Some tint questions

Looking for a solution for the direct sunlight kids get in the back seat (economy sedans, rear facing car seats) shining right on their face. It has me thinking about window tinting, which has never been on my radar.

Wondering if a 70% tint would be enough to do anything when getting direct sunlight through the rear or side windows?

Also, anyone have any experience with static cling film like this:

Wondering if this is a more "removable" option down the road or I'd just be setting myself up for it failing.

Aftermarket tint can be readily scraped off. I don't believe there is any restriction on a 4 door sedan rear windows tint level. Just be warned too dark can affect your vision through the windows at night.

Are you worried more about the heat or the light in their eyes? I haven't tried static cling tint but that might be a good option for flat surfaces. I would likely go to at least 50% if not 35% because likely 70% will allow plenty of harsh light through. Anything with a ceramic base will definitely cut heat transmission though.

If you are looking for something more temporary you can buy sun shades and they also sell window socks.
Those are just examples.

I have my windows tinted 15% and it makes it a whole bunch darker and cooler but if you have direct sun at least in Florida its still pretty intense for rear facing kids. You would be better off with a sun shade or similar device to take the sun out of their faces/eyes.

Aftermarket tint can be readily scraped off. I don't believe there is any restriction on a 4 door sedan rear windows tint level. Just be warned too dark can affect your vision through the windows at night.
I thought in NY rear side windows could only be 70. I could be wrong but saw that in a few places online.

Make sure you get the "good" UV protecting tint. I had 99% cut UV rays installed on my 2022 RAM. 50% sides, 30% back glass and 5% front window brow. The difference in heat rejection is out-standing!!!!!!!

70% is not much of a difference. At that point, it's pretty much just there for UV protection.

Looks like you can go much darker in NY state on your back window if you have outside mirrors.

Can the kids get sunglasses?

I thought in NY rear side windows could only be 70. I could be wrong but saw that in a few places online.

Only restriction I know of pertains to windshield and front side windows and that is 70% light transmission is required. I'm a dinosaur and at my job we did not enforce any tint restrictions on rear side windows on a 4-door sedan. That may have changed. I remember VTL 375 12?? something as the section. Take a moment and look it up to be sure. I'm done looking up any VTL statue ;)

Looking for a solution for the direct sunlight kids get in the back seat (economy sedans, rear facing car seats) shining right on their face. It has me thinking about window tinting, which has never been on my radar.

Wondering if a 70% tint would be enough to do anything when getting direct sunlight through the rear or side windows?

Wondering if this is a more "removable" option down the road or I'd just be setting myself up for it failing.
70% Visible Light Transmittance (VLT) is almost clear, so, it wouldn't do anything much for blocking light.

Any dark, and good luck passing safety inspection. And the government has been cracking down on stations that pass tint over the years also.

The static cling film... check out https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGSxKdQi4PtxAQsNzh1Er1g Tint Studio youtube channel

He's reviewed the Walmart Black magic static film already

Yes, the tint can be peeled off, but usually you have to deal with the residual adhesive that is stuck to the glass and under the weather strips.

70% is barely enough to block sunlight. IMO, you'd have to go down to 30% to get the sunlight reduced by an appreciable amount - especially in your case with a rear-facing car seat in a sedan.

NY laws requires the tint to be no less than 70%; unless I'm reading this wrong and I have it backwards.

Effective January 1st 2017, examination of tinted or shaded windows will be required during motor vehicle inspections. A video about this change is available on YouTube.

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark.

• The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light.
    • Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window.
  • This law also applies to the rear window unlessthe vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides.
    • The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.
  • Rear side windows must also allow at least seventy percent of light from the outside to pass through the window if the vehicle is classified as a
    • station wagon
    • sedan
    • hardtop
    • coupe
    • hatchback
    • convertible

If you are looking for something more temporary you can buy sun shades and they also sell window socks.
Those are just examples.

I have my windows tinted 15% and it makes it a whole bunch darker and cooler but if you have direct sun at least in Florida its still pretty intense for rear facing kids. You would be better off with a sun shade or similar device to take the sun out of their faces/eyes.
Have sun shades already on the sides, using some of the cling ones. I suppose I can find some for the back window too or put a couple of smaller ones on the back window, was looking for a better option though.

:) I’ve seen those socks on Amazon, would think they are not really a durable option in the long run though?

Maybe if it was done recently and not on a back window of a car. Took most of a day to remove the old tint on a back window so as not to damage the defroster. The tint comes off fine. It's the residue that is a pain.

Maybe.

70% is barely enough to block sunlight. IMO, you'd have to go down to 30% to get the sunlight reduced by an appreciable amount - especially in your case with a rear-facing car seat in a sedan.

NY laws requires the tint to be no less than 70%; unless I'm reading this wrong and I have it backwards.

If your car has rear view mirrors on both sides it does not apply to the rear side windows of a 4 door sedan.

If your car has rear view mirrors on both sides it does not apply to the rear side windows of a 4 door sedan.
That's incorrect. 70% VLT applies to side windows of passenger cars, but not rearmost window.

Trucks and SUV's are allowed to have darker than 70% VLT on the side windows, since from the factory, that is the case.

That's incorrect. 70% VLT applies to side windows of passenger cars, but not rearmost window.

Trucks and SUV's are allowed to have darker than 70% VLT on the side windows, since from the factory, that is the case.

I don't believe you are right on the rears but could be. It's been a while since I looked up any NYS VTL. Please show where in NYS VTL law there is an exclusion for SUV's or any exclusion of applicable law for ANY "from the factory" violation.

I don't believe you are right on the rears but could be. It's been a while since I looked up any NYS VTL. Please show where in NYS VTL law there is an exclusion for SUV's or any exclusion of applicable law for ANY "from the factory" violation.
See Pew's post that you quoted.

Vehicles registered as trucks and SUV's are not listed in the section that NY state law says 70% VLT for side windows

My passenger windows are 20% f & r. 5% eyebrow visor. Rear window is factory tinted. Last summer I never needed max a/c, not once. It gets real hot here for about 3-4 months each year.

Every State has standards. I would strongly advise you to go to a professional. DIY never comes out right. Prof. tint caN BE REMOVED.

Back