So, Mobil 1 isn't Group 4 anymore? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one knows for absolute sure. But it looks more like a blend of 3 and 4 from one of their patent applications. It has a thing about blending 3 and 4 to make OW-XX motor oils. Which would explain the conflicting G.C. tests. If they have it down that far (where many least suspected it to be) then you can only assume it is "probably" in the rest too.

The EP was the most suspected one.

You must decide that. I would highly recommend comparing UOA results (incidental and not absolutely scientific but the best we got) of your oil versus the other popular and not so popular oil and see if you feel you have made the best choice.

Make your own choice just get an Amsoil EaO filter if available for your ride.(I don't sell them so no axe to grind, it is just my opinion from what I have gathered here they are the best).

I am tired of this M1 & Grp 3 topic... and I am a newbie here
grin.gif

Who gives a #@$%! if the UOA's are good for your car? It's the most pointless topic of debate. If someone made tires for passenger cars that were made of gumdrops and lasted twice as long as current technology with 4 times the grip, would you care that it was made of gumdrops? PP and Syntec give good results on the Group III level. With Mobil 1 EP, you are simply paying more for the warranty. That's all.

People first bagged on Castrol for being group III and now the same thing is going on with Mobil. Heck, even PP turned from EOP to Group III. It does a good job. Supertech Syn does fairly well. Who cares what an oil is made of if it does a good job?

Quote:

Who gives a #@$%! if the UOA's are good for your car? It's the most pointless topic of debate. If someone made tires for passenger cars that were made of gumdrops and lasted twice as long as current technology with 4 times the grip, would you care that it was made of gumdrops? PP and Syntec give good results on the Group III level. With Mobil 1 EP, you are simply paying more for the warranty. That's all.

People first bagged on Castrol for being group III and now the same thing is going on with Mobil. Heck, even PP turned from EOP to Group III. It does a good job. Supertech Syn does fairly well. Who cares what an oil is made of if it does a good job?

I can buy retreaded tires, and there are times that they make sense and provide good performance and value.

But value is my main reason to buy a retreaded tire.

If Michelin or Bridgestone started selling retreads as new...at full price and made little effort if any to disclose the tires are retreads ...then I would have a problem.

PAO and Ester as well as good additives are some of the main reasons I am willing to buy mid priced synthetic oil.

When the oils start to become hard to distinguish from less expensive oils and I don't like how the oil company handled the switcheroo in base stocks....then I lose my reasons for buying from that company.

What if select viscosity's of grp 3 , pao, esters blended together in a propietery fashion found to outperform straight pao? Would we still think we were being cheated somehow?

Quote:

What if select viscosity's of grp 3 , pao, esters blended together in a propietery fashion found to outperform straight pao? Would we still think we were being cheated somehow?

If the blend outperforms PAO, then the blend is interesting.

Now the questions move to cost and truthfulness in marketing.

Is this hypothetical blend less expensive to make, and did the consumer enjoy a cost saving?

Can I buy similar blends from other companies for much less?

Has the company disclosed the oil is no longer PAO, Ester, and maybe AN?

Or is the Group III and 'whatever' blend still coasting on the PAO, Ester, AN reputation but at a 40%+ price increase?

Last edited:
I'm just tired of the discussion. If $3 a quart Supertech syn does just as well as Mobil 1 in your engine, use it. If Mobil out performs other oils and the price is justifiable, use it. I personally don't care for Mobil oneway or another, but the countless threads on this worthless topic drive me nuts. We don't even know for sure. It's ALL speculation.

I've read enough on this board to form my own opinions on what lubrication to use in my vehicles. My 07' A6 gets M1 0w40 or Amsoil AFL 5w40. My beater Subaru gets HM oils until I get the leaks completely fixed.

It's amazing what spending a little time in the UOA section will do for ya.

