SLUDGE!!! Need some oil experts...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, let's bring this thread back from the dead! I finally put 500 miles on the Jeep, which only took me 3+ months. I ended up buying a second Jeep, a '99 TJ, and I have been driving it more than anything else. Anyway, I am back to driving the YJ a little more, and finally hit the 500 mile filter change interval. Just a little information for those just checking in, I cleaned out all the sludge I could on the valve train and in the oil pan, and filled the engine with 4 qts 10w-30 and 1 qt MMO. Now that I have put 500 miles since the addition of MMO, I changed the filter.

I cut the filter in half, which is a bit of a pain. It actually looked pretty good on the inside, at least as best I can tell. The oil I poured from the filter was very dark, but the oil on the dipstick has a nice caramel color.

Here are a few pics:

500mileFilter.jpg

500mileFilter1.jpg

500mileFilter2.jpg

500mileFilter3.jpg

500mileFilter4.jpg

500mileFilter5.jpg

500mileFilter6.jpg

My oil pressure throughout the last 500 miles has stayed around 35psi, and I have not had any issues with it dropping too low. The highest is gets is well up to 60psi, when the RPMs go up. I will say this, in the short amount of time I have driven it since the filter change, I have noticed the oil pressure goes from 35-60psi a lot quicker than before!

Give the MMO some time to work, 500 miles is nothing. As far as the oil pressure rising quicker, that is one of the benefits of MMO during the cold weather. Make sure when you replace the filter and top up to add 20% MMO to the mix, that will help with the cleaning. Give it a full OCI to work.

BTW- Cool way of cutting a filter open!

When you said cut in half.. you really meant cut in half..
lol.gif

Pull the media out and let it drain on a paper towl for a day or two..

Quote:
Oh, and please get the media out and take clear shot pics of that too, please!

Sure, I'll try and get a few pics tomorrow once I am home.

That is horrifying! I had a different post but it looks like you're already doing what I and others suggested. looks like it's working to. It will take a while though.

Last edited:
Its a 2.5L Jeep with 154k miles. Its suppose to look like that.

You did a great job with the scrubbing and cleaning. Stick with the 20-25% MMO/Rislone(alternate between the 2) and the rest cheapest name brand SN/GF5 oil and 3k/3mo oil changes, whichever comes 1st. Use a cheap oversized filter. No need to invest in anything else. No need to worry about engine as it'll run forever.

Make sure PCV is up to snuff and that engine comes up to temp(new OE thermostat/coolant/radcap)...

Keep driving. Pull the valve cover off at 300k and see how its doing. Keep driving.

Drive it some more.

Quote:
Make sure PCV is up to snuff and that engine comes up to temp(new OE thermostat/coolant/radcap)...

Keep driving. Pull the valve cover off at 300k and see how its doing. Keep driving.

I had to really clean the PCV valve and valve cover when I replaced the gasket, they were both completely clogged and filled with sludge. I also went ahead and changed the thermostat since I was right there at the housing with the cover removed. Its cheap insurance, and extremely easy to change out.

I'd ultimately like to drive through 2x treatments of MMO and pull the cover again in 5k miles, but that may take years for me to accumulate the mileage!

Yes, it is working. Great thread and keep it up! ...and would it kill you to drive that thing to speed this process up?
grin2.gif

Free the beast!
19.gif
13.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back