Some current Oil Change Prices

Status
Not open for further replies.
For most of us on this forum we do our own OCI and some do it to save money and others do it because we just enjoy the process of working on our on cars and being able to select the oil and filter of our choice. For the most part I usually choose a full synthetic oil and a quality filter and I can do the OCI for less than $25 with sales and even lower if I choose to do rebates. Yesterday as I was going into Wal-Mart they had a big advertisement for Pennzoil Platinum Oil and Filter exchange for the price of $44.95 which included their 30 point check. For me this price range is still to high for me to stop doing my own oil change, however in this mornings paper I do see an advertisement from a local shop that will do the oil exchange with Valvoline Synthetic Blend 5w-20 or 5w-30 with free tire rotation for the price of $17.95 for up to 6 quarts. That price with the free tire rotation does get my attention. Not sure if I will let them do my next oil change but I am curious if there are others that would take this offer and what are some of the prices you see in your area. Just for a point of reference I am just outside of North Austin in the city of Pflugerville TX.

I have 4 free oil changes and rotations on the Suburban. 2 from GM and 2 from the dealer.

For free I am not letting them touch my vehicle.

I don't need any surprises from them to raise my blood pressure.

I am 44 and have never had my maintenance performed by anyone else on any of my cars or equipment.

I get a little upset when I have to take my car in for a recall. (sitting in the waiting room wondering what they are messing up)

Last edited:
I took my Jeep in for the airbag recall, and they were offering a "synthetic oil change" 5 quarts and a filter for $89.99. A transfer case service for $184.99. Those were two prices that seemed to jump out at me. Obviously I'm in the wrong business. lol

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I took my Jeep in for the airbag recall, and they were offering a "synthetic oil change" 5 quarts and a filter for $89.99. A transfer case service for $184.99. Those were two prices that seemed to jump out at me. Obviously I'm in the wrong business. lol

Wow those prices jumped out at me also. It just floor me the jump in prices as these quick change service centers for Full Synthetic to Synthetic Blend. I was just checking some other service centers and it seems that if you choose full Synthetic the price is $50 and up with more prices being close to $60.

I'd love to know what percentage of the entire "oil change business" has the following dialogue.
HUSBAND: Honey, when you're out and about today, get the oil changed.
WIFE: OK.

The price jump to synthetics has always amazed me too. I wonder how many of those customers' cars don't get the premium oil they pay for.

At our repair shop we do lof's for 23.95 with 5 QTS. Of Kendall 5w30 syn blend ad a Napa pro select filter and tire rotation. Full syn which is Kendall is 55.95. Diff services are 89.99 with valvoline full syn diff fluid. Tranny flushes are the most expensive at 169.99 but that with full syn universal fluid by Pennzoil

Odds are extremely good that they're pricing that Synth blend oil change for $17.95 because they plan to hit up every customer with the "your car also needs a trans flush, coolant flush, and some new blinker fluid" line to try to add on another $300.

A local Fiat Chrysler dealership has a $52.95 6 quart, inspection, and tire rotation special with PPPP and a Mopar filter. Not bad and on the same coupon you could opt for the the syn-blend Pennzoil and Mopar filter for $46.95. So the synthetic mark-up is very fair IMO.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
A local Fiat Chrysler dealership has a $52.95 6 quart, inspection, and tire rotation special with PPPP and a Mopar filter. Not bad and on the same coupon you could opt for the the syn-blend Pennzoil and Mopar filter for $46.95. So the synthetic mark-up is very fair IMO.

That isn't that bad. I just remembered they get $89.99 for a 4 tire rotation and re-balance. Add that to a synthetic oil change and tax at the dealership I was at and you're looking at about a $200 service bill.

