Snow Question

I wouldn't want to subject the new truck to road salt.

My 2019 Ram 1500 classic crew cab 4x4 actually does pretty well in winter conditions in 2wd w/ the spongy 17" tires. Trying to get up a hill once you're stopped? Nope.

The pickup has a limited slip. 200lbs of sandbags, a set of chains, and a shovel will be fine. My 86 Dodge was awesome in blizzards when I was growing up. All it has was a LSD rear. When I had my FX4 F-150, I generally kept it in 2wd and used the locker to get me going. I’d have no problem with the Dodge.

Accord or pickup with weight in the back. How comfortable are you in snow? In a RWD vehicle on snow when you start to lose it you will feel the ass end start to get loose and come around. On a FWD car when you start to lose it it gets tight and the front end pushes. I personally much prefer a loose rear end to a tight front end (oversteer vs understeer in non-nascar terms). I find that a vehicle oversteering is easier for me to catch. If you arent comfortable in snow, the accord is going to be more predictable than the truck, though I personally hate front wheel drive in snow and havent driven a front wheel drive car in snow in 10 years.

I drove a toyota hybrid in snow today and found it unnerving. There is no connection between you and the wheels other than the steering wheel since torque delivery is all computer controlled and braking is computer controlled. I felt like if I started to lose control I had few tools at my disposal to catch it and the thing was a bit squirrelly.

Interesting responses, thank you. I have zero experience with driving in the snow, so that is definitely a factor to consider. I do not plan to drive up to Tahoe when it is actively snowing - only after a storm once the roads are plowed. So, the consideration for snow exposure is more of a just-in-case.

Which brand of tire chains should I consider buying?

FCA specs a "S-type" chain for the truck. Was considering SCC's Super Z-6, #SZ451.

Honda says: "Link-type: SCC Quick Grip QG1134 Cable-types: SCC Radial Chain CH2311T or SCC SC Cable SC1030"

Toyota says:
1612226497931.png

Last edited:
Interesting responses, thank you. I have zero experience with driving in the snow, so that is definitely a factor to consider. I do not plan to drive up to Tahoe when it is actively snowing - only after a storm once the roads are plowed. So, the consideration for snow exposure is more of a just-in-case.

Which brand of tire chains should I consider buying?

FCA specs a "S-type" chain for the truck.

Honda says: "Link-type: SCC Quick Grip QG1134 Cable-types: SCC Radial Chain CH2311T or SCC SC Cable SC1030"

Toyota says:
View attachment 43828

If you have no snow driving experience, I'd take it slower than you think you might need to, and practice stopping on the slick surfaces before picking up any sort of speed (an empty parking lot, if you can find one, and fifteen minutes will go a long way toward feeling more comfortable). I'd "test" the roads in a safe area even if they appear to have been plowed, since that doesn't mean they won't be slick. Driving gingerly will help you retain control as well. Obviously, it's harder to stop on snowy/icy surfaces, so start initiating the stop far before you think that you will need to, ideally with little braking action (heavy braking can initiate the loss of control and might make you panic). Also, if you see a slick patch, slow down considerably before reaching it (again, ideally with little/no braking) and hit it with reduced speed; don't try to slow down once you get to it. Chains should help a good deal (we don't use them in the midwest) but a good dose of caution will go a long way for you!

Last edited:
I would like to take a trip up to Lake Tahoe. Which of my vehicles should I take?

2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab- 2WD, mechanical LSD, OE Goodyear Tires with 10/32" remaining.

2011 Prius - has brand-new Pirelli P7 All Season Plus II Tires.

2007 Honda Accord - has Continental PureContact LS Tires with 9/32" remaining.

I do not own chains for any of these vehicles so I will need to purchase. However, would any of these be a better candidate for the snow (than the others)?
Pickup with 150lbs of sand in the bed over the rear wheels

+3 on the accord.

