Oil for Toyota 1MZ-FE sludge engine?

Check/change the PVC. I you have already, well, IDK!
We had a 2001 RX300 AWD V6 that my wife bought brand new in '01 and then sold to her sister in 2015.
In 2020, the tranny finally bit the dust at only 150K miles and 7 ATF changes in its lifetime.
Never any oil burning using conventional 5W30. Since you've made it to >300K miles, you've done well.

There is more help from ClubLexus Forum. I joined years ago and you may find waaaaaaaaay more information there than here at BITOG.

Last edited:
Hello

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 310k miles.

The engine is the 1MZ-FE engine that is known for sludge and I bet I have a fair amount of sludge by now. I am afraid to pull the rear valve cover.

I switched to full synthetic about 4 years ago and run 5W30.

I consume about 1 quart every 500 miles. I have some small oil leaks (valve cover gaskets as well as crank or cam seals). But I think I am burning most of what I am consuming unless the oil loss is going to sludge buildup.

Should I stick with 5W30 or go up or down a grade. From a sludge point of view is thinner or thicker oil better?
Very important, please read this post.

Don't give up on fixing the oil consumption. These engines can consume oil because of the faulty design of the rear valve cover and PCV system. There is plenty of online documentation showing your model having severe oil consumption issues, which have been slowed or completely fixed by upgrading the rear valve cover and new style of PCV valve. If you are going to have the rear cover off for any reason, it's worth installing the updated one while already working back there. I have the same engine, and will be upgrading my rear valve cover next time I change the spark plugs and cover gasket.

Here is just one of many threads of people with crazy consumption going to little or no consumption after upgrading the valve cover and PCV valve+hose. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-1st-gen-1999-2003/582802-reengineered-rear-valve-cover.html

View attachment 54316

Link to the 3rd gen updated valve cover.
OP, it may be worth upgrading those valve covers. I got a 2006 Toyota Camry LE with the 3.0L 1MZ-FE (last model year of that engine in US Toyotas) and 201k miles. Zero oil consumption, and it currently has Idemitsu 0W20 in the crankcase. So those late model PCV vents must be doing a good job.

OP, it may be worth upgrading those valve covers. I got a 2006 Toyota Camry LE with the 3.0L 1MZ-FE (last model year of that engine in US Toyotas) and 201k miles. Zero oil consumption, and it currently has Idemitsu 0W20 in the crankcase. So those late model PCV vents must be doing a good job.
Doesn’t that model year have the 3.3L variant? Lol. The 3.0L was only in the first few years of production for the 1MZ

3.3L for SE, 3.0 for the ho-hum Camry fleet

Hello

I have a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 310k miles lol

I have a 98 Camry V6 with the same engine that I’ve cared for since new. 350k on the original engine and trans. No major sludge or consumption on it. Been doing 3-5k oil changes with synthetic. Any brand. 🤷🏻‍♂️

definitely try to correct the consumption issue if you plan on continuing to drive it. That’s an unhealthy amount of oil to consume.

Doesn’t that model year have the 3.3L variant? Lol. The 3.0L was only in the first few years of production for the 1MZ

The Camry V6 was the 3.0L 1MZ from 94-06 (3/4/5th gen)

The Camry SE V6 got the 3.3L 3MZ from 04-06, but only on the SE. The LE and XLE V6 kept the 1MZ

The ES300 had the 1MZ from 94-03 and then became the ES330 with the 3MZ from 04-06

Also, the Avalon never got the 3MZ

Back