8. I used it because that was what the previous owner used. I eventually switched to Valvoline in that car, mainly because that's what friends of mine were using, and they were happy with it. I wasn't in any way unhappy with Quaker State, nor would I avoid using it today. I'd use it with full confidence if I was using dino oil and found a good deal on it. I feel that way with pretty much any oil these days.

Last edited:
The link you provided had no background info on the engine that was pictured. Forget it.

Does anyone actually believe that QS causes sludge besides rewote?

Nowhere in the post did I say the sludge from the link was tied to QS. However, there are earlier post on this thread where members say they did have sludge issues in the past with QS. Maybe it does not sludge now but in the past it did. Its not a rumor it happened. So I just figure, why chance it when other oils are available. If you like it thats great buy it all. I am just saying for the ORIGINAL POSTER that it has an ugly history that people still remember so they recommend other oils.

Yes indeed, ignorance will never die.

Can you read? There are two members on this very thread who know for a fact QS sludged up in engines in the past. I think you are correct, ignorance will in fact never die.

Originally Posted By: kender

SLUDGE??? C'mon rewote500!! I wish we could all go back to the 1970's and 1980's too. Life was better than, IMO. However, motor oils have improved over the years. I don't think you can go wrong with ANY name brand oil.( with proper OCI). I've used all the name brand dino 5w20's, plus Amsoil 0w20, Mobil 1 5w20 EP, and regular M1 5w20 oils in my 2004 Honda Civic, Right now I have Quaker State GB 5w20 in it. It's never ran this smooth and quiet.Does that mean anything? I don't know, but my Buttometer likes it.

Umm, sludge did not go away after the 1980's ended. Do a search on the Dodge 2.7 Liter engine and sludge.

Originally Posted By: Ashtray77
I can't find many recommendations for Quaker State on this site, is there something wrong with it? Thanks

I recommend both the regular and the synthetic oil.

There, now you have 2 more recommendations to add to the list.

Maybe it does not sludge now...

So I just figure, why chance it when other oils are available.

So you fully admit that your opinion might not have anything to do with reality, but you're sticking with it anyway? Why?

What kind of way is that to live? What kind of lesson is that for your kids?

Either way, please understand that there are people here whose opinions DO change when the facts change. It's not ignorance of the past, it's awareness of the present.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back