small engine bypass filtering.

I have some small drill bits, but I might make up something with a needle valve to adjust the flow rate move up to that size in small increments.
Check your PMs I am sure we are previously acquainted.
Check out Wix 24076 or Napa 4076 filter base. They take 3/4 x 16 filters. If you use a filter with a ADV, no check valve is needed. I like your needle valve plan. Put it on the outlet side and you won't have to worry about it cloging up.

I have some small drill bits, but I might make up something with a needle valve to adjust the flow rate move up to that size in small increments.
Check your PMs I am sure we are previously acquainted.
The correct oil hole size for a bypass filter is 1/16".
I have the same black Motorguard filter. You can use a TP roll inside. Needs to be slimmed down n the outside, and I 'bush' it on the inside with center tubes slit from old TP rolls. And I use the original plastic filter holders. It works. You can use a soldered brass fitting drilled to 1/16" hole screwed into the bottom of these things.

Another option for the old Kohler would be just invest in an oil-extractor and have two or three sumps-worth of oil "in cycle" between the sump and a simple gravity TP filtration system.

If you fit a bypass filter system to the engine, you might want to have a petcock on the inlet so that you can isolate the filter to make sure of maintaining pressure on startup, and to prevent drain back into the sump. Depending on how much oil is in the lines and the bypass filter, there could be an issue with that oil draining into the sump between startups.

Go over to www.smokstak.com and you'll find lots of info and probably parts for your Kohler.

First thing would be a copy of the manual, and run the grade of oil Kohler recommended: probably straight 30W non-detergent in those days.

Last edited:
I would run a good HDEO like Rotella T6 15w40 and change it regularly. Add a magnetic drain plug if it makes you feel better, but I really wouldn't attempt to put in some kind of aftermarket filtering system, which will have very little benefit and more risk for issues.

Back