Some Newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a '96 Geo Tracker and have a some newbie questions:
  • Any suggestions on what oil to use in this vehicle, they are known for piston slap and valvetrain noise at startup
  • What filter should I use, after doing some research it seems that a FL-400S would give me more capacity
  • What does "GC" stand for? I've seen it in several posts
The vehicle has 103,000 miles on it and I'm currently using Valvoline Maxlife 10w30 and a Purolator Filter.

Thanks,
TN_T
smile.gif

GC= German Castrol, its in the same bottle as Syntec just made in Germany.

If you wanted to stay with the dino I would stick with what you are using. If you wanted to try extending your intervals and go the synthetic route I would use 5w40 Delvac since you mentioned noise problems. GC is a little thicker too and would work.

Daily Drives:
-2003 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner XtraCab, 2.7 Liter , Mobil1 Synthetic SS 5W-30.
ODO 8100 Miles.
-1995 Toyota 4-Runner 3.0 V6, Mobil1 Synthetic SS 10W-30.
ODO 84500 Miles.
http://community.webshots.com/user/amkeer

On the back where it says SAE 10w30 or whatever it should say Made in Germany right there...I think.

All the ones here say Made in the USA. So either we don't have GC or it says it somewhere other than on the back next to the weight. /shrug

quote:

Originally posted by darkdan:
On the back where it says SAE 10w30 or whatever it should say Made in Germany right there...I think.

All the ones here say Made in the USA. So either we don't have GC or it says it somewhere other than on the back next to the weight. /shrug

Me thinks you mean 0W-30
wink.gif
. That is the grade of the German Castrol (GC). The 10W-30 is the "other Castrol"
frown.gif
. Still look for the made in Germany on the bottle. Because Castrol also makes a USA made 0W-30. This is not the same as the GC.

Whimsey

[ April 14, 2004, 09:46 AM: Message edited by: Whimsey ]

quote:

Originally posted by TN Tracker:
Thanks Amkeer, where can I purchase "GC" and how do I tell the difference?

Go to AutoZone to get the Castrol Syntec 0w-30 aka GC. The black bottle does not have an API starburst on the front and says "Made in Germany" on the back.

TNTracker: Yes, assuming you have the 1.6L engine, you should be able to go oversize, assuming you have room for a filter that's an inch or more longer than stock. Two very good "premium" filter options would be the Wix/Napa Gold #51516 and PureOne PL20195. Two good less expensive options would be Purolator L20195 and the FL400S you mentioned. All of the four previously-mentioned part numbers are oversized. Make sure to compare the gaskets, threads, base, and anti-drainback valve of any oversized filter to the "stock" filter called for, although it seems that the four numbers above are fully compatible for you.

Don't know about oil for your particular ride, but I'd suggest a conventional or high-mileage dino in whatever weight stated in your manual. To be honest, GC seems a bit of overkill in this application, but all this eventually comes down to the thickness of one's wallet.

Wow, you guys are a wealth of information! I went to Wally World tonight to compare the FL400S in ST and Motorcraft. Remember I'm a newbie but the Motorcraft seemed to be much better quality than the SuperTech. They also had Mobil 1 10w30 in the 5 quart jug for $19.98 but I've always heard that you shouldn't put synthetic in a car with over 100,000 miles, is this true? My goal is to quiet the engine somewhat and of course help the fuel economy if possible.

Hear's what I'm thinking:
  • change filter to Motorcraft FL400S to gain capacity (I checked Purolator's site and the specs are identical between OEM and the FL except for length)
  • switch to a synthetic if feasible (I have used Valvoline Syn-Blend in this vehicle before)

Thanks,
TN_T

You may notice more noise if you use the 10w30 M1. I would lean more towards Delvac if you are going the synth route. You may get some leaks switching to the synth.

I am suggesting that you stick with what you are using or go with Chevron Supreme 10w30 or 10w40.

quote:

I am reading about the Delvac right now. Any convenient sources for buying Delvac? We have autozone, advance auto and napa.

I haven't seen Delvac 1 anywhere, but I haven't tried Tractor Supply Corp. I'm wondering if the farm & fleet shops would stock oils such as this.

quote:

My goal is to quiet the engine somewhat and of course help the fuel economy if possible.

Hear's what I'm thinking:
  • change filter to Motorcraft FL400S to gain capacity (I checked Purolator's site and the specs are identical between OEM and the FL except for length)
  • switch to a synthetic if feasible (I have used Valvoline Syn-Blend in this vehicle before)

What you might save in gas mileage (pennies) will be eclipsed by the extra cost of Mobil 1 I would assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back