Snap-On Hex Drive Sockets

This is a really, really weird question I realize, but I recently picked up a Snap-on V-21A valve adjusting tool. I bought it on Ebay, and it came with a 5/8" socket attached. I didn't think anything of it as all the ones I've seen have a standard(I think) 1/2" drive, albeit I think only a Snap-On socket will fit properly. Still, that's not a big deal-used Snap-On sockets are cheap.

It arrived, and has a strange hex drive socket. Looking around a bit, it seems that the change from hex drive to square drive on this particular tool was made in 1939.

That's good and well, except for my uses I need a 1/2" socket.

Given that these can be had reliably for $20-30 on Ebay, I'm wondering if I should stick this one on the shelf as as an interesting curio, or if it's worth tracking down a socket for it. Does anyone know if these hex drive sockets had any application other than this, or otherwise if there's any hope of finding one.

Originally Posted by Blkstanger
Scroll about half way down this page. It shows exactly what you need. Finding it is the hard part.
http://alloy-artifacts.org/snapon-bluepoint-tools-p4.html

Thanks a bunch!

That page gave V-160 as the p/n for the hex drive 1/2" socket. 5 minutes later, I had one on the way for $15 shipped thanks to the wonderful world of Ebay.

I was surprised-there were several listed, but that was the least expensive(not by a dramatic amount).

Back