Some new tools

I've heard on the news and here and there that people steal Snap-on tools.
It's also near election so Lock 'em up! lol

I've had nothing but issues with MAC & Matco dealers. Just lately, Had a Matco Pilot Bearing/bushing Remover break, Hunted down a Matco truck & he said "That one has been discontinued & the upgrade will cost $50 cash".......I said, You keep this POS & I'll keep my $50!

Never had a Snap on or Cornwell dealer spout off nonsense like that.
Really? I was once on the Snap-on truck at work and a customers son was interested and came on the truck too look and the guy said I’ll sell to you if you are a professional but I won’t sell to a weekend warrior or some construction worker or anything like that. So after that we put in a complaint to Snap-on and they pulled him off of our route and gave us another guy. And he wouldn’t warranty my 3/4 socket since he said that I misused it. I took off a lug nut and it cracked the new guy warrantied it no questions asked.
The only problem I’ve had with the Mac dealer is he won’t knock a penny off of anything at all for anyone like my coworker bought a box and asked if he could have a hat and he said sure for $25.99
Matco- he is great and gives me a 15% discount each time cause I’ve bought a lot from him because he is the nicest out of all of them. And he gives me a free hat about every week

I've heard on the news and here and there that people steal Snap-on tools.
It's also near election so Lock 'em up! lol
Yeah I’ve had my Snap-on stuff stolen before a 12 and 13 double box end ratcheting wrench. I had mistakenly left my box unlocked one time and came in that Monday and it was gone and seen the then terminated coworker with it so I didn’t get it back I just bought a replacement.

I picked up a set of Matco feeler gauges at the pawn shop for $1 along with a Matco 13/16 swivel socket also for $1. And got a deep Mac socket 19mm 3/8 drive. I get a great deal there.

Not really, There are good mechanics that don't own a single Snap on tool. Tools don't make the mechanic. The most important tool is between your ears.

CDI is owned by Snap on & makes Snap on branded torque wrenches.

didn't know CDI is Snap-on ... So I've touched a Snap-on. lol

Btw, I've had cases under tight spots where the ratchet couldn't catch a teeth (gear?) even though it seemed to be enough room for the ratchet to travel and catch. Not sure what the technical term is but then I get my other better ratchet and it works. Also some have bigger head, etc. compared to better tools and are harder to work with.

I have a feeling Snap-on or more expensive tools have less issues and are more compact and refined plus better quality.

Not really, There are good mechanics that don't own a single Snap on tool. Tools don't make the mechanic. The most important tool is between your ears.

CDI is owned by Snap on & makes Snap on branded torque wrenches.
I always thought that was Precision Instruments that made thief torque wrenches.

Really? I was once on the Snap-on truck at work and a customers son was interested and came on the truck too look and the guy said I’ll sell to you if you are a professional but I won’t sell to a weekend warrior or some construction worker or anything like that. So after that we put in a complaint to Snap-on and they pulled him off of our route and gave us another guy. And he wouldn’t warranty my 3/4 socket since he said that I misused it. I took off a lug nut and it cracked the new guy warrantied it no questions asked.
The only problem I’ve had with the Mac dealer is he won’t knock a penny off of anything at all for anyone like my coworker bought a box and asked if he could have a hat and he said sure for $25.99
Matco- he is great and gives me a 15% discount each time cause I’ve bought a lot from him because he is the nicest out of all of them. And he gives me a free hat about every week

You're going to run across this, Every tool truck franchisee has a different personality. New franchisees are less likely to warrant stuff because the corporate training they JUST went through. In reality.....Snap on doesn't audit warranty claims on hand tools unless it's a ratchet. I've only had to have one SO ratchet body warrantied & it was actually 100% my fault. Didn't realise the fastener broke loose & kept going against a stop 'til the flex head broke off the handle, Yes....I was using a cheater!