Like most who frequent the relevant forum, I can do a change using PPPP and an Ultra for around fifteen bucks.
Still, forty five dollars for a change using PP isn't a bad commercial price.
Where oil change specials are typically compromised is in the quality of the filter used.
They'll almost certainly use the same Fram Core along with the PP that they would with their cheapest oil change deal.
This oil filter is probably okay for shortish drains, but why even mess with PPPP if that's what you intend?
I don't know that I'd run an e-core for even most factory recommended drain intervals and probably not for the 10K+ drains that IOLMs often allow.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: dave1251

That isn't that bad. I just remembered they get $89.99 for a 4 tire rotation and re-balance. Add that to a synthetic oil change and tax at the dealership I was at and you're looking at about a $200 service bill.

I have no doubt what you have posted is accurate. The one time I took my RAM in for a oil change was $34.99 for Pennzoil synthetic blend and a tire rotation. No balance was done.

monro muffler $19.99 for vavoline conventional 29.00 for maxi life semi syn
59.95 for synpower syn. all include free tire rotation and brake inspection.

When I had surgery on my arm I needed someone to change the oil in my Mirage. I called jiffylube and asked them how much they said $90 I told them it only holds 3 quits and I could get a 5 quart jug at Walmart for $22 (0w20 required so pennzoil platinum) when I retire from the Army I'm opening an oil change place.

Last edited:
I'd love to own and operate an oil change and brake shop. If I never had to do anything else in life I'd be satisfied. Probably get set up with the 6 gallon boxes to widen my options for customers and Napa Proselects.

My girlfriend received an email from the local Mazda Dealership where she purchased her car. They are offering for $89.95 oil change with a synthetic blend and a 50 point inspection. It states full synthetic oil would be higher and tire rotation for $39. My thoughts were how many people are doing this and thinking it is a great deal or buying those two year maintenance packages when they purchase a car. I get it that some people do not have the ability or equipment to do these things, but there are other options. I take advantage of Discount Tires for free tire rotation and balance at every 5k miles.

I normally pay 25-35 bucks to have a shop or dealer change my oil, do basic services and rotate tires. I bring my own oil and filters. If I need wipers for example, I go ahead and let them change it (toyota wipers beat the aftermarket in quality) .
They do a good job greasing my driveline and everything.
I use an independent shop for the Beamer and I get to stand there and talk and watch.

I changed my own oil on the FJ last year, last time, with changing oil once a year it's not worth storing a catch pan. Much less the logistics of disposal. I have better things to do, I prefer to have someone else do it using the products of my choosing.

If you don't want to crawl around under a car, clean up potential spills, deal with oil disposal, etc..Find a shop or dealer willing to let you bring your own oil and filter if you want to. Small independents will just charge you an hourly rate.
With today's extended maintenance intervals and my time being more valuable than the cost I feel good about this.

Due to the HUGE mark up in oil prioces the dealer charges I'm sure they are not happy with customers who bring their own oil in for service . *It's the same as bringing your own wine into a higher end restaurant as there is also HUGE mark up on wine in restaurants. When I go to the dealer for service I just tell them I change my own with Hyundai approved oil and OEM filter , so please adjust my service charge accordingly .

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Due to the HUGE mark up in oil prioces the dealer charges I'm sure they are not happy with customers who bring their own oil in for service . *It's the same as bringing your own wine into a higher end restaurant as there is also HUGE mark up on wine in restaurants. When I go to the dealer for service I just tell them I change my own with Hyundai approved oil and OEM filter , so please adjust my service charge accordingly .

I never had a problem. I talk to the service advisor/jockey boss and tell him or her what I want and how it is going to happen. I am paying for a service and their oil disposal. Plus I get nIce quick wash and vacuum.

Kauffmann Tire here in Atlanta (advertised as "Cheap and Fast Oil Change Services"):
Valvoline Premium Conventional: $39
Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend: $59
Valvoline Full Synthetic Oil: $69

The only difference in their costs between the 3 is the price of the oil. At Wal-Mart, the price difference between VWB and MaxLife Blend is $1. VWB to Synpower is $4.50.

I don't know where they're getting "Cheap" from!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back