So what's the "go-to" PEA based fuel additive? Indirect and direct injection engines...

I know techron and redline were the go-to's backing the day with Gumout lately coming back into the picture. I was wondering what is the one to get or look at now days? My wife has a 2015 Ford edge with a direct injection engine. I noticed the idle felt a bit, rougher? No issues to note and the car has 60k on it.

It doesn't matter because they cannot "interact" with GDI as the whole point of the issue is that unlike PFI, the gasoline never washes the intake valve. You can try to put unicorn-tears© into a fuel injection cleaner and you know what? It won't matter either as the unicorn-tears® will never touch those valve stems....

Techron Complete.

I try to get it when the parts stores do a buy one get one, but I haven’t seen that happen lately. I know it won’t touch the intake valves of my GDI Kia, but I like to think it helps keep the injectors and combustion chamber clean-er. Plus, it makes me feel good.

Attachments

• E038BF98-E292-400A-93D9-4F0E99ADA0DF.jpeg
    E038BF98-E292-400A-93D9-4F0E99ADA0DF.jpeg
    130.4 KB · Views: 116
It doesn't matter because they cannot "interact" with GDI as the whole point of the issue is that unlike PFI, the gasoline never washes the intake valve. You can try to put unicorn-tears© into a fuel injection cleaner and you know what? It won't matter either as the unicorn-tears® will never touch those valve stems....
Understood but it'll help the injectors, no?

Add this to the list
Amsoil PI
RoyalPurple MaxClean
STP Ultra 5-in-1
Lubegard Booster
3m
BG 44k
Lucas DeepClean
Schaeffers 131 and 131c
Liquimoly DIjectron, Jectron, VentilSauber
MPT fuel system cleaner

GDI injectors get even more dirtier than port injectors. So, continue to use a bottle every now and then, and/or stick with toptier fuel.

For the intake port/valve deposits, you'll need any of the foam/spray/aerated intake cleaners.

As always, have no brand loyalty. Grab what is on sale or at local stores. I tend to just rotate among what is available and don't get hung up on whatever brand is the current fad.

Last edited:
Don't some brands have a higher concentration than others. Much like in oil formulating, I'm sure there's a concentration of PEA in fuel where it's effect diminishes. Any data on what concentration that is and how we can apply it to our backyard chemistry?

We don't worry about concentrations. We just buy any of the products and use it. Read the labelling for the 'marketing'. PEA isn't the only fuel system chemical out there. And, it has its issues.

Techron or Gumout Regane or Redline
Someone would need to make a pretty strong case that there is an alternate product that:
A) actually has PEA - some of the other products mentioned in this thread there is insufficient information to trust that it has PEA.
B) The treat rate and cost per treatment (cost per PEA) make it a contender.

Don't some brands have a higher concentration than others. Much like in oil formulating, I'm sure there's a concentration of PEA in fuel where it's effect diminishes. Any data on what concentration that is and how we can apply it to our backyard chemistry?
I would say not, the good products contain PEA concentrations ~25-35%. Anything less and they're selling diluting distillates, so why bother considering them.
Anything more is usually for special situations and they sell it for a premium. IE: marine products where the cost/treat rate don't make it economical.

We don't worry about concentrations. We just buy any of the products and use it. Read the labelling for the 'marketing'. PEA isn't the only fuel system chemical out there. And, it has its issues.
We do worry about concentrations. We try to be an informed consumer here on BITOG.

Please elaborate on other chemicals, what the issues are with PEA, and which products we should consider and why...?

Techron Complete.

I try to get it when the parts stores do a buy one get one, but I haven’t seen that happen lately. I know it won’t touch the intake valves of my GDI Kia, but I like to think it helps keep the injectors and combustion chamber clean-er. Plus, it makes me feel good.
I see Hyundai rebranded bottle of techron selling on Amazon, guess that's a sign of endorsement.

Last edited:
Well if the PEA survives,goes down the cylinder walls and into the crankcase it's possible that it could indirectly get there. You could use it, but would recommend doing a gdi throttle body cleaning at the same time.

These kind of cleanings have me paranoid with breaking particles off and lodging somewhere they shouldn't. May end up Scaring a cylinder wall or something lol

And you'll get deposits from excessive PEA too. PEA isn't the only cleaner available, and it is definitely not the 'end all' product.
Solvents, alcohols/naptha, esters, PIBa/m/s, and even those distillates,.... depends on the manufacturer and method, and not all is listed in marketing or sds info.

I think the important thing was... passing the ol' BMW ASTM d5500, or d6201, or d5598. I'd be more impressed with printed results from ANY of the products mentioned in this thread. Few might mention it with their marketing info.

As such, I am NOT anti the non-PEA products. So, try a can of Berryman B12, Seafoam, or the Schaeffers 131/131c.

Back