Someone hit my car and took off!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife came home from taking my daughter to ballet and I noticed that the front emblem to my Saturn was gone. I walked closer and seen some major scuffing of the bumper and crinkling of the paint in the center of the bumper. The hood has a minor dent above the headlight.

It appears that sometime today, either when I was at the mall for 10 minutes or when she was in ballet for an hour, that someone backed into the Saturn and took off!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Fortunately, the bumper is not cracked nor is anything broken. The emblem is only $7, but I hope that since the bumper is intact it will only need to be repainted. The thing that irks me is that this will have to come out of MY pocket, since I doubt it will cost more than my collision deductable!

Maybe this is an bad omen for this car...last fall I hit a very large dog on the highway. It did $1500 worth of damage! Maybe I should just buy a spare bumper and keep it on hand!
banghead.gif

My wife's car has this happen TWICE! People are such jerks . So rude. I saw an old lady do it my old church - she whammed someone's car, smiled at me, and jammed. What the devil is wrong with people?

words changed

[ September 19, 2005, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I have noticed that there are some people whose parking/deparking technique is to use their bumper as sort of a heavy duty curb feeler, and just drive until they hit something, then change direction and repeat. And I'm not talking just a gentle nudge, or old people with limited body flexibility.

The first time I saw it I thought it was an anomoly, but then there were others. It makes you want to mount spikes on your bumper - Here, hit THIS!

Indeed - not that I could afford a really nice set of wheels right now, but with Hyundai's and stuff going for $30,000 - it pays to only drive a beater to parking lot areas.

Check with your insurance. Hit and run may be covered with zero deductable. Only problem it may count against your account for future insurance raises.

I have had this happen 3 times over the years. One was a rental car while in Chicago. My insurance did cover mine and it didn't count against me. Thankfully most of my vehicle damage has all been when the cars were stationary and I wasn't in them.

I hate the malicious vandalism. I've had mirrors ripped off, hood ornaments torn off, paint scratched, etc. Not sure what people get out of doing this at random.

25 years ago a guy skidded into me while I was stopped at a light and he was making a right turn onto my street.

He drove away and 10 seconds later I told a Yonkers, NY cop who drove by what happened. His response was that he didn't chase fender benders.

It made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Only problem it may count against your account for future insurance raises.

This ticks me off to no end. Is a person involved in any kind of accident is stastically likely to get involved in another? Even if so... I pay for a service but don't use it, possibly for years. Now I actually have to use it and they charge me more, or in the case of homeowner's, they might cancel my policy. Now try to get a new policy!

Bunch of blood suckers.

Well, at least the good news is that it will only cost me about $170 to get it fixed. The bodyshop guy that we've known for many years is going to use a heat gun to get the 2 small wrinkles out of the bumper where the center by the emblwm got pushed in, and then will repaint it.

He said you may notice where the wrinkles were a little, but the guy does real good work.

Still makes me mad about the whole ordeal though!

It happened to me twice. once it was a $550 scuff on my Protege5's front bumper while it was in a parking lot and another time a guy backed into the driver's front fender of my beater car while making a 3 point turn. the guy drove off as I was standing in my front yard watching. I didn't get the license plate and there are so many terrorists..oops I mean tourists in this town it's impossible for the police to investigate anything.
I was mad just on principle, I didn't really care about the car.

quote:

I saw an old lady do it my old church - she whammed someone's car, smiled at me, and jammed. What the devil is wrong with people?

Happend to my wife's car. Someone took off her passenger side mirror. It's the world we live in. Selfish jerks who don't care about anyone but themselves.....even those church people!

I had a lady back into my 87 toyota corolla 8 yrs ago with her teenage son in the car. I was inside my house. my car was parked by my mailbox on the street. she backed up to talk to someone who she drove past. hit my car. the son said "he's going to call the cops" they took off. luckily, my next door neighbor saw the whole thing and told me what the son said. he knocked on my door and said "some lady hit your car and drove off" so I got his truck and we cruised the neighborhood looking. we found her station wagon. it was backed up in her driveway to hide the accident and the damage had my paint on her car. she was looking outside the window when she saw us in her driveway and didn't come out to say anything. I wrote down her license plate number, make and model. called the police. the police officer came the next day and told me "she said you were in the car when she hit you" My neighbor collaborated my story. btw, she didn't have insurance. her husband came over and gave my dad a junkyard taillight and junkyard bumper for my car. it was luck that I caught her, she could have drove to the mall after she hit me for several hours and I would have never found her car.

Someone hit and broke off the driver side mirror on my Sonoma last Friday and didn't even stop to say anything, I am curious how loud an event like that would be as I was in my house about 20 to 25 yards away sleeping when it happened with some windows in the house open and don't remember hearing anything considered "loud" while I was sleeping which usually wakes me up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back