So anyone useing honda DW-1 in a older honda yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be putting it in to my 07 RDX this weekend. Picked up the case of 12 yesterday.

Just by shaking it, it sounds very thin compared to Amsoil UATF and possibly Z1 (I have a couple bottles of this kicking around I will do a shake test and see)

I'm waiting for more/better information before I try DW-1 in my own Accord. From what I've read, I THINK it will be fully backward-compatible... but I've yet to find any definite, verifiable information directly from Honda. Maybe Honda is being stingy with info until they get rid of their stock of Z1.

For now, I'll take a wait-and-see attitude... and just keep doing relatively frequent flushes with Z1.

Called my Honda dealer and they stated that the new ATF is for 2011 models and is backwardly compatabile with the Z1. They are first using up the stock of Z1 on older cars,then both older and newer cars will use the new ATF. This switchover may take 6 months to a year.

I wish Honda would release an official statement or a TSB to its dealers stating that it was totally backward compatible with the Z-1 and that it was going to totally replace the Z-1. Then I would try it in my 06 Element.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
I wish Honda would release an official statement or a TSB to its dealers stating that it was totally backward compatible with the Z-1 and that it was going to totally replace the Z-1. Then I would try it in my 06 Element.

Me too, but if your going to try when they finally say its ok I'll let you try it first! I'm just a nice guy like that!

I'm erring on the side of caution, considering my experience with Dex VI in older GM units. And that was factory-approved.

I wonder if even Honda does officially backspec DW-1 (and it appears they are) will we see reports claiming it doesn't work like we have with Dex VI?

Of course Honda automatics are different from other automatic, but the difference would seem to point toward the need for a higher viscosity ATF kind of like with Dex III and manuals. We know DW-1 is thinner at low temperatures, but is it any thinner at operating temperature? And does it really matter because it may still shear.

I think the Honda dealer said the bottle of the new ATF said it was backwardly compatible. I'll go to parts and check the new bottle next time I'm at the dealer,but that's not till 3/30/11.

Honda auto trannies seem to use forced and splash lubrication and a unconventional valve body setup. Hence why Honda is OKing the new stuff in their trannies - Toyota states the use of ATF-WS in one calling for T-IV or Dex III is verboten, due to shift flare concerns...

Last edited:
In other words, any good syn ATF(Maxlife, Amsoil, etc)would work better then Z1... Honda finally figured out what some of us already knew, that Z1 ATF sucks. Z1 needs to be drained every 15K miles or sooner then later, your tranny is going to take a [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back