Slight changed Mobil 1 0w20 containers

I have been using M1 0w20 in my 2012 V6 Honda Accord since new. I noticed the bottle has changed recently and wondering if these are still the same oil? Looks like the SL spec is missing on the newer bottle on the left. What do you guys think or know about this change?
NaYZqud.jpg

a5J40xQ.jpg

Unsure if anything changed on the inside, just picked up a jug the other day for the Accord.

SL is an outdated spec. SP supersedes it.

On both jugs they list the last 4 oil specs going back many years...latest spec on the left. The jug on the right is a slightly older jug having SN+ as the latest spec, SL as the oldest (SN+, SN, SM & SL) The newer jug on the left is SP so with that added it removes SL from the 4 specs making SM the oldest spec listed (SP,SN+, SN,& SM)
SP May 2020
SN Plus May 2018
SN Oct 2010
SM Nov 2004
SL 2001

Last edited:
Notice that it no longer says "for many GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan". What happened, these brands stop paying Mobil for advertisement?

I have been using M1 0w20 in my 2012 V6 Honda Accord since new. I noticed the bottle has changed recently and wondering if these are still the same oil? Looks like the SL spec is missing on the newer bottle on the left. What do you guys think or know about this change?
NaYZqud.jpg

a5J40xQ.jpg
SL is a old spec. The new jug has been out almost a year I’d say.

Notice that it no longer says "for many GM, Honda, Toyota, Nissan". What happened, these brands stop paying Mobil for advertisement?
No. Pretty much every auto manufacturer specs 0W-20 now, so there’s no need to call it out on the label.

Thanks gentlemen! Any reason to avoid using the older bottle? It is my last one of this vintage. All the others in my stash are the newer version. I imagen the Honda V6 engine wont be able to tell the difference?

Thanks gentlemen! Any reason to avoid using the older bottle? It is my last one of this vintage. All the others in my stash are the newer version. I imagen the Honda V6 engine wont be able to tell the difference?
Use it, most likely whats inside the new bottle is identical to old

That new one on the left was the one I was looking at, too (at WM). It was one of 3 jugs I was considering for my Accord 2.4L - I ultimately chose the QSUD.

Back