Quote:

I'm just tired of the discussion. If $3 a quart Supertech syn does just as well as Mobil 1 in your engine, use it. If Mobil out performs other oils and the price is justifiable, use it. I personally don't care for Mobil oneway or another, but the countless threads on this worthless topic drive me nuts. We don't even know for sure. It's ALL speculation.

I've read enough on this board to form my own opinions on what lubrication to use in my vehicles. My 07' A6 gets M1 0w40 or Amsoil AFL 5w40. My beater Subaru gets HM oils until I get the leaks completely fixed.

It's amazing what spending a little time in the UOA section will do for ya.

So you've been a member for a grand total of what, 8 days, and you're tired of it? Somehow that qualifies you to lecture other members about how to choose the right oil for their particular needs?

I do not blame him for being tired of it! It would be quite another matter if we had any new hard evidence or conclusive testing. We do not even have the results of the G/C and the G/C was on a foully formulated motor oil. Look how long andhow much money it took to find out what was in German Castrol! We have no where near that level of testing and every one is makeing rash unproveable acusations! I do not think anyone will agrue that the formula has changed and that it is might not be a good. I just do not think we need to keep rehashing this though in a new thread every other day!

It is getting to the point that M1/GIII threads are almost as pointless as "Synlube" threads! Flash point and VI changes do not make for very strong evidence of mass GIII invashion.

I lurked on this board before you joined. Since 02' to be exact. Before the board started taking donations ect...

I purchased a 1997 Porsche 993 Turbo and didn't trust my mechanic's oil recommendation (Syntec 5w30). I ended up going with Mobil 1 15w50 with great results after reading up on here.

I'm a Civil Engineer and I've had quite a bit of scientific study as part of my core curriculum.

You're a cop, what qualifies you?

I'm NOT qualified to tell other people what to choose for their cars, which is why I don't do it.This place would be better off if more self taught short time members wouldn't either.

Quote:

I'm NOT qualified to tell other people what to choose for their cars, which is why I don't do it.This place would be better off if more self taught short time members wouldn't either.

I never made a recommendation. I stated I hate reading a new thread exactly like this one EVERYDAY and that people should go to the UOA section to do some research instead of producing thread after thread of gossip about pure speculation.

There is a search button, and it does work a whole lot better than it has in the past.

Quote:

So you've been a member for a grand total of what, 8 days, and you're tired of it? Somehow that qualifies you to lecture other members about how to choose the right oil for their particular needs?

farrarfan1-

1. You are making a major assumption when you assume that member join date = how long people have been reading BITOG. I think the recent posts by long-time members have illustrated that being a longtime member of BITOG does not necessarily make you an objective, scientific, or valuable contributer to the forums.

2. Please show me where spOILEDrotten is "lecturing other members on how to choose the right oil for their particular needs". Go ahead and quote that part of his post for me, will ya? I don't see it.

3. I think JohnBrowning says it best: " It would be quite another matter if we had any new hard evidence or conclusive testing. We do not even have the results of the G/C and the G/C was on a foully formulated motor oil. Look how long andhow much money it took to find out what was in German Castrol! We have no where near that level of testing and every one is makeing rash unproveable acusations!"
All M1-bashers- please respond to this.

Quote:

I'm just tired of the discussion. If $3 a quart Supertech syn does just as well as Mobil 1 in your engine, use it. If Mobil out performs other oils and the price is justifiable, use it.

Quote:

Quote:

I'm just tired of the discussion. If $3 a quart Supertech syn does just as well as Mobil 1 in your engine, use it. If Mobil out performs other oils and the price is justifiable, use it.

farrarfan1- wow. I hope your above post is incomplete and you're gonna go back and edit it to add some substance to it. If that's your example of spOILEDrotten "lecturing other people", then you're quite the sensitive fellow. I think anyone on this forum would agree that, if Oil A performs as well as Oil B and costs less, then it makes practical sense to use Oil A. How is that lecturing? It is merely stating hypothetical situations.

And how about actually *responding* to my other 2 points, sir?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back