Small Pickups

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Within the year I'd like to purchase a used, small pickup truck. At one time I had a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 and loved that baby. Mileage was decent with the V6 and the size was just about perfect. After moving to its big brother, a 1990 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4, I never looked back to the smaller trucks. Well, times have changed ...

What are some suggestions for a small truck in the $10,000 range? For a while, I had a Toyota TRD and liked it, the size was good. Are there any small Diesel trucks that have a good reputation?

The use will be for camping and vacation trips. No towing involved. Very little hauling except for some bags of soil, small pieces of lumber, bicycle, and, of course, some camping gear when on the road. I like to sleep in the truck bed ... I'd get a "topper" unit.

All I can say is, good luck…

If not towing then why diesel? anything recent that is diesel seems to be more to buy and more to repair.

Just to play devils advocate, why not full size? more common after all. I get the allure of the smaller size though, but I know others will ask.

I know it's a hard ask, that's why I posted here as opposed to just searching used car listings. Mostly I want to know what's out there.

As for Diesel, well, I just like 'em, and appreciate the good mileage I got with my F-350. But it's not necessary. Still, a small Diesel intrigues me.

Driving around town in a full-size truck is not pleasant here. My F-350 was often a PITA to jockey around in town. OTOH, a friend had a 1978 F-series, and that was a nice size. The earlier ones were smaller. I'd go for something like that except that good ones seem to be spendy and I'd be concerned about the mechanics on so old a vehicle, not that that couldn't be dealt with.

Full sized RCSB? I wonder if one would have a long enough bed for what you want, while being short enough to not feel too big. Older trucks seem to have a good following, so might not save a lot but knowledge on repairs is widespread.

Anyhow. IMO I’d skip on the diesel, I’m just not sure it’ll be cheap. At the moment everything is expensive it seems.

Does it need to be 4x4? Extended cab? I wonder if you would have better luck with regular cab 2WD, like a fleet or loss leader model. Manual or automatic?

I sometimes think about a Toyota 2WD, not sure if I want extended or regular cab, extended I don’t think would fit into my garage, either way, with a topper. 4WD models are too high off the ground IMO. I get the appeal of the smaller truck. But I’d be quite sad the first time I got stuck in winter, so there’s that, and IIRC the smaller trucks were not walking away from their full sized brethren, especially not when loaded up and used as trucks.

Small diesel pickups do not exist unless you buy something old from the 1980's.
The next step up would be a Colorado/Canyon diesel which is mid-sized, but will be a high mileage wreck if you can find one for 10K.

My home is on 5 acres and I could really use a truck. I can afford one, but have never cared about the driving dynamics of trucks.
I have been able to do all my truck duties by renting from home improvement centers and once from a U-Haul.

small pickup?

1969Minipickup_01_700.jpg

I found some late-70s F-series trucks that are within my budget. Condition is a question as I've not seen any of them yet, and I'm not going to in the short term. They are halfway across the country. But I know they exist. Need to check the size as I don't want to go too big.

Used Frontier? About the only nissan product i would consider.

I found some late-70s F-series trucks that are within my budget. Condition is a question as I've not seen any of them yet, and I'm not going to in the short term. They are halfway across the country. But I know they exist. Need to check the size as I don't want to go too big.
Good trucks but will not offer fuel savings if that is what you are after. I love Frontiers. but only 4 cylinders will provide modest fuel savings.

Within the year I'd like to purchase a used, small pickup truck. At one time I had a 1993 Ford Ranger 4x4 and loved that baby. Mileage was decent with the V6 and the size was just about perfect. After moving to its big brother, a 1990 Ford F-350 Diesel 4x4, I never looked back to the smaller trucks. Well, times have changed ...

What are some suggestions for a small truck in the $10,000 range? For a while, I had a Toyota TRD and liked it, the size was good. Are there any small Diesel trucks that have a good reputation?

The use will be for camping and vacation trips. No towing involved. Very little hauling except for some bags of soil, small pieces of lumber, bicycle, and, of course, some camping gear when on the road. I like to sleep in the truck bed ... I'd get a "topper" unit.
My sister swore by her Nissan Frontier. In 18 years and 200k, the only thing she ever had to do besides normal mx was one sensor.

She's got a 2015 Tacoma now and no issues to date.

Both manual transmission.

Back