Snow blower oil

My old Tecumseh gets synthetic 5W30. I think its 17 years old now. Oil always goes dark quick compared to a modern day small engine but oh well. I like smelling like Tecumseh exhaust............ I have a dedicated snowblower jacket lol

I use m1 0w40 fs in my 1979 8hp Tecumseh snowblower, my 2005 Briggs and Stratton ohv 9.5hp craftsman snowblower, 1981 Briggs and Stratton 11hp (lawn tractor), 2007 Kohler courage 23hp (lawn tractor), 6hp quantum Briggs and Stratton (push mower), 2005 Silverado 4.8, etc.

My old Tecumseh gets synthetic 5W30. I think its 17 years old now. Oil always goes dark quick compared to a modern day small engine but oh well. I like smelling like Tecumseh exhaust............ I have a dedicated snowblower jacket lol
My wife hates the smell of Tecumseh lol. (To be fair the ohv Briggs smells even worse)
She also wasn't as impressed by the flames out the rusted out muffler as I was.

Same here with change of clothing when back inside due to strong exhaust smell . Use 5w-30 ( conventional at 1st , synthetic few years later ) in it since its purchase back in '97(?) from Walmart . Oil was / is mostly PENNZOIL . SHELL synthetic a few times .

Last edited:
HI, was just wondering if I could get some feedback here...
Got a Craftsman 8hp Tecumseh thrower, just changed the head gasket & dumped the dirty oil.
Did a quick search & saw that there are some "specific" oils for throwers, made by Toro for example.
My question is, are they just a gimmic & name, to deter you from using regular 5w30 M1? I am highly doubting that there could be something in there that'll make a small air cooled engine run "better".
As this thrower is older, I figure I'll go with 5w30, I do have 0w20 on hand too.
Let me know, snow is about to fly!

Use anything from 0W-20 to 5W-30 or higher as long as it starts. I have an infrared gun and the highest temp I ever got from the oil after snowblowing was between 175 and 180 degrees. The temps I was recording was after using the snowblower for like 45 minutes or so.

I would be more concerned about checking the oil level before you use the snowblower.

Back