Slim/shallow subwoofer enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

There are a few very slim (3" deep) subwoofers on the market - designed to go under a seat. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001RJMZRE/ref=aw_cr_d_car?qid=1330248071&sr=8-2

The main issue I have with them is that they all seem to be powered. As i would intend to install a 5-ch amp, i dont need it to be powered. Say I wanted a slim sub enclosure to put under the seat, that was 3" high, max, and not big enough to stick out from under the seat.

I know it is all a compromise, but what isn't?

Id probably want an 8" unit to complement from 300hz down. I'm not intending to play rap or shake the car, just to hear the bass lines in music a bit more.

The cars of interest have 4M speakers up front that can't be any larger, and 5 1/4" in the rear which I'd consider enlarging provided fit and non-gawdy look.

I run an 8 inch JL under my seat in my personal truck.

Just a little 100w amp will really punch up the bottom end. No, no boom like the kids want, but plenty for a more realistic sound.

You need an amp with level and cutout controls so you can tune it. I built the enclosure out of 1/2 inch plywood glued and screwed.

Super easy and cheap.

you need to build a box out of 1/2" or 5/8th MDF

then buy a sub thats designed for slim installation and whatever size box you made (volume)

for looks you can carpet it.
most car audio places can build you the box for a price $$$

all the premade ones sound like tinker toys and are powered.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Just a little 100w amp will really punch up the bottom end. No, no boom like the kids want, but plenty for a more realistic sound.

You need an amp with level and cutout controls so you can tune it. I built the enclosure out of 1/2 inch plywood glued and screwed.

Super easy and cheap.

I don't want the boom, just the right parts to run off a fifth channel at say 100W.

But the considerations of volume, porting, etc all come into play, as does the finding of the right speaker...

You have a BMW also, yes? Check out BSW and see if their shallow sub enclosure would work in your truck... I had them custom make one for me (it is integrated into the side trunk liner/carpet), and with a 10" Focal Utopia Shallow-Mount Subwoofer (16-350hz, 500W RMS, dual 2-ohm coils, recently replaced my JL sub) and it is fantastic.
I really was not wanting to get a sub because everything I had heard before sounded way too bass-heavy if it was a regular depth sub or barely noticeable with shallow subs, but having all Focal Utopia component speakers in my car and absolutely loving them, I went and checked this one out and it is amazing. It was expensive, but it matches everything else and it sounds fantastic.
The difference was akin to switching from my old Sony bookshelf speakers as Front right/left on my home theater, to a 140W/channel (actual) Pioneer receiver, a McIntosh amp, and Cerwin-Vega VE-12's for front speakers. They can accurately reproduce very high sounds while the bass still will hit you like a hammer, if that is how it's supposed to sound (combined with Definitive Technology and Polk Monitor60 II towers, I actually returned the $700 Klipsch Subwoofer because it was completely unnecessary).

You could always check a local car audio shop... They would be more than happy to make a custom enclosure for you.

This would be for me w123 MB cars, which do not have any airflow from the trunk - so mounting there doesn't help... Needs to be under the seat.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I don't want the boom, just the right parts to run off a fifth channel at say 100W.

But the considerations of volume, porting, etc all come into play, as does the finding of the right speaker...

If you don't want the "boom" then don't go with a ported enclosure. Sealed enclosures will give a "tighter" response. Pay attention to the volume requirements for the box as there is usually a not insignificant difference in required volume for a given speaker when mounting in a sealed vs ported enclosure.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Super easy and cheap.

Mine is 12 X 12 X 5 and easily fits under the seat. If you put some cheap carpet around the outside you don't really rtequire much of a mounting, either. Use a JL 6 inch sub and it'll fatten up the bottom end nicely without being stupid boomy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back