SLX LongTec going in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've decided I'm going to give SLX LongTec (the new German Castrol formulation) a try in my 1.8T.

I got this:

-

and this:

-

It's probably of not much interest to the north american folks, as you don't get this formulation over there (at least not yet). And it's a bit of a gamble on my side since Castrol didn't bother to release any specs of this oil, apart from the certifications that it meets:

-

But heck, the old SLX can no longer be found here (all gone and replaced by SLX LongTec), and someone's gotta be the first to try it, right?
smile.gif
I also want to do a VOA of this oil, and I will, if I can finally get Blackstone to send me the darn test kit.
rolleyes.gif

And once I hit 5k miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, I'll do a UOA as well.

So, that's that. Nothing scientific here. Just wanted to share.
smile.gif

Cheers,

Is that a group III/ester oil like some of the other 0w-30 and 5w-30's now offered abroad?

See that asterik by the Fully Synthetic Motor Oil on the front of the bottle , what does that tell on the other side ?

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
See that asterik by the Fully Synthetic Motor Oil on the front of the bottle , what does that tell on the other side ?

Castrol in Europe doesn't play the same word game that Castrol NA does. If it says "fully synthetic," then you can believe it's PAO/ester. They label the Group III oils has "HC Technologie," i.e., "hydrocracked." Fuchs calls their Group III oils "MC," i.e., "Molecular Conversion."

I found it interesting to see that this SLX LongTec is 229.5 rated. This makes it the first Castrol oil to get that rating. This oil is no doubt a newer formulation of the 229.3 0w30 SLX that we get in the States as Syntec 0w30.

I sure hope it's not Group III. At $15 a liter it better not be.
grin.gif

Some of the Castrol GTX Magnatec grades are Group III, and it says "synthetic technology" on their bottles as opposed to "fully synthetic" for other Castrol oils here, including this SLX LongTec.

But yeah, I didn't even notice the asterisk until you pointed it out. Gonna have to go home and examine that bottle to see if there is any explanation for it. Other than that, there's just this marketing mumbo jumbo in several languages on the back:

-

[ May 21, 2004, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: Quattro Pete ]

I wonder if future versions of Castrol Syntec 0w30 (GC) sold in North America will end up being this oil here?

Haven't opened the bottle yet. It'll be another week before I do the oil change. But I'll be sure to report back on the smell.
wink.gif

Pete, have you opened the bottle yet?
wink.gif

I'm off to Vegas tomorrow and wont have internet access for a week, was curious if this stuff looks the same as the GC we have here in the states.

is this castrols top oil over in Poland? I have a few friends living in Poland, if you get good results I'd like to recommend it to them
grin.gif

No, I haven't opened it yet. I'm waiting for some test kits to arrive here before I do the oil change. I'm hoping to do it next weekend.

Yes, it is Castrol's top oil over here along with TWS 10w-60. These two must be the most expensive oils on the market right now. SLX LongTec is about 30% more expensive than M1 0w-40, for example.

Finally did an oil change (been waiting for test kits to get here). I've never seen nor smelled the GC that's available in North America, so I can't confirm nor deny that SLX LongTec looks and smells the same. It did look green though when I poured it. And it did smell "nice", for the lack of a better word.
grin.gif
Kind of like washing detergent. Can't say that it smelled like gummi bears, but then again, I have a cold so my sense of smell is all messed up. VOA will be coming up in about a week or two.

cheers.gif

Whatever Castrol is using in this GC/Long Tec oil, it works very well. This is probably the among the top 3 oils among all oils right now in my book.

Green again ? Other Castrol SLX oils of shop line are also green. If it's so, nobody would notice a difference once Castrol will start supply it to the N.A. market. May be it already does ?

Read in one of books on oils: there is a stereotype, especially in the US, that was formed many years ago according to which a high quality engine oil made of paraffinic oils should have slightly fluorescent greenish shade. That's why now some manufacturers expressly add dyes into oils.

quote:

Originally posted by Matt89:
Somebody needs to email 'pscholte' uber quick!

Matt89,

Thanks...er danke schön... for thinking about me...wonder if this oil is the same as "DCO TOPUP?" (See below) And what if the change in batch numbers was a switch to this stuff and what if....sorry, I just need to calm down...I think I may be in love............again...
grin.gif

MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

AGIP Formula LL DC SAE 5W-30 (I)
Amsoil Synthetic 5W-40 European Engine Oil (USA)
Aral SuperTronic M SAE 5W-30 (D)
Castrol DCO TOPUP SAE 0W-30 (D)
Elf Excellium 229.5 5W-30 (F)
FormulaShell Ultra AB 5W-30 (GB)
Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL MB SAE 5W-30 (D)
Labo MB 229.5 5W-30 (F)
Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech 5W-30 (D)
Mobil 1 SuperSyn European Car Formula 0W-40 / Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel 0W-40 (USA)
Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30 (USA)
Motorex Profil M-XL 5W-30 (CH)
OMV full syn MB 5W-30 (A)
Pennzoil European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)
Premium Synthetik Motorenöl 5W-30 (DaimlerChrysler, D)
Quaker State European Formula Ultra 5W-30 (USA)
Shell Helix Ultra AB SAE 5W-30 (Mercedes-Benz) (GB)
Shell Helix Ultra DC 229.5 (GB)
Total Quartz 229.5 5W-30 (F)
Valvoline SynPower MB 5W-30 (NL)

PS The A6 still loves this stuff even in the Nevada/Calif desert at 100 degrees, high speeds and serious altitude changes.

[ June 11, 2004, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
Green again ? Other Castrol SLX oils of shop line are also green. If it's so, nobody would notice a difference once Castrol will start supply it to the N.A. market. May be it already does ?

Read in one of books on oils: there is a stereotype, especially in the US, that was formed many years ago according to which a high quality engine oil made of paraffinic oils should have slightly fluorescent greenish shade. That's why now some manufacturers expressly add dyes into oils.

Primus,

Your commentary on color is interesting. We bought my daughter a 2003 Ford Focus that uses 5W20 oil. The Motorcraft version is bright florescent yellow green and even retains some of the color when seen on the dipstick.

Pete, thanks a bunch for updating us, i've been waiting to hear from you about this oil! From what it sounds, it is like our GC, i dont really see the gummy bear smell either, but it does smell a little "sweeter" than other oils, kinda smells like redline....

Anyway, i still havent tried the stuff in my car, but i did buy some hehe, thanks again for the update.

Right. It's not the old GC as we know it. LongTec is the new version of it, that has not yet hit the North American shores. Possibly it never will. It may not even get distributed outside Eastern Europe and Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back