Some really nasty cold weather starts. YIKES!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I'll bet some of those boys have 15w40 in the pan.
laugh.gif

I think some of the starting issues might also be poor fuel quality because when it gets that cold here on rare occasion I never see cars sounding that hard to start.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I have never experienced something like this before. I started my car at -16F degrees last night. The engine was making a metal slapping sound. I am nervous. Do you guys think any damage could have occurred to the engine?

Its got 5w30 pennzoil platinum in it with like 2000 miles. It's a 1MZ-FE engine.

My Santa Fe would make a lifter ratting sound for sometimes what seemed like an eternity on cold starts no matter how thin the oil was and good the CCS number was. It survived many miles. Don't worry.

You know it's cold when there is frost on the inside of the windshield. (This morning -20C / -4F )

20190131_071421.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Kestas
Automakers qualify all parts and systems that go into a car down to -40°.

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC
You know it's cold when there is frost on the inside of the windshield. (This morning -20C / -4F )

You can get that at 20f, its more a function of moisture in the car..
wet boots, floor heater evaporates moisture, or 2-3 heavy breathers in the car.
I let the car air out for a min when I get home to avoid that.

Also you can multiquote with copy and paste but I guess that doesnt inflate your post count like 3 back to back posts in same thread.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I have never experienced something like this before. I started my car at -16F degrees last night. The engine was making a metal slapping sound. I am nervous. Do you guys think any damage could have occurred to the engine?

Its got 5w30 pennzoil platinum in it with like 2000 miles. It's a 1MZ-FE engine.

Probably not harmed much one time, but it isn't the best. What oil filter? Base down filters like yours can drain.

Originally Posted by Rand
Also you can multiquote with copy and paste but I guess that doesnt inflate your post count like 3 back to back posts in same thread.

All caught up in the post count. Who cares? Are there police looking out for those accumulating posts too quickly? Didn't know there was a speed limit...
smirk2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
I still have 10w-40 in the Mountaineer... it's -6 and I'm scared to try to start it.

It will be fine. I had straight sae40 in my ramcharger and it started fine @0F in Ohio.

Good to hear. I noticed that it does crank slower in the cold, just haven't attempted anything with it at this level of cold.

-30 and my son's old 2003 Grand Prix GTP started up with synthetic Max Life 10W30. My Focus with 0W20 spins right over, but the power steering pump or something made a little noise

Some of those sounded like diesels after starting. A quick look at the tach indicated it was probably a gasoline powered car.

I'd not want to buy a used car from the knuckleheads (human or computer) that ran the revs up to 5k on a cold engine.

Yeah some of them were revving quit high themselves or you see them mash their foot on the pedal right after it started. Yikes!

You can get that at 20f, its more a function of moisture in the car..
Was going to say something similar. In fact, anything below 32º F can see that happen - that's from moisture in the car. I've seen it more than once but usually only when the car was driven, then parked and it's already getting cold. The moisture doesn't have enough time to dissipate on its own. If the car is parked at 5pm, it gets colder hours later, it doesn't tend to happen as much.

To bad that forum software doesn't allow multi-quoting. That would be a revolutionary feature in forum software..... Oh wait, just about every forum software already has this feature.

Question about cold starts, engine block heaters, etc.... My wife's Fusion has one as it was originally delivered to WI. I added a remote start which she obviously uses "remotely". Does the heater need to be unplugged before she starts the car ?

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
Question about cold starts, engine block heaters, etc.... My wife's Fusion has one as it was originally delivered to WI. I added a remote start which she obviously uses "remotely". Does the heater need to be unplugged before she starts the car ?

No, it'll just continue to add a bit of heat to the coolant as it flows by it. We do that with our diesel which otherwise takes ages to get to operating temperature.

Thanks - might try it tonight/tomorrow morning. Then again, it will be balmy 19º F tomorrow morning.... Should have tried it Tuesday and Wednesday !

Originally Posted by StevieC
I have the vans block heater plugged in and have the battery on it's regular charger keeping it full and warm. 0w30 in the crankcase. Easy starting for me.
grin2.gif

So much prep!

I get out of the shower, hit the remote start button on the Jeep, and it'll be "comfortable" by the time I walk out the door. Has a huge AGM battery, I'm not worried about it starting.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson

It will unplug itself when she drives away. Kidding!

Those are some ugly sounding cold starts for sure. Impressive battery capacities though. Most new cars today come with batteries so wimpy, they wouldn't have cranked half as long before pooping out. I know the series of late model Subarus I owned had ridiculously low CCA batteries in them. They would likely never start at the temps in the above clips.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Originally Posted by Kestas
Automakers qualify all parts and systems that go into a car down to -40°.

Celcius or Fahrenheit?

I just assumed it was a joke question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back