Snow Tires Without Studs Are Worthless.

Entirely depends on where you live and what you need. If you’re for example driving up and down the side of a mountain every day AND you get snow/ice, I’d go studded if allowed. If you live in a relatively flat area and don’t really get of ice, I’d run studless if I wanted winter tires.
I would normally agree, but this is on a RWD coupe where I need every bit of traction I can get. Although I suppose with limited ground clearance, deep snow is more of an enemy than ice (which I can use extra weight in the back to counter).

Subie + nearly full boost in snow = woohoo. Just my anecdote.

Another: My Subie with OE tires got stuck next to my Civic with snow tires. The Civic was able to plow through the same level of snow without any issues.

same. 2012 Altima with snows vs 2020 legacy with original all seasons vs 2013 F150 4x4.
Altima hands down.
Luckily work bought the Suby some pirelli zeros.

Worse came to worse. I accepted a new job position today, and as I was leaving work, I noticed a flat tire (The universe balances, I view this as a good omen, actually).

I needed tires, as they were down to 3-4/32 (Maybe I can't be mad that they didn't climb my 27% grade drive in 8" of snow after all?), and the flat could not be patched (sidewall damage).

My dealer sold me (4) LX25's 225/55/19, for $205/ea + Tax, but included a loaner car for a few days while they came in, as well as lifetime free rotations, and 2 years (For me, 70K miles...) of hazard warranty. Tire rack wanted $198/tire, free shipping, no tax.

Anyway, not a bad deal, so I went with it.

I chose against the CrossClimate 2's because the LX25 was better in ice and snow in objective and subjective testing than the CrossClimate SUV, and the CC2 allegedly has more road noise, and is a heavier tire, and is rated for less treadlife. Also, my dealer could not get them, so the LX25 was a pretty good no-brainer. I got 45K miles out of this set, and the "W" in "DWS" was just fading on them. Overall, I was pleased. My Toyo A36's lasted 17K miles to similar point, and my Nokian WRG3's lasted about 20K miles to similar point (on my 2015 CX5). While I expect the CC2 is better than the CC SUV, I feel pretty confident that it's not better than the LX25 by enough margin to justify the weight and treadnoise and tread life loss.

Worse came to worse. I accepted a new job position today, and as I was leaving work, I noticed a flat tire (The universe balances, I view this as a good omen, actually).

I needed tires, as they were down to 3-4/32 (Maybe I can't be mad that they didn't climb my 27% grade drive in 8" of snow after all?), and the flat could not be patched (sidewall damage).

My dealer sold me (4) LX25's 225/55/19, for $205/ea + Tax, but included a loaner car for a few days while they came in, as well as lifetime free rotations, and 2 years (For me, 70K miles...) of hazard warranty. Tire rack wanted $198/tire, free shipping, no tax.

Anyway, not a bad deal, so I went with it.

I chose against the CrossClimate 2's because the LX25 was better in ice and snow in objective and subjective testing than the CrossClimate SUV, and the CC2 allegedly has more road noise, and is a heavier tire, and is rated for less treadlife. Also, my dealer could not get them, so the LX25 was a pretty good no-brainer. I got 45K miles out of this set, and the "W" in "DWS" was just fading on them. Overall, I was pleased. My Toyo A36's lasted 17K miles to similar point, and my Nokian WRG3's lasted about 20K miles to similar point (on my 2015 CX5). While I expect the CC2 is better than the CC SUV, I feel pretty confident that it's not better than the LX25 by enough margin to justify the weight and treadnoise and tread life loss.

It will be better after some 20k. That is where Michelin has absolute advantage over other manufacturers.
I had numerous Continental's, I have their Viking7 now on BMW, and while they are exceptional tires, Michelin as they age, keep initial performance longest.

It will be better after some 20k. That is where Michelin has absolute advantage over other manufacturers.
I had numerous Continental's, I have their Viking7 now on BMW, and while they are exceptional tires, Michelin as they age, keep initial performance longest.

I have not noticed any degradation in rain, etc. over 40k miles. I am just presuming the deep snow performance dropped. All of my LX continentals have performed well for their life span.

This test seems to indicate that they likely did degrade, but Michelin isn't special.

I have not noticed any degradation in rain, etc. over 40k miles. I am just presuming the deep snow performance dropped. All of my LX continentals have performed well for their life span.

This test seems to indicate that they likely did degrade, but Michelin isn't special.

I should be more specific: as they age. That is bigger culprit. So, 20k usually happens after 2-3 years.
That is the problem with this used tire testing, as companies do not run tires for 4-6 years and then get results.

Reactions: Ws6
I should be more specific: as they age. That is bigger culprit. So, 20k usually happens after 2-3 years.
That is the problem with this used tire testing, as companies do not run tires for 4-6 years and then get results.
I get new tires every 18 months. Old tires suck.

