Smokin' Pork Butts (56k Beware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since my last thread on here was about crab that smelled like pine sol, I figure I'll start a new one about a topic that's a little more appetizing: smoking pork butts.

For those that don't know, this is a cut from the shoulder area of the pig rather than other end as the name suggests. It's also called pork shoulder, but that name is no fun. It's right above the picnic, which is (of course) the foreleg. I don't know who thought the names for this stuff up. In the UK they use a different naming convention for pig parts, but that's a horse of a different color.

These are my 3rd and 4th butts. My first was decent - nothing to be ashamed of. My second was the best meat I'd ever tasted next to bacon. These are using the same recipe as the second one to the letter, except this time I ground every ingredient in the rub in a coffee grinder until it was a fine powder. Like chalk dust. I don't know whether that's going to be a very good or bad thing in the end, but I figured why not? It might help the flavor penetrate.

Anyway, I know ya'll didn't click on this to read a bunch of stuff so here's the POKE. They went on about an hour ago (midnight) and they'll be on till sometime between 8 and 12 (noon):
These are the butts, as purchased:
DSC00378.jpg

After trimming and injection, but before rub was applied:
DSC00382.jpg

My Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5" Smoker in it's home:
DSC00383-1.jpg

And the meat, fresh on the top grate:
DSC00385-1.jpg

Expect updates as things progress...

Man I'm hungry!

Originally Posted By: Boomer
And your address is.....??

Buwahahahhaha!

Quote:
My second was the best meat I'd ever tasted next to bacon....

Somebody should use this as a sig line
grin2.gif

I can't understand the fascination with bacon, the smell drives my friends crazy, i don't find it to appealing. I've had turkey, beef etc bacon(all brands) because I can't eat pork for religious reasons.

What makes it good? Everyone says the grease/fat and the crunch. No taste though?

Bacon has a great taste. Smokey and delicious. I don't like mine so crunchy - just in between. Those imo products just aren't bacon. OK for what they are, but they aren't bacon.

Bacon is truly fantastic. But I'm very intrigued by what's going on here GC02.

I usually pick up the butts, throw them in a crock pot for six hours, shred the meat (stir it with a wooden spoon at that point) add BBQ sauce and that's it. Pretty weak compared to this. Maybe I need to up my game...

Well, they'll be off in just a few more minutes. I basted them one last time and they're looking good. Temps are in the mid 190s, so it should be pretty tender.

Anies, if I'm not mistaken we'd spoken about this before but I was unaware that it was due to religious reasons you couldn't eat pork. Sorry if I was trying to pressure you, I just thought you were one of these health nut types. It's a very good kind of meat and there is really nothing else that has the same taste, texture, or smell as good, thick cut, fried bacon.

bepperb, if you want to read more about this method, there's alot of good barbecue sites out there, but my personal favorite is http://www.thevirtualweberbullet.com - they have a good cooking section (left pane) so click on that and scroll down to pork butts - that should help a bit. There's also a wealth of information about smoking in general, theory, and methods. There's also a forum if you're interested. Great bunch of guys.

This is the recipe that mine was based off of. I've changed some ratios and a couple ingredients, but you'll get the idea from this: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pork4.html

Looking good, greenaccord2. Must be the day for butts. I put four 8 lb'ers on this morning for my grandsons birthday party Sunday. Rubbed with TexasBBQRub's brisket blend and using pecan wood. Been on since about 8 AM holding steady around 240 degrees.

JF001.jpg

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Looking nice. Is that a maverick thermometer you're using? I just bought an ET-73 myself, but it's not here yet.

Yes, it is.I have two of them.Wha kind of wood did you use, and have you sampled yet?

OK - It's all done. I had to leave as soon as they were done to go to Dallas for the weekend, so while I did take pictures, I didn't have time to upload and post. They were let to rest for one hour before pulling - temps were between 195-200F when they were taken off the smoker. Total time was 9.5hrs.

I can't say I liked what powder-izing the rub did to the bark. It tasted good, but was a little harder and crustier than what I'm used to. It didn't look very good either, as you can see from the first picture. The meat was exceptionally juicy, so it could be that it had a sealing effect, but it's not worth it, IMO.

Whole:
DSC00386.jpg

Partially pulled:
DSC00390.jpg

Total yield:
DSC00391.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: farrarfan1
Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Looking nice. Is that a maverick thermometer you're using? I just bought an ET-73 myself, but it's not here yet.

Yes, it is.I have two of them.Wha kind of wood did you use, and have you sampled yet?

Used two fist-sized lumps of hickory and three of pecan. At about three hours in, I threw on another lump of each. It gave a pretty decent smoky taste without being overpowering at all.

You can send that to me at:

StevieC
123 My address Street
Near Hamilton Eh?, ONTARIO
X0X 0X0
Canada

Please use express post!
20.gif

Last edited:
"We took our original Texas BBQ Rub and added more spice and bigger pieces of key spices and cut down on the sugar so the long slow cooking of barbecue brisket and barbecue pork butts could absorb more of the flavor from the spices."

Got that from the Texas BBQ Rub product description. Does sugar cause the burning effect on the surface of the meat. I know when I grill using soy sauce and brown sugar it will do that. Surface part of the meat is hard crispy(looks burnt), inner juicy. But I'll still take that over using an oven.

The only pork butt I had was from an imu seasoned with sea salt only. It has a unique flavor and very juicy.

PS...I'll take that pork butt over an oven roast.

Well, I use turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw, etc.) and it's supposed to have a higher caramelization temperature than white or brown due to the large grain size and impurities. I think it's more about grain size because last time I used the same stuff, same concentration and same temp it didn't caramelize too much, but this time it really did. Also, the larger grain salt that I usually use in rubs was powder this time, so the salt and sugar granules that would usually 'melt in your mouth' just kind of hit you like a ton of bricks. Because of that, the flavor didn't develop as it should have when it hit your tounge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back