Small Foam Issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like someone at PBI might be looking for a new gig, supposedly backed a golf cart into one of the foam lines in the hangar.

PBI Foam 1.jpg

PBI Foam 2.jpg

PBI Foam 3.jpg

TR flight 802, cloud cover today extremely low. Use caution taxiing to runway 22R, and have a safe flight.....

Yep, someone may be looking for a new job.

AFFF solution in a deluge setup for hangar use, required for a hangar above a specified size. Basically several massive blowers mix the foam solution with water from the incoming fire line to fill the hangar with foam to quench any fire inside the structure. This is the same solution used on airport crash trucks just applied automatically by the buildings fire suppression system. Works great for a fire, however can be costly when set off accidentally such as this. The solution can be corrosive to aircraft and all involved will need to undergo at a minimum an inspection.

They go off by accident all the time. It's happened at our facility (Embraer Aircraft Maintenance Nashville) multiple times in all 3 hangars. Sometimes it's set off accidentally by a maintenance crew. Other times flashes of lightning from a storm trigger the electric eye IR detector that is designed to "see" a fire. Or, it can be triggered by lightning striking the building.

One of our hangars has the sweeping foam cannons in the corners of the hangar. I was working in the hangar on an ERJ-145 in 2013 when lightning from a storm triggered the system. An alarm goes off, strobes start flashing, and you have 10-15 seconds to run to the wall and hit a button and hold it, or the system starts and then I'm not sure how you stop it. After the 10-15 seconds, the button on the wall doesn't work, from my understanding.

That day in June 2013, it filled the hangar with a few inches of foam and water. That stuff stinks, too. Very sulfurous and chemically smell.

I'm based in Jet Aviation hangar 5. Good thing this was in hangar 3 and it was not my golf cart.

The newer foam systems use a product that is much like dawn dishwashing soap. It's pretty harmless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back