So much for using a reusable transmission pan gasket vs. new or RTV.

Read here all the time about how the reusable gaskets can actually be, you know, reused. Well I fell for it and it bit me in the behind. 2 hours after filling the pan I see this, and yes I torqued the bolts to spec.

leak.jpg

Should have used the RTV as I have always suggested myself. Now I'll have to do it all over again and have wasted 6 quarts of fluid.

What brand of gasket did you use? Did you only get one use, and this is the first time you tried to re-use it?

Save the fluid and re-use it... The oil is sucked up through the filter so any possible debris will be cleaned by the filter. No need to waste good oil IMO.

FWIW, I would always use a gasket. I hate using RTV and this is coming from an owner of several Chrysler vehicles. For some reason they don't believe in gaskets and use RTV on many factory applications. I replace the RTV with gaskets to avoid the headache.

just my $0.02

That is not a reusable gasket, that is a cheap rubber one as can be seen as it is spreading out over the lip. This is a metal core reusable..

Edit: This is only an example it is probably not for this transmission. back all the bolts off a little and just snug them with a 1/4 drive in the palm the leak may stop, you have spread the gasket but may not have broken it like cork.

Last edited:
That is not a reusable gasket, that is a cheap rubber one as can be seen as it is spreading out over the lip. This is a metal core reusable..

Edit: This is only an example it is probably not for this transmission. back all the bolts off a little and just snug them with a 1/4 drive in the palm the leak may stop, you have spread the gasket but may not have broken it like cork.
No, this is a reusable style with metal grommets at each bolt hole,

Transmission filter.jpg

That must have been over tightened at some point, it is spreading. I don't know if it is the picture but look at some of those grommets like the one on the lower bottom left and others, that one looks buggered compared to the round one next to it on the right.
Put a new OE gasket on it and just snug it up and a hair, leave the TW alone.

The one with the red circle does not look good, a good one is circled in greeen.

Transmission filter.jpg

That's from the angle of the picture. The metal bits are oval shaped pieces bonded into the gasket material. The centers are all round. Besides, it's leaking from more than that area.

I’ve heard about reusable gaskets although I’ve never tried it. Too simple to use new and be one and done vs a repeat because of a leak. I guess it could be a different story if the budget should become an issue.
Did you have a trans leak before this operation? If so there could be another location/source above the pan causing the illusion of a trans pan leak.

Last edited:
Read here all the time about how the reusable gaskets can actually be, you know, reused. Well I fell for it and it bit me in the behind. 2 hours after filling the pan I see this, and yes I torqued the bolts to spec.

View attachment 108512

Should have used the RTV as I have always suggested myself. Now I'll have to do it all over again and have wasted 6 quarts of fluid.
Dude, i have literally scrapped the gaskets off, and replaced them with NOTHING but RTV. The trick is to clean all oil off the surfaces, then get the thickness right, and just hand tighten the bolts. Let it dry for a day, then torque it down a 1/2 turn.

Reusable within reason, I don't recall many issues with reusing AX4N pan gasket but it's been years since I've seen one.

That rubber part of the gasket CAN compress over time losing it's ability to seal after the original bond is broke, However.....Looks like it was already leaking?

Why put RTV where it doesn't belong?

Just buy a new gasket…
Except this is supposed to be a reusable gasket.

Dude, i have literally scrapped the gaskets off, and replaced them with NOTHING but RTV. The trick is to clean all oil off the surfaces, then get the thickness right, and just hand tighten the bolts. Let it dry for a day, then torque it down a 1/2 turn.
Exactly, and that's what I should have done. Figured just this one time is would be ok.

Reusable within reason, I don't recall many issues with reusing AX4N pan gasket but it's been years since I've seen one.

That rubber part of the gasket CAN compress over time losing it's ability to seal after the original bond is broke, However.....Looks like it was already leaking?

Why put RTV where it doesn't belong?
Short of a microscopic examination, it looked perfectly fine and had only 65,000 miles on it at most. If that rubber part of the gasket CAN compress over time losing it's ability to seal after, why is it called reusable? It wasn't leaking before. Use RTV because of it's superior sealing and bonding capabilities.

Could be that the rubber is starting to go bad, or an improper install. I'm still reusing the OE Ford transmission pan gasket after 4+ changes and 15 years...still works fine.

RTV is superior at sealing if properly applied and it must be on a perfectly clean/dry surface. But IMO I would always use a gasket where possible especially on sensitive parts like a transmission. It's incredibly easy for bits to fall off on the inside. It also makes servicing in the future a lot easier.

It's been awhile since AX4N's have been in production, So I'm guessing the gasket is at least 20 years old.

I can't think of any issues with all the 4R70W, 6R80, 4R100, 5R110, 6R140 gaskets I've reused over several years that weren't 10 years or more old or had a ton of miles.

Ford didn't stamp "reusable" on the pan for your benefit, They don't want foot the bill for new gaskets under warranty when they can be reused 99% of the time during that time frame.

Your vehicle....Your decision, Makes me no difference, But you're advocating RTV is a better way....I disagree & think it's pretty hack thing to do when both Ford & GM explicitly state to not use RTV on their units AND engineered some high quality gaskets that may not be 100% reusable in perpetuity, But still a big leap from Resin/Fiber/Paper matrix, Cork, & pure Rubber Gaskets that were once the norm.

Resin/Fiber/Paper matrix pan gaskets actually worked quite well when installed correctly, ALL 4L60E's had this style from the factory. After a couple heat cycles, The resin in the gasket activates & basically glues the pan to the trans case. The issue's are....It's not at all reusable, The pan bolts are easily under or over torqued, And the pan is easily distorted if the bolts are over torqued.

Yes.....Some units call for RTV to seal the sump pan (Lots of Chrysler & some Toyota/Aisin units), But the pan flange design is different if you've ever noticed, Has little reservoirs for RTV between the bolt holes.

And a personal issue I have with using RTV......I have to clean up that mess more than I should have too, RTV jammed in every blind bolt hole & Dried RTV all over every bolt eats up time I could be using to diagnose & repair things. This goes for anything where RTV was used for the wrong application. Like Coolant O-rings, Oil pump housings, Using both a gasket & RTV.....Though there are situations where surface imperfections or pitting makes it necessary.

RTV is great if you don’t plan on doing the job again, removing that stuff is no fun and can be time consuming. Plus you only have one shot at lining up the pan, if you mess up, you gotta clean all of that mess up and re-apply again.

Neither solution is without faults.

The re-usable part, something went wrong. Maybe it was stuck a bit during removal and small bits of rubber may come off? Maybe it wasn’t super clean? Or maybe it just shrunk for some reason, like brake cleaner exposure. Stuff happens.

Last edited:
Back