Slippery Oil

That's the problem there is nothing technical about this but you keep trying to be right maybe. I answered your questions in the beginning, you replied how crap in a can is detrimental usually, i replied i use an additive for specific purposes and tried ending it there. Then again you insult people for trying them, adding a couple graphs about your points but there was no debate. Go back a reread and maybe you can learn about yourself. You enjoy the weekend as well.

I don’t understand why you are keeping this discussion in a argumentative fashion? @OVERKILL gave you technical facts and graphs to show his side but you are stuck on the feelings between fingers method.

You should go back and reread his explanations.

I don’t understand why you are keeping this discussion in a argumentative fashion? @OVERKILL gave you technical facts and graphs to show his side but you are stuck on the feelings between fingers method.

Once people start off by insulting a group of people who use additives or anything really, there is no discussion. They are not going to see the other point and continue insulting based on what they perceive as facts. I wrote first long reply about tired of others insulting what they don't do and/or like on this forum. I have not read on here were someone who uses additives tell the non additive users they are niave, foolish or ignorant for not using additives, yet the other way around happens. Even in additives section people hop on there and will post don't use additives, buy better oil, you can't make it better, okay if you don't agree are you adding to the post, probably not.
I imagine the vast majority on here understand that oil manufacturers make it to a point they believe is good or to a price point- why we are here is for knowledge and understanding. Yet, some are just trying for something for a specific reason. If someone uses additives so be it, not your money or vehicle and noone says you have to. His data showed yes oil formulated w certain additives to a certain point have a platue point of efficiency, never stated it was wrong.
Now I had no other information on the additive for why it feels that way and tried explaining that. I really don't care why it is that way as I use it for different reasons never for how it felt- visc thickener, has additives and helped reduce oil consumption. Moly ep has good anti wear and friction properties- read about it if interested it is really interesting and why Schaeffer does blend it in some oil.
Hope this explains i am not trying to be argumentative just exposing a point.

Thank you.

It's also interesting that when you refer to the general population in a way that accurately describes them (most of them know nothing about oil or their cars, that's a fact, not an insult) that this was taken as a massive slight, rather than the description that it was.

Several of us tried to steer the subject technical, the typical fare for this forum, but it went personal for somebody immediately, and despite my numerous attempts to explain that it wasn't, and that there was no insult in these descriptions, the offence remained, regardless of what said individual claimed to the contrary.

Thank you.

It's also interesting that when you refer to the general population in a way that accurately describes them (most of them know nothing about oil or their cars, that's a fact, not an insult) that this was taken as a massive slight, rather than the description that it was.

Several of us tried to steer the subject technical, the typical fare for this forum, but it went personal for somebody immediately, and despite my numerous attempts to explain that it wasn't, and that there was no insult in these descriptions, the offence remained, regardless of what said individual claimed to the contrary.

It appears to be a clear case of confirmation bias.

Additives have been around for ages. Some are beneficial and most are snake oil and wallet drainers. They always claim to be the best thing since sliced bread.

And for those who wonder about the sliced bread reference, there was a time long ago when you bought bread in a bakery. They would ask if you wanted it sliced. That was extra of course.

If only oil testing was as simple as rubbing your fingers together or grabbing a screwdriver. Heck, fill the engine sump with KY Jelly. I guarantee you won't grip a screwdriver with that. I'm sure the engine will love it.

Back