Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Originally Posted by dbias
I go 60% Coke and 40% Jack Daniels

thumbsup2.gif

I never thought of that
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Soda is bottled poison. I was looking at some restaurant menus the other day online, its unbelievable they can manage to get 1200 calories huge carbs a sugar in a hamburger. Its no wonder there are so many fat people running around, most don't care anyway, if you say something to them you get accused of fat shaming.

What would you say to them? Do you think they don't already know they're fat?

Originally Posted by Linctex
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Too many 300 lb people getting long term health care in the millions of dollars.

Agreed.

....and they demand social Security disability payments,

reserved handicapped parking spaces

and electric mobility carts supplied by the big box store so they can putter around and buy more junk food

I'm not sure they live that long. You don't see too many 300+ 70 and 80+ year old people moving around. I had a tenant one that I used to refer to as the two pizza man. He had two large pizza's delivered, they were the local mom and pop types so were more like 18 inch pizza's. Anyway I asked him how were they and he said they were ok. He was probably over 350+ pounds. Died in his 40's from congestive heart failure about a year after diagnoses. Might have been on the list to get a heart transplant, but he didn't end up with one.

Originally Posted by camryrolla
Instead of synthetic sweeteners like sucralose or aspartame, look into the natural sweetener coming from the Stevia leaf and its extract. This South American plant has less risk of cancer and has many health benefits.

Yes and even Walmart sells a big bag of Stevia. I think it was $5-6 for a big bag of it. But the bag is very low in weight almost like it was full of air. Works great. I used it in the below version of chocolate chip cookies where I subbed out all the brown and regular sugar with Stevia. Since I had a craving for them and googled "healthy C.C. cookies". I put some oatmeal in a coffee grinder to make the oat flour which takes a few seconds but a blender will also work. Mashed banana or applesauce can be swapped for the oil. I add walnuts and dark CC chips. And they still taste great, made them last night.

https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/05/27/the-best-healthy-chocolate-chip-cookies/

^ have to scroll to the bottom for recipe.

Last edited:
If you want to see the sugar in a coke, let it go flat and have a taste. There's some of it that's required by the carbonation.

Originally Posted by Reggaemon
I like the taste of Coke but it does have way too much sugar. I add water so I'm drinking 60% Coke and the rest water, still tastes ok to me.

I'm guessing Coke is purposely oversugared by design in part so the taste will survive dilution by ice cubes.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
The soda-pop companies should pay into the Medicare & Medicaid funds to counter all the long-term health problems this has triggered. Too many 300 lb people getting long term health care in the millions of dollars.

Are the juice companies going to pay in too?

I used to drink 5-6 cans of coke a day up until this past February when I told I was diagnosed with diabetes. I immediately went cold turkey on them. Besides a couple days of cravings, it wasn't a hard transition. I drink Coke Zero now, but a single 12pk will last me about 2 weeks. I mostly just drink water or occasionally water with Mio flavoring. I stopped drinking cokes and started eating better on February 27. Since then, I'm down 32 lbs. My blood pressure has gone from 160/100 to 110/70, resting heart rate from high 90s to low 70s, sleeping better, mentally better (better focus and concentration), and I have a lot more energy.

The downside is my PTSD has been out of wack. I used to use sweets as a coping mechanism for my anxiety.

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
The downside is my PTSD has been out of wack. I used to use sweets as a coping mechanism for my anxiety.

Interesting.
I would have bet the sugar would have made your anxiety WORSE.

Originally Posted by cjcride

thumbsup2.gif

I never thought of that
smile.gif

50% Juicy Juice and 50% water for me.
I drink zero alcohol.

Why not just reduce the sugar content by say 30% or more? Seems like a no brainer

I can't say what's happening in the States, but up here, 591 mL bottles were the "standard" for pop. Coke went to 500 mL bottles so the calories printed on the bottle are less. They are still keeping the 355 mL cans, but putting 300 mL cans or something similar alongside for similar reasons.