You're going to run across this, Every tool truck franchisee has a different personality. New franchisees are less likely to warrant stuff because the corporate training they JUST went through. In reality.....Snap on doesn't audit warranty claims on hand tools unless it's a ratchet. I've only had to have one SO ratchet body warrantied & it was actually 100% my fault. Didn't realise the fastener broke loose & kept going against a stop 'til the flex head broke off the handle, Yes....I was using a cheater!
Yeah. At my old shop I had the same Matco dealer so that’s probably why he is really nice to me too. If at all possible I stay off the trucks I don’t need all that debt.

Good for you.....No reason to get in debt over hand tools. The only tool I owe money on is my A/C machine which I borrowed money from the bank for.

Never use the credit/financial arm of tool truck brands.
Yeah I do have some things i bought from the truck like for example my dad is a truck driver and Snap-on has a patent on the oil filter strap wrench for his truck so since they offer the design that works best for me I bought it from the truck and paid in full up front for it. Yes other brands offered it but it wasn’t the same and didn’t work as well. In those situations is usually the only time I go on the trucks. At that time I still got my student discount so I got it for almost nothing.

I always thought that was Precision Instruments that made thief torque wrenches.

They did and it is rumored they still make the split beams and dial types for Snap on (I don't know how true that is but it is very possible).
Snap on also owns Norbar which in their own right are a world class tool and manufacture for companies like Gedore, Wera, Facom and others.
Arguably the best torque wrenches are the premium ones made by Stahlwille, they are exclusive to Stahlwille and quite pricey, Hazet are quite good also. Any one of these tools is high quality and you can go wrong with any of them.

From its founding in 1938 until 2003, Precision Instruments' only customer was Snap-on Tools, for which it invented, patented and produced a variety of torque wrenches. Snap-on decided to change suppliers in 2002, and Precision Instruments invented itself as a marketing entity in order to continue in business, selling the same products and supporting users of its products already in the field.

I have mostly Snap On. A while back, one of my friends bought a Cornwell route and was the only Cornwell guy on Long Island. The tools were really nice so I bought some. For some reason after about five years, he sold it off.
Fast forward to now, a short time ago, I lost the 2.5mm molded grip allen wrench from my set. I tried to buy one online but turns out, Cornwell doesn't sell online. I called Cornwell for help. They put me in touch with my "area rep". The guy was in Philadelphia. He remembered my friend and told me there was no one else on LI. I ended up getting the wrench from him through one of his local dealers. What a pain.

I have mostly Snap On. A while back, one of my friends bought a Cornwell route and was the only Cornwell guy on Long Island. The tools were really nice so I bought some. For some reason after about five years, he sold it off.
Fast forward to now, a short time ago, I lost the 2.5mm molded grip allen wrench from my set. I tried to buy one online but turns out, Cornwell doesn't sell online. I called Cornwell for help. They put me in touch with my "area rep". The guy was in Philadelphia. He remembered my friend and told me there was no one else on LI. I ended up getting the wrench from him through one of his local dealers. What a pain.
I’ve bought stuff from the Cornwell site many of times. Do you mean they didn’t have that one for sale on the site? Or they didn’t sell tools on their site then?

I’ve bought stuff from the Cornwell site many of times. Do you mean they didn’t have that one for sale on the site? Or they didn’t sell tools on their site then?

This was just a few months ago. I brought the wrench up on Cornwell's site and when I tried to buy it, a little message popped up and said to contact my Cornwell Tool salesman. Since I didn't have one, I contacted Cornwell and they hooked me up with the Philly guy.

This was just a few months ago. I brought the wrench up on Cornwell's site and when I tried to buy it, a little message popped up and said to contact my Cornwell Tool salesman. Since I didn't have one, I contacted Cornwell and they hooked me up with the Philly guy.
Oh ok interesting. Maybe it’s because I don’t have a guy in my area. Cornwell doesn’t have anybody within I think 150 miles of me so they might sell based on distance.

Back