Smoke detectors - Make sure they work! PSA

Yes, presently I believe ALL smoke detectors must be replaced every 10 years. They all have a replacement date. Correct me if I’m wrong. :)
You're wrong. Some state laws require that you replace them if they're more than 10 years old when you sell the property. But most manufacturers just recommend replacing them after 10 years as most just have a 10 year warranty at best. They can and do work after 10 years. This is like the discussion on how long tires should be used after the manufacturer production date. On the other hand, carbon monoxide detectors use an electro-chemical sensor that wears out and won't work past 7-10 years. A photoelectric smoke alarm is just a light beam in a tube, when smoke particles break the beam, the alarm goes off. They all have a manufacture date. Some really old ones didn't even have a manufacture date on them. I still encounter some that are 20-30 years old when I replace them when selling a property.

For a rental house, fire codes require the landlord to do inspection and replacement and some localities mandate only the permanent 10 year battery type can be used. There are typically no such rules on owner-occupied housing. There you don't have to have detectors at all if that's your choice. Not a good choice but not illegal.

For a rental house, fire codes require the landlord to do inspection and replacement and some localities mandate only the permanent 10 year battery type can be used. There are typically no such rules on owner-occupied housing. There you don't have to have detectors at all if that's your choice. Not a good choice but not illegal.
No such code here. It's very strict on the sale of a property, but not on existing property. It just requires them to have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Probably because on average people move every 7-10 years on owner occupied properties, but you still see properties that were in the family for 30-40 years and the detectors are just about as old.

In addition to keeping fresh batteries in smoke detectors and replacing them before they get too old its important that they are properly installed and not taken down.
As a retired City Fire Captain/Fire Marshal I've investigated several differnt fatal fires where the working smoke detector was in a drawer, taken down often near the kitchen. Its depressing to hear muffled chirping smoke detector sounds coming out of drawers as you are zipping up a body bag.

Last edited:
In addition to keeping fresh batteries in smoke detectors and replacing them before they get too old its important that they are properly installed and not taken down.
As a retired City Fire Captain/Fire Marshal I've investigated several differnt fatal fires where the working smoke detector was in a drawer, taken down often near the kitchen. Its depressing to hear muffled chirping smoke detector sounds coming out of drawers as you are zipping up a body bag.

Yeah, I have crazy tenants that take out all the batteries in both the smoke detector and carbon monoxide alarms. I end up asking them what they're going to do if there's a fire or a carbon monoxide leak. I think there's some stat that says 1/3 of fires have non working smoke alarms. I guess that's why the sealed 10 year ones are a good idea. I've had crazy tenants throw them out the window.

And change them when they're 10 years old! They do go bad, just like the batteries.

I just changed all 5 of the Kidde units that came with my house when it was built. The old ones had definitely worn out.. LED status light was dim, alarm on some not audible. Incredibly easy to do since they haven't changed the design at all (except for aesthetic changes).

I just changed all 5 of the Kidde units that came with my house when it was built. The old ones had definitely worn out.. LED status light was dim, alarm on some not audible. Incredibly easy to do since they haven't changed the design at all (except for aesthetic changes).
Write the date installed on the back where the battery back up goes with a sharpie

The 10 year battery requirement was mandated by CA back in 2014. Given the large market of CA , most manufacturers adopt CA requirements nationally, in addition to other states duplicating the law.

I recently replaced 9 out of 12 installed ionizing hard wired smoke detectors (3 were combo CO). The old ones had a date of manufacture from 2003. The good news is the plug was the same (BRK/First Alert) which made the job quick.

Below is the USFA position on photoelectric vs. ionizing detectors:
  • In some full-scale fire tests, the difference in the time to alarm between ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms was found to be trivial. In other full-scale fire tests, the difference in response time was considerable.

We have all-electric heat. I only keep new CO detectors in the garage and first level up (family room is above garage). This is only in case the auto-start on the Foz malfunctions or one of us is dumb enough to leave the car running.

I‘ll add more CO detectors if we actually use our basement wood stove this year.

Finally, I replaced all of the old wired detectors last year and am in the process of adding non-connected 10-year Kiddes to EVERY space bot currently covered; the entire basement only has one, the upstairs (BIG space) only has one, etc. ridiculous and I should have remedied sooner!!!

Back