United 777 emergency landing in Sydney

Any comments? It seemed rather uneventful, but this one had someone recording the fire crew coming out to inspect the landing gear. Some kind of smoke or mist coming out of the landing gear - probably hydraulic fluid. And it seems like United can't catch a break.

Supposedly a hydraulic leak.

All aircraft are complex so any issues can occur at any given time.

Yes, United has been in the news a lot lately.

This is a routine precaution with any non-normal landing. It is better to have the fire department already there before any fire breaks out.

This is a routine precaution with any non-normal landing. It is better to have the fire department already there before any fire breaks out.

Sure. However, this is rarely seen in this sort of detail. I was frankly surprised at how good this looked. It seemed like someone had a telephoto lens and maybe a dSLR pointed at the airport from a high vantage point.

United is the last airlines I would fly on if I had a choice....for other reasons.

OTOH, I've always preferred to fly on Boeing jets but I'm rethinking that now as well.
I'm wondering why they've had so many issues lately? It's disgraceful that their top of the line 'safety system'
on the 737 Max was an extra cost option IIRC.

Last edited:
There were probably many other precautionary callouts that weren't caught on camera on many other airlines and airplane types. Humans have the same weird gang-up mentality that dogs do.
It looks like the pilots were engaging the brakes while the FD held a hose at ready. A little spurt of fluid popping out each time they actuated the brakes or something in the landing gear. No fire just a mist of fluid.

1710196734115.jpg

Last edited:
You guys probably know this but the triple 7 has steerable rear wheels and those are powered by hydraulics. If a line ruptures and spews fluid on the brake heads it can be deadly serious. I have no idea if that's what happened here but I figured I'd throw something out there.

And yes, United Airlines has had a very tough month thus far.

Last edited:
They put ATE plastilube on sliding pins :)
Boelube, not ATE plastilube. This is a high technology flying machine with whizzers and poppers. You can't use that jelly stuff from the dime store if you hope to make it back home.

Back