Sodium

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure they taught the difference between elements and compounds in grade school science class. I spent half of grade school in the principal's office but still managed to learn it. Makes me wonder what Merkava was up to when he was a kid.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: jeff78
Pretty sure they taught the difference between elements and compounds in grade school science class. I spent half of grade school in the principal's office but still managed to learn it. Makes me wonder what Merkava was up to when he was a kid.
grin.gif

People have to know that, ... you'd think anyway.
In school, they had those models.
moly.jpg

Its not hard to grasp that the round balls inside the models were representing "atoms, which are elements", and the links bound them together to create different shapes. Wow that was easy.

I think when people get confused about "sodium" is when the vernacular applied to diets just say "sodium" when they really mean NaCl.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Its not hard to grasp that the round balls inside the models were representing "atoms, which are elements", and the links bound them together to create different shapes. Wow that was easy.

I used to ask the teacher what the links were made of if the round balls were atoms.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I used to ask the teacher what the links were made of if the round balls were atoms.
grin.gif

It depends on what kind of bond it is.

grin.gif

They're made out of Eves
wink.gif

Since Valvo contains sodium,all it needs is some lime
laugh.gif
Here it is middle of the afternoon and I've got Coronas and Margaritas on my mind
wink.gif

grin.gif

Shared electrons. There are hydrogen bonds, ionic bonds, covalent bonds, Van derWaal forces, etc. The weaker the bond, the less stable the substance.

For example, the carbon to oxygen bonds in ethylene oxide and propylene oxide are quite strained with 60° bond angles vs. carbon typically forming covalent bond angles of 109° such as the tetrahedral crystal lattice known as diamond. This makes these substances valuable chemical intermediates for manufacturing things like ethylene glycol and propylene glycol for antifreeze for example as well as being key ingredients in thermobaric bombs, such as the MOAB. EO & PO make nitroglycerin look like really weak sauce.

When you do your lab experiment you'll witness elemental sodium busting the shared electron bonds in hydrogen hydroxide to form sodium hydroxide and diatomic hydrogen. But remember we need pictorial evidence you saw your answer firsthand!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Shared electrons. There are hydrogen bonds, ionic bonds, covalent bonds, Van derWaal forces, etc. The weaker the bond, the less stable the substance.

For example, the carbon to oxygen bonds in ethylene oxide and propylene oxide are quite strained with 60° bond angles vs. carbon typically forming covalent bond angles of 109° such as the tetrahedral crystal lattice known as diamond. This makes these substances valuable chemical intermediates as well as key ingredients in thermobaric bombs, such as the MOAB. EO & PO make nitroglycerin look like really weak sauce.

When you do your lab experiment you'll witness elemental sodium busting the shared electron bonds in hydrogen hydroxide to form sodium hydroxide and diatomic hydrogen. But remember we need pictorial evidence you saw your answer firsthand!

I don't know what you said but it sure sounds good.
grin.gif

Shared electrons.

Man, I thought I had real distractions in grade school growing up in a laid-back seaside community; it wasn't until the final semester of my senior year of high school that halter tops and ultra-short shorts were banned by the school district for being "too distracting to the classroom environment", and if you signed up for Marine Biology you got to get school credit for going to the beach to collect specimens with your classmates, many of which were in bikinis.

What in the world were you zoning out on in those years Merk?

What in the world were you zoning out on in those years Merk?

I know what electrons protons and neutrons are, but that other stuff you said registers in my brain as unnecessary information unless I want to become a chemistry buff.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bigj_16

...Why would an oil formulator add sodium to an oil, knowing they would actually have to add something else just to hopefully combat its' LSPI proclivity?

Go to post #4589291 and re-read the link.

Last edited:

For example, the carbon to oxygen bonds in ethylene oxide and propylene oxide are quite strained with 60° bond angles vs. carbon typically forming covalent bond angles of 109° such as the tetrahedral crystal lattice known as diamond. This makes these substances valuable chemical intermediates as well as key ingredients in thermobaric bombs, such as the MOAB. EO & PO make nitroglycerin look like really weak sauce.

I don't know what you said but it sure sounds good.
grin.gif

I understand him, but I've taken college chemistry
smile.gif

I spoke with Valvoline, they say they didn't change a single thing about their full synthetic oil for the dexos Gen 2 standard

Garak ,I understand we can talk about oil stashes,but it's integral to every one of car51's posts.Just sounds a little babyish for a grown man to covet bottles of motor oil. Besides,don't understand why you had to stick up for him

He likes to collect various products. Some of us just find it interesting, that's all. We all have something to complain about or brag about or stick up for in life, I suppose. I incessantly complaint about pricing and availability and nonsensical product lineups.

Exactly Garak. Some people like collecting different products/oils. And... Car51 often uses them to help out his friends and family. Win-win.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

...Why would an oil formulator add sodium to an oil, knowing they would actually have to add something else just to hopefully combat its' LSPI proclivity?

It all depends on which form of sodium Valvoline uses. I’m not a chemist but I will suspect that the statement that sodium contributes to LSPI is a broad brush statement and is not totally accurate.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: MolaKule

It all depends on which form of sodium Valvoline uses. I’m not a chemist but I will suspect that the statement that sodium contributes to LSPI is a broad brush statement and is not totally accurate.

It is accurate within what they have tested so far. Sodium acts as an accelerant in conjunction with calcium.
You have absoulutely nothing to back up your "broad brush", other than your non chemist thinking.

http://www.enginelabs.com/?p=203571
http://www.infineuminsight.com/insight/nov-2016/quenching-low-speed-pre-ignition
https://energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2016/06/f32/ft036_wagner_2016_o_web.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back