Snow Tires Without Studs Are Worthless.

Loveland Pass. You can come try after snow storm, and you might go up. Problem is going down as you need something that brakes well in those conditions, as 2,000ft cliffs do not look inviting.
IDK how Mazda would perform. Rarely seen there.
Well, I know my LX25's will restrain my CX5 going down a 27% grade in snow, but that is literally right on the limit with them 3/4 worn out. I might could do 30% grade with them during the first 1/4 of their life. Is Loveland steeper than that? If it's over 20% grade, I would not try it. Under 20% grade? I'd drive that any day unless it was ice, or the snow was so deep I was plowing it with the FMIC.

Well, I know my LX25's will restrain my CX5 going down a 27% grade in snow, but that is literally right on the limit with them 3/4 worn out. I might could do 30% grade with them during the first 1/4 of their life. Is Loveland steeper than that? If it's over 20% grade, I would not try it. Under 20% grade? I'd drive that any day unless it was ice, or the snow was so deep I was plowing it with the FMIC.
Just so you know, driveway is not a road. Just to clarify that.

Okay, then why does one mention "48" of snow" like it matters? Functionally, it's going to be what, 1-4"?
Bcs. when you clean 48 inches of snow here, that means probably foot or more leftover over the ice that forms in the beginning of storm. No it does not work as many people who abandoned their SUV's, suburbitanks during those storms can attest. Last time I had to pick up probably 20 people bcs. they decided to walk during snow storm with winds going between 70-80mph (3 miles from me they clocked 119mph). My friend actually managed to pick up 34 people in 4hrs with his Touareg, on snow tires of course.
It is "bit" trickier than that infamous driveway in PA.

Just so you know, driveway is not a road. Just to clarify that.
The roads here are about 15-20% grade, in numerous places, presuming you qualify a road as "asphalt or concrete base". My driveway is gravel. When the snow is so deep that it doesn't compress to the surface though, and you are just driving over compacted snow, I do not see why gravel/asphalt/concrete "matter", but maybe you can explain that to me (sincere, not being sarcastic)?

Bcs. when you clean 48 inches of snow here, that means probably foot or more leftover over the ice that forms in the beginning of storm. No it does not work as many people who abandoned their SUV's, suburbitanks during those storms can attest. Last time I had to pick up probably 20 people bcs. they decided to walk during snow storm with winds going between 70-80mph (3 miles from me they clocked 119mph). My friend actually managed to pick up 34 people in 4hrs with his Touareg, on snow tires of course.
It is "bit" trickier than that infamous driveway in PA.
Last time things got nasty I passed roughly 20 wrecks on the way to work. No probs. Also yes, that ice....I slide a bit on it, but it's super predictable and the car turns just fine, you just cant act a total fool (or rather, I did, but I did it without others around). Here is an example I think, although this is near the road surface obviously, and not a foot off of it, it is that icy/compacted layer you speak of. I had no problem driving up and down 15%-20% grade, tight corners, etc. in this environment on my way home doing near the speed limit of 55mph on this road. Easy peasy. The only time it slid is when I literally crammed on the brakes as per the video.

The roads here are about 15-20% grade, in numerous places, presuming you qualify a road as "asphalt or concrete base". My driveway is gravel. When the snow is so deep that it doesn't compress to the surface though, and you are just driving over compacted snow, I do not see why gravel/asphalt/concrete "matter", but maybe you can explain that to me (sincere, not being sarcastic)?
Thank God rest of the country does not have a drive way or such steep terrain. On that note, maybe people from Rocky Mountains might have to move there to find steeper terrain. What do we know about steep roads, right?

Last time things got nasty I passed roughly 20 wrecks on the way to work. No probs. Also yes, that ice....I slide a bit on it, but it's super predictable and the car turns just fine, you just cant act a total fool (or rather, I did, but I did it without others around). Here is an example I think, although this is near the road surface obviously, and not a foot off of it, it is that icy/compacted layer you speak of. I had no problem driving up and down 15%-20% grade, tight corners, etc. in this environment on my way home doing near the speed limit of 55mph on this road. Easy peasy. The only time it slid is when I literally crammed on the brakes as per the video.

OK, you have best A/S tires, and no one has anything capable like you have. Actually, people who measured grade of steepest ski slope in North America here at A-Basin, might take a look at that area of PA. I mean, that is hidden gem.

OK, you have best A/S tires, and no one has anything capable like you have. Actually, people who measured grade of steepest ski slope in North America here at A-Basin, might take a look at that area of PA. I mean, that is hidden gem.
Where in PA are you referencing?

