Smoked Meats...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Brisket, pork butt and ribs are all great. But there are few things that are as good as a smoked turkey breast or whole smoked turkey.

And whoever said low and slow isn't for turkey is wrong. If you want moist flavorful turkey do a turkey breast for 6 or 7 hours at 190 degrees. Melts in your mouth.

I didn't say it was wrong, I said it wasn't necessary. Low and slow is best for breaking down the collagen in cuts like brisket, chuck rolls and pork shoulder. Poultry does not have collagen so it doesn't benefit from it, and like I said poultry skin cooked at low temperature is rubbery. Most of my family doesn't eat the skin anyway so I usually just pull all the meat off and throw away the skin and bones, but if you are after "bite through" skin low and slow doesn't work. Prolonged exposure to low temps also causes the marrow to leach out which can turn the meat around the thigh/leg joint red even if it's thoroughly cooked. Most people find that very unappetizing.

I can point you to some great forums and advice if you'd like to improve your smoking skills and make poultry turn out like it should. Just let me know.

That won'tbe necessary. I'm curently a registered member of the Barbecuebible.com, TexasBBQRub.com, The VirtualWeberBullet.com and the BBQ-Brethren.com forums. That's in addition to roughly 30 years of experience and I regularly do small catering gigs for graduaion parties, birhday paries etc.I might suggest that you be a little more open minded and willing to listen to other ponts of view. Cooking a turkey at 190 is a bad idea from a food safety standard. It keeps the meat in the 40-140 danger zone longer than is necessary and does not make a superior product. That's why poultry is baked at much higher temperatures than 190.

You know, it's funny. I've lurked around some of these BBQ forums and they all say Cooper's in Llano is an amazing BBQ joint... I was surprised to read it. Now, it is very good and I'd eat there again, but I go there everytime I go out that way deer hunting and the meat's a little dry and the sauce is a little vinegar-y. Now, the sausages are fantastic, but that's another story. I think people have been out sitting in a deer stand or driving down the road all day and get struck by the sheer quantity of food and the atmosphere. Both of which that place has in spades. They know how to make a glass of iced tea, too.

Imu hands down with so much moisture in an under ground oven makes turkey melt. Learn the real stuff from an old pro...Four star general always would ask him to set up an imu for those special occasion. He was my man as quoted by the four star general.

Kailua fund raising

Everyone:

Here ya go. Here's a great way to find out how to get ribs smoked to the way you want them...

1. Get several different rib rubs that you want to try.

2. Cut a rack of ribs into thirds.

3. Use a different rib rub on each of the 3 pieces and jot down which is which.

4. Smoke them to whatever standard of time, temp & wood you want to start with (say 4 hours at 200 degrees with Hickory).

5. Taste each of the 3 you smoked and see which you like the best.

6. On the next rack of ribs, do the same thing with the one you like best and 2 other types of rubs.

Keep doing the above with different rubs, times, temps and woods.

You'll end up with 'em smoked the way you want them every time after that!
thumbsup2.gif

That's my secret - good luck!

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
Some BBQ places in the south have smoked bologna. They put the whole log of bologna in the smoker and it is a true miracle sandwich on toast with mayo and pickles.

I can understand why you don't like Oz food now.

mamala - Reading about the Imu was interesting. I'll have to check up on that. I had no idea what you were talking about at first. Looks like quite an undertaking.

tpitcher - I like the method of narrowing down the recipe. At the rate I go, it'll take years. There's alot of good pork rubs out there.

Dang straight - it took me years to narrow it down!

No, I won't give up the top 3; I mix them together. Yum.

I've got two small briskets (the small ones fit my smoker better) totaling 9.5lbs all rubbed up with paprika, chili powder, salt, ground dried rosemary, tellicherry black pepper, cumin, garlic powder and brown sugar. They're going to marinate in that for about 22-24 hours (should be enough time for the salt to draw moisture out of the meat, which will absorb the spices before being pulled back into the meat) before I put them in the smoker between midnight and 2AM on Sunday. I'm going to smoke them about 12-15 hours at 225 degrees, adding hickory chips every hour to two hours. My dad should love it :)

Pulled pork omelettes are great. My favorite breakfast is 3 or 4 eggs over easy, with plenty of salt and pepper, on a couple slices of brisket.Preferrably slices from the point end of the brisket.

Brisket, pork butt and ribs are all great. But there are few things that are as good as a smoked turkey breast or whole smoked turkey.

And whoever said low and slow isn't for turkey is wrong. If you want moist flavorful turkey do a turkey breast for 6 or 7 hours at 190 degrees. Melts in your mouth.

I didn't say it was wrong, I said it wasn't necessary. Low and slow is best for breaking down the collagen in cuts like brisket, chuck rolls and pork shoulder. Poultry does not have collagen so it doesn't benefit from it, and like I said poultry skin cooked at low temperature is rubbery. Most of my family doesn't eat the skin anyway so I usually just pull all the meat off and throw away the skin and bones, but if you are after "bite through" skin low and slow doesn't work. Prolonged exposure to low temps also causes the marrow to leach out which can turn the meat around the thigh/leg joint red even if it's thoroughly cooked. Most people find that very unappetizing.

I can point you to some great forums and advice if you'd like to improve your smoking skills and make poultry turn out like it should. Just let me know.

That won'tbe necessary. I'm curently a registered member of the Barbecuebible.com, TexasBBQRub.com, The VirtualWeberBullet.com and the BBQ-Brethren.com forums. That's in addition to roughly 30 years of experience and I regularly do small catering gigs for graduaion parties, birhday paries etc.

With all that experience you'd think you'd know how to get poultry properly prepared and cooked in a smoker.

Maybe it's just another advantage of the Bradley.

That won'tbe necessary. I'm curently a registered member of the Barbecuebible.com, TexasBBQRub.com, The VirtualWeberBullet.com and the BBQ-Brethren.com forums. That's in addition to roughly 30 years of experience and I regularly do small catering gigs for graduaion parties, birhday paries etc.

With all that experience you'd think you'd know how to get poultry properly prepared and cooked in a smoker.

Maybe it's just another advantage of the Bradley.

So, you can judge my aility to prepare and cook poultry because you know how to plug in and turn on an Easy Bake oven? And because you choose to disregard te USDA's guidelines on how to properly cook poultry by cooking it an unecessarily low temperature? OK.

Speck is fat, usually from the rump or hip of a pig. It is cured and often smoked. It is not used for eating, but like lard for frying, and for lardening lean roasts.

Speckschinken is about the same as bacon, meaning a bit meat with a lot of fat from the back or the hip of a pig, often cured and smoked, raw, or cooked.

A Kasseler or Kassler is a smoked, cured pork chop. It's similar to ham steak. Rib meat, neck, shoulder, and belly meat are commonly used. Each variant has a specific name. Kassleler is eaten either like a chop, often with kale, with potatoes, or with sauerkraut, or the meat is cubed and put into stews. Kasseler may be baked, roasted, or boiled. It may be eaten cold. Smoked pork chops (usually fully cooked) are a suitable substitute for Kasseler and can be bought anywhere in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back