slid while braking -tire issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the second paragraph. I sort of believe I am suffering from old tires losing wet weather traction. Opinions?

Had to quickly put on my brakes today at low speed (under 35 mph) and the front wheels slid slightly. Happened twice. There was some wetness on the road surface from a shower about an hour earlier. My tires have about 5/32 tread and are about 5 years old.

I did not notice any pulsing like the ABS kicking on. Otherwise brakes work fine. Just not sure there is any issue.

could it be the oil from the road being hot and then the rain to ? i experienced that a few days ago and my tires are almost new.

If the tires don't have enough tread to evacuate water, you would know because they would hydroplane. However, at under 35 mph, hydroplaning was probably not a factor. So I don't think it's related to your tires being old. 5 years is not that old.

The pavement is the most slippery right after the first rain if it hasn't rained in a while.

What's concerning is that your ABS did not engage. Are you sure your brakes are in good working order?

ABS sensors do get dirty and start making mistakes after many miles and years, but usually accompanied by the dash light. Check your fuses. Some generate codes, some don't. Maybe somethings pending.

Originally Posted By: hardcore302
A rain shower after long dry conditions will bring out oil and such from the road.

Yes...and it's often MORE slick than during a good heavy rain...

5/32 should be enough for decent wet traction...surprised that the ABS did not engage...

It is my 95 bmw, it was morning and it might be possible that streets were bit slicker than normal. As far as i know my abs seems to be working fine. It checks ok when the engine starts and traction control works fine as it activates if i start to get wheel spin. Traction control and ABS work together on this car.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Did you try slamming the brakes afterwards to see if the ABS would engage?

Nope,traffic would not permit and then I forgot. I think I will find some time to "exercise" my brakes enough to engage the abs.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
The pavement is the most slippery right after the first rain if it hasn't rained in a while.

I didn't know that because it hardly ever rains in Texas.

re-checked by stopping quickly on dry pavement. ABS does activate. However car still slides a foot or so when just coming to a complete stop. I can hear the tires squeal a tiny bit. Seems wrong.

Originally Posted By: r34dy2fly
Did you check tire pressure? Underinflated tires will make it screech unnecessarily.

Good point, I checked a few weeks ago. I need to check now that it is about 10 degrees cooler (less than 100 as it was a feww weeks ago)
smile.gif

You need to compare the operation of your ABS to that of another vehicle with the same ABS system. If the other vehicle does not exhibit similar behaviour, stop and make sure your tires are properly matched. Until you know for sure that the system isn't working normally you could just be barking at a tree.

Many wheel speed sensors become unreliable at low speeds. The engineers know this and the software is programmed with a minimum speed for ABS operation. If they didn't do this they could have problems like the GM full size SUVs and pickups that failed to stop at low speeds.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Did you check tire pressure? Underinflated tires will make it screech unnecessarily.

Good point, I checked a few weeks ago. I need to check now that it is about 10 degrees cooler (less than 100 as it was a feww weeks ago)
smile.gif

left front is 3 pounds less than right front. I will equalize and watch.

smile.gif

left front is 3 pounds less than right front. I will equalize and watch.
No change in braking as it still stops fine but that little squeal at the end is still there.
I think I am going to let it go and install new tires later on. Does not seem to be an issue on everyday driving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back