6mm hex socket selection ?

Hello everyone I was replacing my transmission fluid the other day and using a new 6mm hex crescent socket and it fit a tad bit loose in the head of the bolt and ended up stripping it.

Was in the market to purchase a tighter fitting 6mm hex. Was looking at the sk and snap on ones to avoid another stripping incident. Does anyone have any experience using these and which on do you recommend?

The sk is around $20 while the snap on is $30 have read that they both fit snuggly.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations

I’m guessing by stripping you mean rounded it out? If so you are going to need a hex extractor then a new plug after it comes out. I don’t think any other one will fit after it’s rounded especially if it’s majorly rounded.

I’m guessing by stripping you mean rounded it out? If so you are going to need a hex extractor then a new plug after it comes out. I don’t think any other one will fit after it’s rounded especially if it’s majorly rounded.
Yes sir I striped a extractor with no luck and hammered in a triple square 8mm and was able to remove the plug. I'm just trying to avoid it from happening again in the future

Yes sir I striped a extractor with no luck and hammered in a triple square 8mm and was able to remove the plug. I'm just trying to avoid it from happening again in the future
Oh ok sorry didn’t realize it was out already. I use Capri torx and hex bits at work and they do very well I have not had one be a loose fit. I do have one Snap-on long 10mm bit I got from the pawn shop that fits very well when I need it however the bit has come loose from the inside of the socket. My Capri have not done that and I’ve used them way more.

Oh ok sorry didn’t realize it was out already. I use Capri torx and hex bits at work and they do very well I have not had one be a loose fit. I do have one Snap-on long 10mm bit I got from the pawn shop that fits very well when I need it however the bit has come loose from the inside of the socket. My Capri have not done that and I’ve used them way more.

As a matter of fact the triple square I used was a Capri and it looks to be very well made. I may just buy it to try it out they are only 6$

IME the hex or Allen bolts/plug sizes sometimes differ from the service manual description, and it is best to test-fit metric and SAE sizes before putting much torque on them. For example my Cad differential plugs supposedly use a 10mm hex, but this size barely even goes into the plug. A 3/8 fits much better and bottoms out, allowing easy removal. I had a similar experience on my old Toyota and several bikes.

True. Buying just 1 may not be too bad. Our snappy guy has completely priced me out. Can't afford it anymore last week he had a 1/2 drive set with about 30 pieces for $800
Im on a dont ask dont tell policy with my snapon dealer. I dont ask what they cost, he doesnt tell me, it just goes on the 50 dollar a week for life plan

Cheaper online. Still too much for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211106-154140.jpg
    Screenshot_20211106-154140.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 42
Hello everyone I was replacing my transmission fluid the other day and using a new 6mm hex crescent socket and it fit a tad bit loose in the head of the bolt and ended up stripping it.

Was in the market to purchase a tighter fitting 6mm hex. Was looking at the sk and snap on ones to avoid another stripping incident. Does anyone have any experience using these and which on do you recommend?

The sk is around $20 while the snap on is $30 have read that they both fit snuggly.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations
Upgrading your tools is fine, but no need to go crazy on the tool costs. We all have to accept that some number of fasteners will strip, stick, round off, break off, and be prepared to deal with it.

I have had good luck with SK and VIM hex bits in 3/8 and 1/4" socket drive, and Titan for 1/2 drive. Brands listed in descending cost. I figured the huge 1/2" drive bits (about 14mm and above) are less likely to strip, and a cheap Taiwan brand is good enough there.

I like Gedore and Hazet. Wera makes good ones also.

Gedore, Hazet, Stahlwille, Wera or Snap On, commonly you don't go wrong with them.
Stahlwille sockets and extensions with their 'quickrelease' locking feature (pressing a
button required to release them) are my current favourites.
I also own a couple of Proxxon tools which are less pricey. More popular in Europe and
company based in Luxembourg with manufacturing probably in Far-East. No issues so
far.
Price perhaps doesn't matter much for a single 8 mm socket, so I'd get what's suits the
needs best. As a hint, only use 12 point sockets where necessary. Prefer 6 point sockets
for higher-torque applications.

Back