Snowblower warriors

Been having a lot of issues with my 2 stage Toro snowblower this year. The discharge chute seems to plug much more often than I remember. I tried Liquid Wrench garage door lubricant (silicone), but that seemed to make it worse. Today I used Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil, and viola. That worked great! It was like having a larger engine. It is a 8 C.I.D. engine.There is no H.P. rating on it. I hope this helps some other warriors.

Been having a lot of issues with my 2 stage Toro snowblower this year. The discharge chute seems to plug much more often than I remember. I tried Liquid Wrench garage door lubricant (silicone), but that seemed to make it worse. Today I used Liquid Wrench Penetrating Oil, and viola. That worked great! It was like having a larger engine. It is a 8 C.I.D. engine.There is no H.P. rating on it. I hope this helps some other warriors.
My Toro is the biggest piece of junk ODPE I have ever bought. I was drawn in by the fancy Chute joystick.
First season I had more clogs with the "anti-clog" system than I ever had with My cheap Yardmachines MTD in 25 years.

Next season, I did wipe on ArmorAll very liberally all over the plastic bits of the ACS and chute. That seemed to hep a lot.

Also adjusting the valves after 20 hours allowed the engine run much smoother and more powerfully.
They were WAY out of spec ( read: tight ) on the Lonchin China engine.
The drive and auger control lever are too short and hard to hold engaged when running. Poorly designed.
The unit is very heavy but overly weight biased onto the rear wheels so it want to ride over the snow, even wit the skids set so teh scraper gap is minimal. But I paid $1370 for it I will deal with it. Note: it has a non-reusable 'cardboard' rocker cover gasket. Cheap,

ps: I forgot the drive speed 'gear' selector seized. Taking the bottom cover off, I found the factory never lubed the hexagonal cross shaft it rides on. Rusted solid. I fixed it myself since my servicing dealer are a bunch of schmoes.

At least it starts easy - with one light pull - and appears to be fuel efficient compared to the 8hp Tecumseh Snow-king

-Ken

Just curious, was the snow wet and heavy? I have an old MTD Yardman that never plugged on powder but would be a real PITA if the snow was wet and heavy. When I did the YouTube hack I never again had issues, and the thing would even blow slush and water...

There are a whole host of videos on YouTube. Here is one example...

just my $0.02

If your chute is clogging here is the generalized check list.

1. make sure your belt is not slipping. Remove the belt cover and inspect. It may need replacing or just a simple adjustment to the tensioner or cable.
2. using a tach make sure your engine is running at top speed. Ususally about 3600rpm on a flat head and a little faster on OHV.
3. Remove rust on the chute. paint and wax. Obviously in the warmer weather.
4. If the gap between the impeller blade and housing is more that 1/4" you may want to install an impeller kit. Google and buy on ebay.
5. Use Fluid film or similar on the chute.

Good luck

Back