Mac Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Hey all, was wondering if anybody has any experience with Mac's XR8K 8", 3/8" drive ratchet and their VR11K 11", 1/2" drive ratchet.

I have never used any Mac tools but do have a couple of Snap On ratchets and then almost everything else Craftsman and really like both brands but due to Snap On taking "USA" off of their ratchets and Craftsman recently starting to export production of their sockets and ratchets I'm looking at other tool brands for building my collection and was wondering what people's opinions were here. I'm not a tech, but I would like to buy quality brands that will hold up for a long time.

So, any and all opinions on those Mac's and Mac tools in general are appreciated.
grin.gif

Craftsman sockets are still USA made. I was just at Sears yesterday. They had cleared out all the ones with old packaging recently. The new sockets with new packaging were still USA made.

If you want a good USA made ratchet, I would recommend Armstrong Maxx or Wright.

The Armstrongs are 60 or 88 tooth, depending on the size.

The Wrights are 82 tooth.

I have them both and they're both great.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Snap On taking "USA" off of their ratchets

HUH?????????

Snap-On's official line is that they're marketing them globally, so it makes sense to take off the "USA".

But, a lot of conspiracy theorists suspect that at least some parts of the ratchet are now imported, so it can't be marked "USA." There's a recently released Bahco ratchet (Bahco is owned by Snap-On) with an identical 80 tooth mechanism. It's made in Spain.

Last edited:
JHZR2,
I was as surprised and confused as you when I got a new Snap On Dual 80 FLF80 ratchet for Christmas and it didn't have the classic USA engraved underneath the Snap On logo on it. But go to Snap On's website and have a look for yourself at the pictures of their new ratchets and you'll see what I mean.

stephen9666,
My local Sears had sold most of its sockets on clearance when I checked last week, and according to a thread on a popular tool forum they were restocking other Sears stores with chinese made sockets. As for ratchets my local Sears has had the raised panel Craftsman ratchets in 1/4" drive and then some of the round handled ratchets that say made in China on them for several months.

Here's the link to thread on Chinese Craftsman sockets. Final Nail in the Craftsman Coffin

mac hand tools are on par with snapon,matco and Cornwell. but getting a broken tool repaired or replacef is a major fiasco. mac does not normally warranty stuff through the truck. you must mail the tool to them. and then you wait and wait. then they tell you that it's not fixable but you can buy a new one @20%off list. I lost a couple of tq wrenches to macs lies it took me 6 months and multiple phone calls to corperate and the regional manager to get a broken ratchet repaired.

Originally Posted By: Jordan_FX4

stephen9666,
My local Sears had sold most of its sockets on clearance when I checked last week, and according to a thread on a popular tool forum they were restocking other Sears stores with Chinese made sockets. As for ratchets my local Sears has had the raised panel Craftsman ratchets in 1/4" drive and then some of the round handled ratchets that say made in China on them for several months.

Here's the link to thread on Chinese Craftsman sockets. Final Nail in the Craftsman Coffin

The Craftsman ratchets have been Chinese or Taiwanese for a while now. In fact, I posted some threads on the topic here and on Garage Journal.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...740#Post2445740

And, you should read that thread on Garage Journal more carefully. Only the socket accessories are now Chinese. That includes extensions, swivels etc. No one has provided any pictures of Chinese sockets, besides the impact sockets, of course. I haven't even read any reports of Chinese sockets.

My store has cleared out the old sockets and replaced them with more USA made sockets, but with updated packaging. Now, could the sockets be replaced with Chinese sockets in the future? Perhaps. But it hasn't happened yet.

You can even see pictures I took in this thread:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153940

Last edited:
Thanks for catching my mistake!
blush.gif
I don't want to spread misinformation and I should have looked closer. It's still very frustrating though that Sears is replacing more Craftsman tools with Chinese counterparts.

Originally Posted By: Jordan_FX4
Thanks for catching my mistake!
blush.gif
I don't want to spread misinformation and I should have looked closer. It's still very frustrating though that Sears is replacing more Craftsman tools with Chinese counterparts.

No problem, it's easy to misread things like that. We've all done it.

I'm also bummed about the move to non-USA tools.
frown.gif

MAC Tools are very good tools; they're some of the best tools out there. The XR8K is a great ratchet if you
prefer a knurled handle. MAC 30 tooth ratchets work well with the Permatex 81950 red assembly lube.

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
If you want a good USA made ratchet, I would recommend Armstrong Maxx or Wright.

I'm really liking the new Wright ratchets I've picked up in the past year.

smile.gif

If you are concerned about buying "American" tools that are made in China, Mac Tools probably wouldn't be the best choice.

Originally Posted By: mmack66
If you are concerned about buying "American" tools that are made in China, Mac Tools probably wouldn't be the best choice.

Maybe I misread this, but, it appears you are saying Mac tools are not made in the U.S.A. Is that right?

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: mmack66

Maybe I misread this, but, it appears you are saying Mac tools are not made in the U.S.A. Is that right?

MAC seems to have outsourced more tools that the other pro brands. Well, it's more Stanley's doing than MAC's doing, since Stanley owns MAC.

But, not that many are from China. They offer a lot of Italian ratchets and a bunch of Taiwanese ratchets, wrenches and sockets.

You can still get USA made MAC sockets, wrenches, ratchets and some other tools. But, MAC has a lot of imported tools, too.

Last edited:
I buy those for the team at work and nobody has complained yet. Defiantly makes our customers happy when they see nice shiny name brand tools in the techs hands that are working on their units.

You can still get USA made MAC sockets, wrenches, ratchets and some other tools. But, MAC has a lot of imported tools, too.

What I don't understand is when a tool company has 1 or 2 part numbers that are
imported, some people automatically assume the whole entire line is imported...

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

What I don't understand is when a tool company has 1 or 2 part numbers that are
imported, some people automatically assume the whole entire line is imported...

I agree. Craftsman tools are like that.

stephen9666 said:

The Armstrongs are 60 or 88 tooth, depending on the size.

The Wrights are 82 tooth.

I have them both and they're both great.

JHZR2 said:
I second that. Love my new Armstrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back