Klipsch home theater Sub-10 stopped working. Looking for an upgrade or maybe repair..

I'm a little disappointed at the moment. My trusty downward firing Klipsch Sub-10 stopped working yesterday. I am on the fence about repairing it - new amp for about $250 or "upgrading" to a 12" Klipsch KSW-12. Now about the KSW-12 there are actually two of them as a matching pair, listed locally. Im really shocked about decent subwoofer prices! So i dont think im buying new atm. The KSW-12 are 200 a piece. What should i do? Repair the Sub-10 for $250, buy just one KSW-12, or the pair?.... Recommendations or suggestions on maybe something completely different but not astronomical on price.

I was very happy with the Sub-10 output. It was able to reproduce the most lowest frequencies, and sounded really nice, - I've gotten a few compliments about it actually over the years. But i currently have yet another Klipsch R-120SW 12" subwoofer hooked up as a temp, and it IMHO does not sound as good as the sub-10 so im thinking it has to do with the downward firing layout of the sub or speaker construction? Thanks!!

This is the Sub-10 that stopped working
Sub-10 .jpg

sub10spec.jpg

The KSW-12
KSW-12.jpg

Type: 12" bass reflex, tuned port enclosure Amplifier: Peak output power 441 watts into 4 ohms

FTC Rated Power: 105 watts continuous into 4 ohms,

22-100Hz @ 1% THD maximum
Auto Power On: 2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay Frequency Response: 26-120Hz±3dB
Maximum Acoustic Output: 113dB 1/8 space 1 meter
Low Pass Crossover: Continuously variable from 40-120Hz,

24dB/octave slope above 120Hz
Inputs: 2) Line level RCA phono jacks, 2) High level speaker

terminals
Outputs: 2) High level speaker terminals, High pass filtered

at 100Hz, 6dB/octave slope
Phase: Switchable 0-180 degrees
Drive Component: K-1071-K 12" (30.5cm) driver
Net Weight: 35 lbs. (15.9kg)
Height: 17" (43.18cm)
Width: 15" (38.1cm)
Depth: 15" (38.1cm)
Cabinet: Medium density fiber board construction (MDF) Finish: Matte finish black vinyl
Voltage: 110/120 VAC 60 Hz - Export Version 230

VAC 50/60Hz

And the temp R-120SW currently in use
subwoofer.jpg

R-120SW_Spec-Sheet.jpg

i would be all for reparing it, have you checked out parts express for replacement plate amplifiers? i favor 10" subs my taste especially for music i never found a 12 that was tight enough for my listening taste. also parts express sells their own brand dayton subs they are reasonably priced and have good bang for the buck.

If you really like the current one better, you should repair it. You will be pleased and have it up and running for less than a new one. Don't compromise on it because you won't be happy. I am waiting on a subwoofer purchase. I want to get the one I have wanted for a long time, won't settle for less. But it is expensive and just not happening right now ( SVS PB16 ultra ).

In any case take that box and donate it to goodwill. Someone like me will buy it and fix the probably bad power supply for a couple bucks and it wont go to a landfill. If you really like the sound check with music stores that do amp repairs. The newer amps even same model may not be the same as manufacturers constantly cheapen the components.

i would be all for reparing it, have you checked out parts express for replacement plate amplifiers? i favor 10" subs my taste especially for music i never found a 12 that was tight enough for my listening taste. also parts express sells their own brand dayton subs they are reasonably priced and have good bang for the buck.
Amazing! Thanks for the link, i see the BASH 300S amp listed for under $200, that might be the route i go. I''d love to go SVS but TBH i feel i would need to revamp the whole system first. The current setup is very acceptable for movies, & music, but with some adjustments, the "temp" R-120SW 12 inch Klispch really does not sound as bad as i remember it, but i still miss the Sub-10. It looks like the BASH 300S amp could just screw into place on this Klipsch Sub-10 - am i correct in thinking this would be a simple swap? I've never replaced a amp, so this is all new for me... I also thought about picking up a newer Klipsch 10" woofer speaker and replace both the amp, and speaker then reuse the Sub-10 enclosure. Is all this possible?. The sub-10 speaker is fine, its just if im fixing it, might as well "upgrade" it haha.
Thanks!! :-D

bash 300S.jpg
IMG_2381.jpeg
IMG_2382.jpeg
Klipsch 10 inch .jpg

Take measurements parts express has a very good tech support. I see the pictures you posted it’s a real close fit if you’re comfortable working saws and cutting wood I’d go the route of retro-fitting the bash amp.

If the woofer is not blown I wouldn’t swap it out unless you get the internal cu ft of your sub enclosure and see what woofer would be optimal for enclosure volume and amp 4 or 8 ohm. 4 ohm woofer will play louder over an 8 ohm. Also take in account some woofers perform better ported vs sealed enclosure or vice-versa. Keep us posted and updated.

For our home theater we went with Sonos. Love it and the sound is incredible.
Sonos is very good I have a play1 speaker and I will say am fascinated at the quality and detail of sound. But for me Sonos is not in my budget for a surround system.

So this is taking a different turn, i found a Klipsch Sub-12 locally to me, the Sub-12 is the big brother to my burnt out Sub-10. I loved the Sub-10, and even at half volume, sounded incredible. I also know its a gamble, but i would most definitely fix the Sub-12 if it burns out. I am going to keep the Sub-10, with plans to fix it one day lol.

SUb-12 Spec.jpg

Okay so i went with the Klipsch sub-12... and it really sounds fantastic! I loved the sub-10, but this is on a whole different level. I still plan on fixing the sub-10 and keeping it, and the temp 12" 120SW is going back in the spare room set up.

Attachments

• IMG_2392.jpeg
    IMG_2392.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 12
I seem to recall when these were new the Sub-10s had problems with the amp dying while the Sub-12s didn't seem to have that issue over on the Klipsch Forums...enjoy that Sub...

Bill

I seem to recall when these were new the Sub-10s had problems with the amp dying while the Sub-12s didn't seem to have that issue over on the Klipsch Forums...enjoy that Sub...

Bill
I'll be honest, it sounds like it is pushing alot more power then the 300 RMS 650 peak suggest. I had to turn it wayyyyy down, as i initially set it to the same settings as the sub-10., and i thought the windows were going to break, and every time bass hit, my lights dimmed! LOL. My house cant handle anything larger at this point. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO: I hope to get a few good years out of it. These seem very well built for the money, and are not one hit wonders, while I'm no audio expert, it does the job and then some. :)

Back