Some Honda GC160 carnage....

Status
Not open for further replies.
This engine was headed to the metal recyclers...I decided to tear it down to see what gets a whole Honda engine scrapped...

002-1.jpg

007.jpg

Don't know how it happened, but the exhaust valve was basically welded to the piston. The timing belt was still intact, so that wasn't it. Someone else had already taken the valve cover off and removed the rocker arms.

Interesting stuff! I know early on, people freaked out over the fact the GC series use a timing belt. I have yet to hear of any belt issues. In fact this is the first grenaded GC pic I've seen.

Joel

My theory, lean fuel mixture that seems to plaque some of these models carbs maybe in combination with tight valve lash overheated the exhaust valve and it broke off. Although the piston looks like it has seen some rich mixture or maybe oil burning that could've been while it was running with the choke and not when off.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx
My theory, lean fuel mixture that seems to plaque some of these models carbs maybe in combination with tight valve lash overheated the exhaust valve and it broke off. Although the piston looks like it has seen some rich mixture or maybe oil burning that could've been while it was running with the choke and not when off.

+1. My money's on this theory. It jives with everything in that picture.

Originally Posted By: mechanicx

I think you're on to something. There is evidence the exhaust got very hot...there was aluminum from the block sort of melted to the threads of one of the muffler bolts.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Someone forgot to change the muffler bearings

+1 Classic muffler bearing failure. No one ever thinks to whip out the old oiler can and give 'em a few squirts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back