IDK if your 3rd gen prius has better ABS/VSC/Trac than my 05 but it can't be any worse. And I bet it's weighted about the same. Somehow Toyota sucked all the FWD advantages out of my Prius. With snow tires it's about as good as a normal FWD on all seasons.

If I slip at all, it takes all power away from the wheels for a second or two, leaving it stalled in an intersection when I'm trying to get going. And if by some miracle I am moving, the ABS removes braking power from all wheels for a similar time if I hit one little slick spot.

Also the Accord being a mid-full size car will have its wheels fit the established wheel ruts through the snow better. And have more ground clearance. All good things.

A 2wd truck with LSD is a fantastic way to die. If one wheel spins, the other one stays planted and helps point the truck. But if they both spin because the LSD makes them, you go from perfectly fine to 90-degrees sideways, possibly into the oncoming lane. And all-season tires do NOT have the lateral grip in snow. Once they break free they go from static to sliding friction and are just hopeless. Actual winter tires will fight when going sideways and respond to driver inputs like you'd expect.

Last edited:
The chp will check to see if you have chains, if there is chain control . If the conditions are bad a hint is to wait untll you can get behind a snow plow/ sand truck. The best advise is to go slow.

Perfect timing.....We have 14" on the ground so far and it's still coming strong. This storm is a good one! Light, fluffy, powder! We often get heavy crud and some ice mixed in.

2WD PU is a no go.
Prius is horrendous in snow, especially if you have hilly terrain to deal with.
Accord is your best bet. Tires matter.
Agreed.

Be careful out there, OP, don't make it an Accordion.

I’ve seen a Prius on snow tires mob past a Subaru in Tahoe many times... just saying. FWD in general does better than RWD but it’s also the driver as well n

if you lose traction in the rear it’s recoverable. when you lose traction up front you’re done

an aggressive LSD makes it easy to step out when you go into a turn too hot, be gentle. a gentle LSD makes no real difference when one wheel loses traction

A 2wd truck with LSD is a fantastic way to die. If one wheel spins, the other one stays planted and helps point the truck. But if they both spin because the LSD makes them, you go from perfectly fine to 90-degrees sideways, possibly into the oncoming lane. And all-season tires do NOT have the lateral grip in snow. Once they break free they go from static to sliding friction and are just hopeless. Actual winter tires will fight when going sideways and respond to driver inputs like you'd expect.
I have never experienced the rear end violently stepping out as you described on my Ram... or my RWD 300 because RWD isn’t as dangerous as you’re making it out to be. Between traction control, stability control, and not flooring it on snow/ice, anyone will be fine. Just drove through 11” of snow yesterday in 2WD on the OEM Goodyear’s and it never kicked out once, even on the ice covered curves.

Last edited:
If I slip at all, it takes all power away from the wheels for a second or two, leaving it stalled in an intersection when I'm trying to get going. And if by some miracle I am moving, the ABS removes braking power from all wheels for a similar time if I hit one little slick spot.

The Evo's TC was like that for some unknown, probably really dumb, idea. Power would be cut and leave you stranded for a good second and the AWD wouldn't even matter at that point since you're essentially coasting in neutral. It became a natural movement to turn it off the moment I turned the car on.

I would like to take a trip up to Lake Tahoe. Which of my vehicles should I take?

2020 Ram 1500 Crew Cab- 2WD, mechanical LSD, OE Goodyear Tires with 10/32" remaining.

2011 Prius - has brand-new Pirelli P7 All Season Plus II Tires.

2007 Honda Accord - has Continental PureContact LS Tires with 9/32" remaining.

I do not own chains for any of these vehicles so I will need to purchase. However, would any of these be a better candidate for the snow (than the others)?
The FWD ones, since you have the engine and transmission putting weight on the front axle. The 2WD truck, with a empty bed, doesn't have much weight on the rear axle to help with getting power to the ground... you'll need to weigh down the bed with some sand bags.

As R2 conditions means you need to have chains installed. At R1, you need to carry chains. And sometimes chain control do check your car for chains and they can turn you around.

Back