As for reduced sugar beverages from Pepsi and Coke, we've already seen mixes with "ordinary" sweeteners in conjunction with calorie free sweeteners. I'm sure we'll see more experimentation. Personally, I like sugar, and I'm fortunate to have my health. I may or may not like reduced sugar pop. I've cut the sugar in my tea again, and am not complaining.

Interesting.

Strangely, it was the opposite effect. Perhaps a dopamine response or something like that. When I would have a panic attack, night terrors, etc... I wanted a coke, cinnamon roll, pie, cake, something comforting. Since ghosting sugar, I've started going fishing at least once a week. That's always been able to relax me.

I like the taste of Coke but it does have way too much sugar. I add water so I'm drinking 60% Coke and the rest water, still tastes ok to me.

You spelled Evan Williams wrong.

Interesting.

Most likely it was working on the dopamine receptors and now that the sweets are gone so is the dopamine making it worse. I struggle with anxiety myself although I'm sure it's nowhere near PTSD but it was pretty bad a few years back.

Originally Posted by Garak
Why not just reduce the sugar content by say 30% or more? Seems like a no brainer

I can't say what's happening in the States, but up here, 591 mL bottles were the "standard" for pop. Coke went to 500 mL bottles so the calories printed on the bottle are less. They are still keeping the 355 mL cans, but putting 300 mL cans or something similar alongside for similar reasons.

As for reduced sugar beverages from Pepsi and Coke, we've already seen mixes with "ordinary" sweeteners in conjunction with calorie free sweeteners. I'm sure we'll see more experimentation. Personally, I like sugar, and I'm fortunate to have my health. I may or may not like reduced sugar pop. I've cut the sugar in my tea again, and am not complaining.

I think here they sell small can half the size of the regular can at the same price as the big cans essentially padding the bottom line nicely.

Yes, that is the other bonus for them.
wink.gif
The ordinary cans sell cheaper per can (and far cheaper per volume). As an aside, the 591 mL size (and the 500 mL Coke now) has the worst price per volume of any product, and the lowest reasonable markup for retailers.

Aspartame isn't too far off chemically from methanol. If your Diet Coke (or whatever) gets warm, the aspartame can cause symptoms similar to methanol poisoning (blindness, etc).

Diet Coke in a fountain setting also has saccharine in addition to the aspartame.

In some locations, Mexican Coke and Pepsi are available in glass bottles, made with sugar instead of corn syrup. I'm thinking of trying some soon.

The throwback Pepsi and Mountain Dew definitely have a different taste than the regular stuff.

If the companies reduce the sugar content, they seem to add artificial sweeteners, so any benefit would be lost, and makes it worse. I used to like Gatorade G2, until I looked closer at the label and saw the artificial junk in it.

Originally Posted by hatt

You spelled Evan Williams wrong.

You spelled Buffalo Trace wrong. Hold the Coke for mine.

I drink zero alcohol, zero fruit juices, zero soda pop of and version. Knowing what it does do the body is reason enough. Occasionally....for a treat I'll have a glass of chocolate milk....other than that I drink only

W A T E R

I rarely have a regular coke. Probably 2012 in Italy after a day of walking in nearly 100 degree heat. I felt like I something was off. So a full leaded coke and a mineral water and about 30 minutes later I was right as rain.

As someone who borders on being diabetic (if not technically a T2D patient) I watch my carb intake.

I do like a Coke Zero with a splash of Fanta Orange if a soda fountain has that combination. Reminds me of the Mezzo Mix I could get in Germany when I was there in the late 1980s.

But as others have mentioned, I now drink coffee with a splash of heavy cream, no sweetners, the flavored sparking waters such as the Sparkling Ice I can get at Sam's Club, or the Propel drink mix generics that I"ll often mix into my Camelbak water bottle I take to the gym.

If I am out drinking adult beverages, I make sure to drink a full glass of water between drinks. So a beer, a full glass of water and then if I still want to drink something, I'll have another beer after the water is done.

I don't deny myself much, but I do employ strategies that limit those things of questionable value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back