Also, ya, I do think the LX25's are about the best A/S tires out there. They crush the CrossContact SUV tires in tests. Dunno if anyone makes anything better, but if they do, I'll buy it.

Where in PA are you referencing?

Also, ya, I do think the LX25's are about the best A/S tires out there. They crush the CrossContact SUV tires in tests. Dunno if anyone makes anything better, but if they do, I'll buy it.
OK South Central US. I mean, no one seen anything like that.
No, you have best tires, you have better tires than any winter tire. And that drive way? I mean, no one has that.

OK South Central US. I mean, no one seen anything like that.
No, you have best tires, you have better tires than any winter tire. And that drive way? I mean, no one has that.
PERSEC is something that I maintain.

That said, resorting to ad hominem? That's a bit of a concession, really.

As always, for you every discussion is: my thing is better than yours. Grow up.
Did you forget that you are on a vehicle forum?

And yes, my thing > your thing.

I did not invite you to this thread. You invited yourself. You chose to engage, and now you're complaining about that reality.

I did not know forum is place where people come to argue with others how their manhood is bigger than other guys manhood?
Tells a lot about those that use forum for those purposes.
Noone said anything about anyone's "manhood", unless that was you, initially, when you said "thing"?

People like you are why PERSEC matters, lol!

Noone said anything about anyone's "manhood", unless that was you, initially, when you said "thing"?

People like you are why PERSEC matters, lol!
Ah, so you use tires to be more secured. I get it now.
Well, feel good. Like I said, you have best tires, steepest driveway. On that note, pice of business advice: open driving school there for drivers that have to negotiate infamous roads and passes. I mean, you really have unique opportunity there.

Short of off road motor biking, where we do sometimes get 40% grades, but not a lot of them. The steepest road I was ever on was a forestry logging road, in a Ram 3500 4x4, it had a hill saying 19%, and it was a nasty hill to get up in 4" of snow. I live in BC Canada, known for its many mountain passes, and steep terrain. Yet the steepest road I can think of that is paved, is not nearly as steep as the 19% bush road hill. We commonly have signs saying the hill is 6%, 8%, 10%, 12% but very few steeper than 12% even here. Those highways where hills are more than 10% are MANDATORY carry tire chains areas, from October till May. In my personal car I carry chains, the work car I am driving the past several days on this business trip, is AWD, and on good winter tires, yet in the trunk are 2 sets of tire chains, a shovel, a bag of salt and another of sand, survival kit, blankets, and more, should we become stuck, or worse stranded. Day 3 with a lot of driving, many mountain passes, and still have not seen a hill exceed 12% grade on this entire trip. Even then, the steepest part was at 12% but that was only about 4,000' long, because before, and after that extra steep section, the rest of the hill I would guess at less than 10%. So even for this BC girl, it is hard to imagine all of these 15% or 20% roads everywhere.

Short of off road motor biking, where we do sometimes get 40% grades, but not a lot of them. The steepest road I was ever on was a forestry logging road, in a Ram 3500 4x4, it had a hill saying 19%, and it was a nasty hill to get up in 4" of snow. I live in BC Canada, known for its many mountain passes, and steep terrain. Yet the steepest road I can think of that is paved, is not nearly as steep as the 19% bush road hill. We commonly have signs saying the hill is 6%, 8%, 10%, 12% but very few steeper than 12% even here. Those highways where hills are more than 10% are MANDATORY carry tire chains areas, from October till May. In my personal car I carry chains, the work car I am driving the past several days on this business trip, is AWD, and on good winter tires, yet in the trunk are 2 sets of tire chains, a shovel, a bag of salt and another of sand, survival kit, blankets, and more, should we become stuck, or worse stranded. Day 3 with a lot of driving, many mountain passes, and still have not seen a hill exceed 12% grade on this entire trip. Even then, the steepest part was at 12% but that was only about 4,000' long, because before, and after that extra steep section, the rest of the hill I would guess at less than 10%. So even for this BC girl, it is hard to imagine all of these 15% or 20% roads everywhere.
Colorado steepest road has average grade of 14.2% and steepest parts of 18%.
There is difference between road and driveway.

So in short, you're saying my 27% grade (at the steepest, it vacillates around a 17 degree incline)gravel driveway section (300ft of linear travel) being easy to get up with worn tires at 3-4" of snow, but stumping me with 6-8" of snow, isn't shabby?

Now you've got me curious on the grades of the roads indrive. I have only properly measured my driveway.

Back