BBQ!

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it certainly can be done year-round, now that the weather is breaking here in Ohio, it's BBQ season!

Just picked up a new smoker last week (my 3rd smoker), so I had to break it in of course! It's a Green Mountain Daniel Boone Prime Wifi, my first pellet smoker. I also have a Weber Smokey Mountain I've used the past 10 years or so, which is traditional charcoal and wood chunk. Then my electrical smoker which is used when I needed something a bit quicker/easier. I was looking at many different smoker options, but the pellet option was intriguing. Just fill the hopper, set the temp and let it ride! No need to wake up in the middle of the night to check/adjust temps anymore, which makes doing longer cook time options easier.

So I picked up a 11lb packer brisket at the local butcher, rubbed with freshly ground black pepper and salt with a touch of garlic powder. Placed on the smoker for a hefty 16hr smoke at 225F until it reached it's internal temp of around 198F in the flat. Used a wood blend of maple, hickory and cherry.

When it hit the infamous 160F stall, I took off the point and cubed it, added more rub and sauce and placed back on the smoker for a few hours to make those incredible burnt ends. Which as anyone knows is probably the best part of a brisket (or probably any cut of meat!).

Scratch made BBQ sauce with my homebrew Rauchbier (smoked german-style beer) in it.

End result? Easily the best brisket I've done. Fantastic smoke flavor, excellent bark and it looked beautiful, too. I never got a smoke ring this prominent even with my charcoal/wood chunk smoker. Was really surprised how awesome it turned out.

I ate way too much (meat coma!) but it was worth it. Looking forward to either pulled pork or spare ribs this coming weekend... I have a feeling I will be smoking more than ever with this new smoker!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Any other BBQ'ers out there? What's cooking on your smokers?

Last edited:
Looks great except for the last picture. Throw the veggies out and replace with pinto beans and slaw.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted by Bud
Looks great except for the last picture. Throw the veggies out and replace with pinto beans and slaw.
cheers3.gif

I hear you! Usually I do make slaw or BBQ beans to pair alongside the protein... Not sure why I didn't this time, just wanted to focus on that brisket!
20.gif

Last edited:
You sir are good! I'm more inclined to believe it's the griller.....not the grill. I will withhold final judgement until you post about your pulled pork....my being from N.C. And all......
laugh.gif

Looks delicious.

I should grill more often. When I cut out most red meat (I have an occasional hamburger if I am at a friends house who is cooking up burgers and dogs) I stopped grilling for the most part.

I do eat a lot of chicken and should do more chicken on the grill.

Originally Posted by Bud
cheers3.gif

Or potato salad .

Originally Posted by gman2304
You sir are good! I'm more inclined to believe it's the griller.....not the grill. I will withhold final judgement until you post about your pulled pork....my being from N.C. And all......
laugh.gif

Smoked two shoulders last night... Rubbed in mustard and then a Memphis style dry rub, allowed to set overnight. Put in smoker at 225, utilizing Hickory. Finished this morning after 9hr and 11hr respectively for the smaller and larger shoulders at my target temp of 190-195F... Pulled and finished with a Carolina vinegar sauce (vinegar, apple juice, chili flake and some other goodies) and a little more rub. Can't wait for dinner later, tastes incredible from my 'quality control' checks...

In which yes, I made some scratch made slaw and brisket BBQ beans!
wink.gif

This was just the smaller shoulder... The larger one is still resting, to be pulled soon.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back