So maybe topic should be changed to: "studless tires below snow wear bars suck in snow" ;-)
That may be advantage for studded, unless they are toothless after similar mileage ;-)

Krzyś

Snow tires, with at least 1/4" tread left, work just fine for me in most types of snow and they do much better than A/S tires. On ice, snow tires don't work but I don't hold that against them. On packed snow, studded tires work great. The best all-around choice for winter driving is studded snow tires because they cover everything from ice to fluffy snow.

Snow tires, with at least 1/4" tread left, work just fine for me in most types of snow and they do much better than A/S tires. On ice, snow tires don't work but I don't hold that against them. On packed snow, studded tires work great. The best all-around choice for winter driving is studded snow tires because they cover everything from ice to fluffy snow.
What about dry, wet and ears?

Krzyś

What about dry, wet and ears?

Krzyś
Snow tires wear quickly on dry roads. In the cold they are preferable to summer tires on dry and wet, probably better than most A/S. Studded tires on dry are noisy. I go skiing in the Tahoe are during winter time. I go there on snow tires but I also carry chains. I'd use studded tires only if I were to mostly drive on icy roads.

These two tests show just how close to a true winter tire the LX25 is. It handily bests the CrossClimate SUV tire in this comparo, driven by data:
and the CC SUV comes pretty darn close to the true winter tire in this test:

While I am frustrated these two are not a true heads-up test, if you argue "different day, different result", then you are also effectively arguing "They are so close it doesn't matter in the real world", unless you plan on hopping in a time machine and only driving at the location these were tested, which kindof makes my point for me: A GOOD all-season is absolutely just fine until you get into studded/chains.

The benefits for a solid all-season over dedicated winter tire?

Quieter.
Much longer tread life.
Better mpg
Cheaper (especially than buying 2 sets of tires and swapping).
Safer in the rain.
Better performance on dry pavement typically.

The detriments?

Not quite as good in snow and on ice, but the difference requires a lab, at this point, to really argue over.

Snow tires wear quickly on dry roads. In the cold they are preferable to summer tires on dry and wet, probably better than most A/S. Studded tires on dry are noisy. I go skiing in the Tahoe are during winter time. I go there on snow tires but I also carry chains. I'd use studded tires only if I were to mostly drive on icy roads.
I did not notice Michelin Xice Xi3 to wear fast on dry pavement, or Viking Contact 7.

Krzyś

Quieter.
Much longer tread life.
Better mpg
Safer in the rain.

The detriments?

Not quite as good in snow and on ice, but the difference requires a lab, at this point, to really argue over.

Not quite as good? I put dedicated snows on my wife's and daughter's cah's every November. The tread configuration, added siping and softer compound is vastly superior to an A/S in a snow storm. Don't need a lab to tell the difference, just a drive around the block.

Not quite as good? I put dedicated snows on my wife's and daughter's cah's every November. The tread configuration, added siping and softer compound is vastly superior to an A/S in a snow storm. Don't need a lab to tell the difference, just a drive around the block.
Driving around the block won't tell you anything though. They will both be glued to the road. Need to slam on the brakes/go WOT and all that jazz to break them loose and measure skid distance, etc.

Last edited:
Actually the original Blizzak WS50 was the best I started with back in 1996. Those were VERY soft, and had amazing traction. I have had every model WS tire they made, and they have gone downhill ever since on traction ever since everyone wanted longer lasting snow tires. It doesn't help all the tire sizes are getting wider, which is the wrong direction too.

Last edited:
These two tests show just how close to a true winter tire the LX25 is. It handily bests the CrossClimate SUV tire in this comparo, driven by data:
and the CC SUV comes pretty darn close to the true winter tire in this test:

While I am frustrated these two are not a true heads-up test, if you argue "different day, different result", then you are also effectively arguing "They are so close it doesn't matter in the real world", unless you plan on hopping in a time machine and only driving at the location these were tested, which kindof makes my point for me: A GOOD all-season is absolutely just fine until you get into studded/chains.

Quieter.
Much longer tread life.
Better mpg
Safer in the rain.

The detriments?

I agree,
I like in a snow belt region either an average snowfall of 120” of snow...a good quality all season tire has been fine. I run all weather tires on my FWD car, and those last much longer than dedicated snow tires.
Sure a dedicated snow tire is “better” nut I am not going down unplowed seasonal roads or across fields, etc.

Driving around the block won't tell you anything though. They will both be glued to the road. Need to slam on the brakes/go WOT and all that jazz to break them loose and measure skid distance, etc.
Of course it would. Dedicated snow tires are far superior to A/S in a snow storm and neither are glued to the road, because they're not touching the road.

Back