Smart hybrid water heater

My new hybrid water heater has a bunch of electronics in its control box. More that a thermostat. Owners manual does not give the specifics. The display in the WIFI app shows 2/3 hot water and 1/3 cold. Walk by it and it's not running. I have it set to heat-pump only mode. The indicator light is not on either.

I can set a schedule for when I would like it full of hot water so I just set that to 6 AM. What does it think it should be doing the rest of the day?

But if the water heater knows it has 1/3 cold water (via the display) why not turn on and heat it?

It does allow some connectivity to the power grid to tell it things (like the grid is in peak demand and wants to shed things like a water heater) but that is not setup. I am checking but unsure if my power supplier has this kind of option to directly communicate with my water heater.

Have not found an email address for AO Smith to ask technical questions. I will keep looking.

Have not had wife try a bath in Jacuzzi to see if the 80 gallon heater can do a better job of filling the tub than the 50 gallon gas heater did (it was marginal).

Depending on your ambient temp of installed location, you might just raise the tank temp to max. I did on mine to like 135˚ F, but my hybrid AO Smith is in a very hot Florida garage.
Anyway, my logic was two fold, I'd use less hot water for normal uses, such as shower and hot tub, and the dishwasher/laundry would get hot water when needed.
I've never run out of hot water (also 80 gal) since it was installed, I run it in heat pump mode only, and I have it set to come on at the hottest part of the day.
The electric company can shut it down with their separate box, but I very rarely see that happen.

The app isn’t always accurate. Ours will be in the red according to the app and we haven’t ran out yet.

I wouldn’t have it set on a timer. It’ll run as needed.

The app isn’t always accurate. Ours will be in the red according to the app and we haven’t ran out yet.

I wouldn’t have it set on a timer. It’ll run as needed.
I am not sure but I am hoping the "schedule" option will make sure it's got a full 80 gal of at 6 AM but will come on as needed during the rest of the day.

I am not sure but I am hoping the "schedule" option will make sure it's got a full 80 gal of at 6 AM but will come on as needed during the rest of the day.
Does it have a kilowatt hr tracker? Maybe play around with the settings and see what it is per month.

So the AO Smith Tech Support responded to my email but did not really explain the details except to say if the tank gets over half full of cold water it will come on to heat the water.

I don't know exactly how my old propane water heater worked as far as how much hot water had to be pulled from the tank before the burner came on.

One of the reasons to get this large hybrid water heater was so wife would have a full 80 gallons of hot water if she wanted to take bath in Jacuzzi. But a full 80 gallons of hot water may or may not be available.

I can set the demand option so it full of hot water at a certain time of day but hard to know when wife might decide she wants to take a bath

Back