SN 0w-20 with 900 ppm moly, VI 239 !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by OilUzer
How does this compare to Red Line and who makes it? Price wise maybe same as Red Line?
Price is likely similar to Redline, not sure though. Redline 0w20 might be better in serious racing applications to it's high POE content, while Eneos Racing Street 0w20 is all GroupIII+.
Originally Posted by OilUzer
Racing and 0Wx20 doesn't seem to go together . Neither does racing & street unless you live in big cities
crazy2.gif

For the street, its for people who drive hard and/or don't trust the average 0w20 low-moly oil out there. It's SN so it qualifies for street use.
As for thin 0w20 used in racing, it does happen, mostly for qualifying since lower visc means more horsepower. Valvoline makes a good guide to racing oils they sell in those weights (they aren't SN though):

https://www.valvoline.com/our-products/pro-v-racing/0w-20-oil

RacingVisc.JPG

Know why its called "Racing Street" oil? ..Because "street racing" is illegal, unless you're shooting "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" of course. Funnee.

I ordered some off Amazon, should arrive tomorrow, free shipping, no tax, nice. Too much FM moly to pass up, and a great winter oil.

This Eneos is the poster child for the way the Japanese formulate oils; ultra high VI and FM, ultra low viscosity, "adequate" base number.... the next milestone is >1000ppm molybdenum, who will do it first?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PeterPolyol
This Eneos is the poster child for the way the Japanese formulate oils; ultra high VI and FM, ultra low viscosity, "adequate" base number.... the next milestone is >1000ppm molybdenum, who will do it first?
That was done about 8 years ago, see M1 Racing 0w30 at 1,700 ppm moly, non-Japanese BTW.. ... Researchers who have looked at it show benefits (see the Vanderbilt's patents https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/40/10/b3/909ff1e5b91e8f/US20160326451A1.pdf ), agreeing with the Japanese oil makers who do it the most.

A lot of the benefts are from the lower temperature of activation, which polymer esters can do as well for FM/AW, when using big dose of moly. Racing (and Racing-Street) oils have it because they expect the race conditions could undergo extreme stress in non-hydrodynamic (boundary) areas inside the engine.
https://patents.google.com/patent/US20160326451A1/en

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Know why its called "Racing Street" oil? ..Because "street racing" is illegal, unless you're shooting "The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift" of course. Funnee.

I ordered some off Amazon, should arrive tomorrow, free shipping, no tax, nice. Too much FM moly to pass up, and a great winter oil.

If Nippon Oil co. is the same as Nippon Paint co. I think it is, It will be a top notch Japanese product! I have had the pleasure of using OEM supplied Nippon paint on many Japanese vehicles shipped from Japan for specific prototype vehicles. Its as good if not better than any other product that I have used.

Since you happened to bring up Tokyo Drift; I forget who really owned that vehicle, Mitsubishi probably. I had the Mitsu advertisement/marketing paint contract at that time. When that car returned to the US, I had to repair and touch it up all over, cracked fiberglass bumpers, dents, chips. Didn't know about the Movie at the time, 3 grand or so to make it right again. Anyway, most of the time with a highly modified vehicle the responsible party will disable the vehicle, that one was disabled thank god for go jacks!

The stories I could tell about vehicles that the responsible parties didn't disable, well...Robby Gordon's class 8 truck was fun for a few minutes till it ran out of fuel!

People have expressed concerns about using a thin base oil with high amounts of VII, the formulation approach here for sure. High-ish NOACK results, and concerns about piston deposits. In this C-Max hybrid application I have, during the winter, the thinnest 0w20 like this will work well. Lots of moly for start-stop, cold flow that can't be beat. .... Summertime fill will be something with a lot less VII, probably.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder

If Nippon Oil co. is the same as Nippon Paint co. I think it is, It will be a top notch Japanese product! I have had the pleasure of using OEM supplied Nippon paint on many Japanese vehicles shipped from Japan for specific prototype vehicles. Its as good if not better than any other product that I have used.
A bit off topic, but one can list the overall "reputation" of international automotive products for quality as:

Japanese
German
American
Korean
Swedish
French
British
Italian
Chinese
Russian

....one could argue with this ranking, but its a perception largely based on facts of reliability. My view of what Americans think of automobile quality anyway. Opnions vary.

Originally Posted by KneeGrinder
Since you happened to bring up Tokyo Drift; I forget who really owned that vehicle, Mitsubishi probably.......
I may have to watch that film, sounds fun. There was a Mitsu Evo in it. The movie came out in 2006 when the Evo was King for sure. The movie car:
[Linked Image]

That was done about 8 years ago, see M1 Racing 0w30 at 1,700 ppm moly, non-Japanese BTW.. ...

Not racing oils, rather oils developed for OEMs to meet new standards. Sure you're right, there's not much unbroken ground left when formulating specialty race and other custom blends. OEM standards are getting quite fancy though and +1000ppm Mo, I've never seen in an OEM lube.. maybe someone did it ?

Got the Eneo Racing Street 0w20 in the sump now for winter. Oversize Fram Ultra oil filter too.
Odd: Color was a light amber, not black-ish like I remember Mazda Genuine Motor OIl 0w20 (700 ppm moly) was 3 years ago when I saw that one. With 900 ppm in this Eneos, you'd think it would be a gray color practically. Its molyDTC they claim. Maybe I'll get a UOA done (or a VOA, heck yes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back