SLX LongTec going in

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if they are going to continue with the old formula in our GC sold here or maybe they'll switch to the Longtec once their supplies of the old stuff run out.... hey as long as its green its cool
wink.gif

Btw, Pete, thanks for the VOA!

Lots of Mercedes in your part of the world? They must have brewed it to 229.5 for some reason.

Nice pix. The VW filter looks like a Mann manufactured piece to me. Cool bottle as well. The jug looks like it would pour very easily and consistently thanks to the air vent back through the handle into the body.

Joh

pscholte, there are some Mercedes, but not too many, most of them older anyway.

jthorner, I'm not sure who made this particular filter, but yeah, it's just Audi/VW OEM that I picked up from the dealer. And yes, the oil does pour nicely out of this jug.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:
It may not even get distributed outside Eastern Europe and Russia.

Longtec is already available in Scandinavian countries. Castrol UK also put the specs on its site. So it will be available everywhere. Quite possible that Castrol may give it a different name for some countries. When we started the discussion on LongTec and GM, I expressed my supposition it may be "DCO TOPUP" in Germany. Time will show. As for LongTec base stock, according to Castrol UK it's a blend of gr.III and PAO, thus selling it at $ 15/l in Poland Castrol far overestimates its performance. For a lower price you would buy Elf 5W-40 or even 0W-40.

As for prices. Just came back from Belgium. I travelled by car and that's why had the opportunity to check what is offered at gas stations in Germany and Holland. Have not seen LongTec. Formula SLX is still available, but prices !!! At BP and Aral (looks like now a part of BP too) it's EUR 19,35/l. Interesting, but at JET (Conoco) it's nearly one Euro less. Other brands 0W-30 and 0W-40 are slightly less or in line with SLX offerings. Crazy prices and no one quality may justify such prices.

quote:

Originally posted by Primus:
Longtec is already available in Scandinavian countries. Castrol UK also put the specs on its site. So it will be available everywhere. Quite possible that Castrol may give it a different name for some countries. When we started the discussion on LongTec and GM, I expressed my supposition it may be "DCO TOPUP" in Germany. Time will show. As for LongTec base stock, according to Castrol UK it's a blend of gr.III and PAO, thus selling it at $ 15/l in Poland Castrol far overestimates its performance. For a lower price you would buy Elf 5W-40 or even 0W-40.

As for prices. Just came back from Belgium. I travelled by car and that's why had the opportunity to check what is offered at gas stations in Germany and Holland. Have not seen LongTec. Formula SLX is still available, but prices !!! At BP and Aral (looks like now a part of BP too) it's EUR 19,35/l. Interesting, but at JET (Conoco) it's nearly one Euro less. Other brands 0W-30 and 0W-40 are slightly less or in line with SLX offerings. Crazy prices and no one quality may justify such prices.

We in the US cannot complain then about an SLX price of about €7.5/lt (equivalent).

Primus, can you point me to the Longtec spec sheet on the UK site? I cannot find it, i only see Formula SLX, but not Longtec, i was under the impression that Longtec was a reformulated Formula SLX to make it last longer, I wouldnt have thought they would put grpIII in there....

[ June 26, 2004, 03:05 PM: Message edited by: cweed ]

quote:

Castrol UK also put the specs on its site.

Link? I can't find it either.
quote:

As for LongTec base stock, according to Castrol UK it's a blend of gr.III and PAO, thus selling it at $ 15/l in Poland Castrol far overestimates its performance.

Apparently they've done some extensive testing in turbocharged applications with this oil, but coming from Castrol's mouth it means little to us. Rather than overestimating performance, my suspicion has always been that they're trying to sell group III hydrocracked synthetic at the price of PAO, which is what they've been doing in the US for years with their Syntec brand. More importantly, I want to see some UOAs - if they look good, I don't care what this oil is made of, gummi bears or else.

quote:

Originally posted by Quattro Pete:

quote:

Castrol UK also put the specs on its site.

Link? I can't find it either.
quote:

As for LongTec base stock, according to Castrol UK it's a blend of gr.III and PAO, thus selling it at $ 15/l in Poland Castrol far overestimates its performance.

Apparently they've done some extensive testing in turbocharged applications with this oil, but coming from Castrol's mouth it means little to us. Rather than overestimating performance, my suspicion has always been that they're trying to sell group III hydrocracked synthetic at the price of PAO, which is what they've been doing in the US for years with their Syntec brand. More importantly, I want to see some UOAs - if they look good, I don't care what this oil is made of, gummi bears or else.

