Sodas not reducing sugar content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone once told me that drinking soda with artificial sweeteners spikes your blood sugar just like regular soda. I tested this last month by drinking a 20 ounce diet coke over about 15 minutes. I then checked by blood glucose at 30 minutes, 1 hour, and 2 hours afterwards. I observed no change in BG levels. It stayed 92-95. I tried again a few days after drinking a glass of tea sweetened with splenda. Again, no observed change.

The part about them being carcinogens, I wouldn't doubt. On the other hand, google any type of food, drink, or consumable along with the word "cancer" and you'll see a bunch of links pop up. It's getting ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if they said breathing causes cancer. Oh, wait...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...s-disease-decrease-higher-altitudes.html

I'm done.
smirk2.gif

For any food I can think of, I always run into someone who tells me the downside of eating it. I even had someone criticize grapefruit.

In the end it's up to the consumer to educate themselves and to shop for healthier products. With all the choices out there today this should be very easy.

Originally Posted by PimTac
In the end it's up to the consumer to educate themselves and to shop for healthier products. With all the choices out there today this should be very easy.

You might think that with the endless information we have but childhood obesity and overall heath in this country is at its all time worst. I will say I do blame government and many policies they pushed over the years as to what was healthy and led many people down a path to disaster based on poor or false science.

Politicians with investments in the corn industry loosening regulations that allow high fructose syrup to be used in just about everything. I believe that was more of the driving force of the 10% ethanol content than the EPA.

Originally Posted by dave123
Originally Posted by PimTac

You might think that with the endless information we have but childhood obesity and overall heath in this country is at its all time worst. I will say I do blame government and many policies they pushed over the years as to what was healthy and led many people down a path to disaster based on poor or false science.

Health and healthcare education are evolving all the time. As a doctor once told me, "that's why we call it the practice of medicine".

Just when they figure one thing out, a new condition pops up.

We have the information, but people don't know what to do with it.

First, you have to read more than the headline. Headlines are like click bait.

XYZ gives lab rats cancer!

But you have to read than they gave the lab rats 1000 servings of XYZ for 3 months or something like that.

The ones that got a more typical daily dose of XYZ had no more incidence of cancer relative to the control.

But that isn't as sexy, so the headline shouts CANCER!

Some less that scrupulous marketing types will play up the CANCER!!!!! To sell you something. "Buy our gluten-free, fair Trade organic water to cleanse your body of toxins, like XYZ..."

There is a great deal of pseudoscience out there and people don't go to the trouble of doing research.

Just last week a friend was trying to tell me don't eat margarine because it is only one molecule away from being plastic or paint.

My response was don't drink water because it is one ATOM away from being hydrogen peroxide and that's even closer than being one molecule away.

But people buy this line of thinking because they get caught up in the hype and fail to do any serious critical reasoning.

take a look around + see how unhealthy-overweight people are, even kids! all soda is garbage, high fructose in most worse than sugar + fake chemical sweeteners just as bad + add to the fact that its bad for bone health. everyone needs to cut carbs drastically + eat more good fats like butter + no vegetable oils especially canola, corn or soy. check out KenDBerry MD you tubes for some eye opening facts that most Drs as well as advertisers lie.

When I first went on my weight loss journey, I tried the keto diet for a little while. However, I had a cholecystectomy so eating high fat had me on the toilet half the day and feeling lethargic as [censored]. I eat a more protein to fat balance now with around 50% protein, 45% fat, and 5% carbs. Seems to work great for me. I started in February at 265.8 lbs and today weighed in at 227.4 lbs.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Someone once told me that drinking soda with artificial sweeteners spikes your blood sugar just like regular soda. I tested this last month by drinking a 20 ounce diet coke over about 15 minutes. I then checked by blood glucose at 30 minutes, 1 hour, and 2 hours afterwards. I observed no change in BG levels. It stayed 92-95. I tried again a few days after drinking a glass of tea sweetened with splenda. Again, no observed change. ...

I have both a Glucose meter and a Ketone meter and I can also confirm that Aspartame, Stevia, Erythitol, Xylitol will not affect your blood sugar or ketone level if in Ketosis. And I have pushed the limit on these far past what I would consume to be sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back