Small rant on ignorant drivers and auto manufacturers.

I for one like the technology. Intermittent wipers are not that great in a light and variable mist/rain. I always had to activate them myself or adjust the speed as we went. The sensor driven automatic wipers take care of all that for me.

The backup sensors with cross traffic detection really help when a big pickup is parked next to me and obstructing my vision. They will pick up a person too and alert me.

Cars have had daytime running lights for a while now. Anything that makes me more visible to others is always a better idea.

The key here is to let the technology assist you in driving but not become dependent on it.
Programmable wiper relays have been around since at least the '80s. Turn the wiper on and immediately off. Turn the wiper on when you think it should wipe and it will now wipe at the set interval. My 1980 Rabbit has this feature. Sadly, these days in many cars the wiper is controlled by a computer module rather than by a relay. Progress!

To OP's point (driving at night without headlights) I mostly notice this because for some reason DRL (daytime running lights) are strangely "front only" even up to current models. I never understood this. If DRL included rear lights, that would solve the problem as far as I'm concerned. At least I won't slam into them from behind. It would also be much better entering tunnels and parking garages on sunny days.

Toyota/Lexus drivers are the worst when it comes to driving at night without their headlights on.
My car has auto headlights but hardly never works when it’s raining because it’s not dark enough outside for the sensor to activate it. I have to manually turn on the headlight switch.
Constantly drove the 2008 Tacoma with the lights off. The dash seemed the same night or day and rarely drove it out of town at night after the wife passed. The headlights in the new Maverick are auto on and auto high beams work very well and need no attention. The high beams are the best I have had on a vehicle. Period . The dash shows when light are on and when high beams are activated, and believe it or not the two lights are close to each other. The dash is quite bright with all its indicator lights coming on when you flip the ignition on.

You can select automatic + automatic dimmer if desired, park lights, or off.
Nothing wrong with that …

No GM problem bad as you want one …

This ^^^^^^^^^

I have all that automatic crap on both of my newer vehicles. The first thing I did was when I got them home, was read the manual, and learn how to shut it all off.

Auto headlights, lane departure, (talk about annoying), auto door locks, auto dimming lights and mirrors, and a bunch of other crap. Automakers put all that junk on cars because some people like it. At least some who are fascinated by all those non essential tinkertoys.

But with that said, you don't have to live with any of it if you don't want to. Perhaps at some point they'll be a permanent feature you won't be able to get rid of. But I don't know of ANY new or newer vehicles where you can't go to the screen, and start shutting all that crap off.

You can even get around the seat belt dinging by purchasing these. (Although that doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Seeing as not wearing a seatbelt is both dangerous and costly if you get into a wreck, or get pulled over).

Always fun to rant and whine. Our elderly friend just came home with her new Cadillac and she complains that when she opens the door, a message comes up stating "check the rear seats" ................. forgotten baby syndrome.

Four pages of grousing and nobody has mentioned the slew of deep discounts, rate reductions and premium rebates given by insurance companies because all these gadgets work so very well?

Some people get extremely offended when you use your horn, to the point they get out of their vehicle to start a fight.

Not sure if this is more prevalent in Northern Virginia or what.
While that's possible, most of the time they're just embarrassed. For example, if they're asleep at the switch when the light or arrow turns green. I've had it happen to me, and I was more embarrassed than angry. And when I do it, I just give it a tap. I don't sit on it, and deliberately try to irritate the person.

This ^^^^^^^^^

I have all that automatic crap on both of my newer vehicles. The first thing I did was when I got them home, was read the manual, and learn how to shut it all off.

Auto headlights, lane departure, (talk about annoying), auto door locks, auto dimming lights and mirrors, and a bunch of other crap. Automakers put all that junk on cars because some people like it. At least some who are fascinated by all those non essential tinkertoys.

But with that said, you don't have to live with any of it if you don't want to. Perhaps at some point they'll be a permanent feature you won't be able to get rid of. But I don't know of ANY new or newer vehicles where you can't go to the screen, and start shutting all that crap off.

You can even get around the seat belt dinging by purchasing these. (Although that doesn't seem like the smartest thing to do. Seeing as not wearing a seatbelt is both dangerous and costly if you get into a wreck, or get pulled over).

Those auto dimming rear view mirrors are indeed frustrating. I’d rather flip that switch myself 😉

Four pages of grousing and nobody has mentioned the slew of deep discounts, rate reductions and premium rebates given by insurance companies because all these gadgets work so very well?
That's most likely because everyone is paying more for auto insurance than they ever have before.

Just today I pulled up to a stop light the same time as a cop, when I looked over he was talking on his phone, as he turned right I noticed his blinker was not blinking.

Back