Normally I am a very particular guy on how companies do business and how companies cost their products, but if I can get SLX or SLX LongTec for US prices I am not complaining...maybe if I were paying €18+ per litre I would feel differently

That's how I feel about it too, the only thing that concerns me about getting SLX in the US is whether it will be here to stay or if Castrol will pull it and leave many of us hanging....

quote:

Originally posted by cweed:
That's how I feel about it too, the only thing that concerns me about getting SLX in the US is whether it will be here to stay or if Castrol will pull it and leave many of us hanging....

cweed,

I have 154 qts so that isn't even a worry.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by pscholte:

grin.gif

You should consider making some exports back to europe. Now let me think ...150*20=3000 euros.
Hey Pablo here is the secret for some real profit.

pscholte, now most people wouldn't say this about oil, but I will.... I'm jealous!
wink.gif
I only have the 6 quarts that I plan on putting it at next change...

Primus, thanks for the link, the site has both SLX and SLX Longtec safety data sheets, I looked at them both, but noticed SLX Longtec has a Date of issue of 22 Oct, 2003, while SLX has 15 Dec, 2003, I would have expected Longtec to be newer, unless the old SLX was reformulated.

BUT, the bottom line is you are right, Longtec is listed as a synth + mineral
frown.gif
"Synthetic base stock.Highly refined mineral oil (IP 346 DMSO extract < 3%). Proprietary performance additives."
while SLX is "Synthetic base stock. Proprietary performance additives. " with no mention of mineral oil.

A bit disappointing.... If I like this oil when i try it i'm going to stock up on it like you guys
smile.gif

*edit* also interesting to see they have two rs 10w-60 formulations, one nov,2003 and one may,2004 and SLX GM is not listed to have a mineral component *edit*

[ June 27, 2004, 11:41 AM: Message edited by: cweed ]

quote:

Originally posted by yannis:

quote:

grin.gif

You should consider making some exports back to europe. Now let me think ...150*20=3000 euros.
Hey Pablo here is the secret for some real profit.

yannis,

It would be nice to have lots of €€€ on hand for the FIFA World Cup in 2006!

cheers.gif

quote:

yannis,

We hope to attend as a university graduation gift to my son. He played soccer (football) for most of his life (and he was also born in Germany [we lived there for three years]) so this would obviously be a dream come true for him...wonder what magical oils will be on the market in Europe by summer 2006?

PS Congratulations on the successes of the Greek national team in Euro 2004.

The whole country is living days of glory.You could hear the people's exclamations when we scored against France, it was like i was in that stadium. Everybody were watching the match and after the end they run in the sreets waving greek flags and celebrating till the morning.Crazy people
smile.gif
It reminds me the summer of 1987 when we beat the Russians and took the European basketball champioship.Basketball became our favourite sport ever seens but football is making its way to the top although to me basketball is the king of spotrs.
We are probably going to play against Czech repablic in the semifinals and they are TOUGH .They beat Germany with their second team!! it will be a great match.

yannis,

We hope to attend as a university graduation gift to my son. He played soccer (football) for most of his life (and he was also born in Germany [we lived there for three years]) so this would obviously be a dream come true for him...wonder what magical oils will be on the market in Europe by summer 2006?

PS Congratulations on the successes of the Greek national team in Euro 2004.

Apologies for retaking the original topic
grin.gif
but I was reviewing Castrols RS 0w-40 data sheet and I have found differences between the castrol.uk web and the one I have...

Castrol UK (note that it is "version 2" 10 May ´04):

Flash point 234 °C (Closed cup)
Pour Point -63 °C
Colour Brown.
Physical state Liquid.
Odour Slight.
840 kg/m3 (0.8 g/cm3) at 20°C Density
Solubility Insoluble in water.
Viscosity Kinematic: 75 mm2/s (75 cSt) at 40°C
Kinematic: 12.9 mm2/s (12.9 cSt) at 100°C

Spanish Castrol:
Densidad @ 20º C ISO 3675 / ASTM D1298 g/cm3 0.840
Viscosidad Cinemática @ 40º C ISO 3104 / ASTM D445 mm2/s 73.5
Viscosidad Cinemática @ 100º C ISO 3104 / ASTM D445 mm2/s 12.9
Índice de Viscosidad ISO 2909 / ASTM D2270 - 177
Viscosidad CCS @ -35ºC ASTM D 5293 mPa.s 5200
TBN ASTM D2896 mgKOH/g 10.3
Punto de Inflamación (pmc) ASTM D93 ºC 238
Punto de Congelación ASTM D97 ºC -57
Viscosidad HTHS CEC L-36-A-90 cP 3.7

The more data sheet I see, more confused I get
dunno.gif

Same here! the specs on the UK site seem to differ from others, another example, Pete said his Longtec was green like our GC, yet the UK site lists color of their SLX Longtec as amber.... Maybe they made a mistake and their longtec is not really longtec, but another oil longlife maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back