Snow Blower....haven't started it in 2 years.

To the others who wanted to help in spite of my not strictly using punctuation, here is the update.

I could not get it started. In fact, embarrassingly enough, it did not have any oil. You all reminded me to check the oil first. Talk about the cardinal sin on BITOG lol. I am glad that I was not able to crank it. Maybe this actually worked out.

The carb ended up being an issue. I replaced it with a cheap Chinesium one from Amazon and it fired right up. It was cheap enough at 30 bucks and had so many other parts and gaskets with it that it was a no-brainer.

I also didn't notice that the unit had a built-in shutoff valve. It was left in the on position. Interestingly enough, the shutoff valve itself had failed regardless of position allowing fuel into the carb anyways. I replaced that too.

Thanks for the support.

Last edited:
I think everyone (myself included) is wondering about the point of your post. You didn't ask any questions about what to do prior to starting to increase your chances of it running better, or share results about what you did to get it started.

What are you trying to tell the world, or ask the world, in this post?

I figured out the intent of the thread by the title. It’s a shame that others can‘t figure it out EVEN AFTER multiple posts and replies from the OP...

OP, my Ariens has been sitting for the better part of two years. I ran it dry then. I plan to add gas and go if this storm warrants its use.

I figured out the intent of the thread by the title. It’s a shame that others can‘t figure it out EVEN AFTER multiple posts and replies from the OP...

OP, my Ariens has been sitting for the better part of two years. I ran it dry then. I plan to add gas and go if this storm warrants its use.
Lol, thanks. I think that this storm is definitely going to warrant its use in your case. It has drifted away from me and I am expecting 1.3 inches now haha. I need to get into better habits but it's hard with so many vehicles (Subies like you) and so many small engines.

I’ve considered starting my blower every year, just to give it a work out, but I’m not convinced there’s any benefit. I’ve read tons of of opinions on each end of the argument.

I’ve considered starting my blower every year, just to give it a work out, but I’m not convinced there’s any benefit. I’ve read tons of of opinions on each end of the argument.
Keep little fuel in it.

Add fresh when it's time to use.

I would let in run awhile but... At old job, it was.. try to start it for a half hour, (it will eventually flutter to a start. Flood float bowl too) and run until snow is gone. Put away until next needed which could be next week or next year.

Snow is fun.

Honda, I think. I don't exactly remember but yeah.

I don't know man. I think a routine would be good for it. I can think of more fun things than rebuilding a carb or spending endless hours on Amazon/Fleabay trying to match the carb.

Actually, keeping pretty much just enough fuel in it to snow blow for a half hour or so at a time is how it was done, I think.

It only snows in winter, so.

Actually, keeping pretty much just enough fuel in it to snow blow for a half hour or so at a time is how it was done, I think.

It only snows in winter, so.
My brain was thinking leaf blower lol.

Hi,

My Snowblower hasn't been started in 2 years due to it hardly ever snowing around here. Seems like we are scheduled to get 9 inches on Wednesday (we all know how that goes though lol).

I have been storing it in my outdoor shed for 2 years. Before becoming a BITOG guy, I would have just started it and moved on (possibly still the right move).

However over the past few years I learned to rebuild carbs on my lawn equipment for the same reason. Not the hardest but I'd rather be doing other stuff with my time.

I have been planning on installing a fuel shutoff line on it but didn't get around to it. Anyways, it uses straight gasoline not 2 stroke if there is such a thing.

Thanks for your time and happy to be here.
I had a MTD (Yard Machines brand?) 26-inch snow blower with 8 HP Tecumseh Snow King engine purchased new in 1996. In 2016 I purchased an Ariens Deluxe 24-inch for no other reason that to gain two inches of clearance in the garage.

My neighbor was always borrowing the old machine; sometimes multiple neighbors would if they had neglected theirs. I stored the old machine in my garden shed for three years without fuel in it. A year ago I pulled it out of storage, gassed it up and fired it up without issues. Then I gifeted it to the neighbor so that he would stop borrowing it. I can happily say that the neighbor used it after the recent storm and didn't come over to borrow my Ariens.

In any event, that machine was in storage for three years and fired right up. Running it dry at the end ove every season was probably the key to that, That machine never saw fuel treatments or E0 fuel.

Glad its running good. I always store mine with a full treated tank. Never an issue. Over the short summer I will almost monthly check the oil and fire it up for a minute. Helps keep the mice at bay too.

Thanks guys. I am reborn. If not then I am getting better at replacing carbs....yuck! lol!

Back